Quantcast

Page 28 of 29 FirstFirst ... 18242526272829 LastLast

Thread: Mega-CD/Sega CD FPGA Optical Disc Emulator

Hero of Algol

Quote Originally Posted by chilled View Post
    Were the amounts in the screenshots the final total personal cost for you or did you have additional customs/vat/whatever costs ? I'm really curious about the Brazil import craze scheme
    Unlike broken claimed, after having imported more than 300 packages (most with multiple items), I've only lost 2 items in like 10+ years.

In terms of being taxed on arrival, it became a problem during Dilma Roussef's (which was a communist bank robber and kidnapper in the 70s-80s) second term as our president. From 2013 to 2016 you had something like a 50% chance of getting the 60% fee. And delivery got really, really slow.
    It went from taking me 2-3 weeks to have packages of CIB MD games arriving at my door from Japan paying less than USD 2.00 of total shipping cost per item to taking 2-3 months and spending a lot more, even if it was just a single item.

Since then and before that it was quite rare to get taxed if you were importing items such as CIB MD games.

During all these years, I got the book thrown at me real hard just once. Which was a EUR 1.00 auction I won at eBay Germany for a SAT/N64/PS1 CIB steering wheel with pedals and then on arrival it got selected for verification and the officers didn't trust it was just EUR 1.00; so they marked it as EUR 125.00 and applied 60% of taxes over that.
    I did applied for revision but they denied my case despite all the documents.
    In that specific case I let it go back to the original sender, so I only lost EUR 1.00 + shipment which at the time from Germany cost me something like BRL 80.00. Our currency had more value back then (this is 2011 or something).

That aside, I got taxed with 60% fee less than a dozen times all these years.
    And I've never paid nearly as much tax for a single item as Pyron had to do this time ever in my life.

Closest case I can remember is when I was part of the One Laptop Per Child initiative and they sent me five XO-1 laptops for a research project. They used DHL Express but the Rochester Institute of Technology paid all the fees on dispatch as they were my project sponsors; the customs fee amounted to BRL 1,535.00 at the time; something around USD 700.00 with the quotation of those years.
    However, no ICMS tax was charged like Pyron got since it was delivered directly to S„o Paulo and I live in S„o Paulo state.
    Last edited by Barone; 09-07-2019 at 03:22 PM.

Raging in the Streets Team Andromeda's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Moham View Post
    I'm guessing that most of you have never imported anything before. Despite what you may think, the tax office are not picking on you as an individual. They have rules they have to follow and they won't just waive a tax bill because you think you've already paid enough for the product.
    I've been importing stuff since 1991 and you run the risk of getting hit with import duty, when buying directly from a country for any item over the vaule of £17. I have no issues with it at all. I think what is getting to a lot of people is the fact Terraonion is an EU based corp and yet people in the EU are getting hit with import tax.
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One

Can anybody say what kinds of additional charges US buyers are seeing?

Mega Driver Hedgehog-in-TrainingWCPO Agent Gryson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Team Andromeda View Post
    I think what is getting to a lot of people is the fact Terraonion is an EU based corp and yet people in the EU are getting hit with import tax.
    That's not correct. He's located in Andorra, which is not part of the EU.

If you're in the US, you're not going to pay any extra fees.

Quote Originally Posted by 3DBB View Post
    Can anybody say what kinds of additional charges US buyers are seeing?
    None. US residents do not pay any import fees for purchases below $800.
    Todd of Terraonion

Quote Originally Posted by Gryson View Post
    That's not correct. He's located in Andorra, which is not part of the EU.

If you're in the US, you're not going to pay any extra fees.
    They ship from Andorra I'm sure the R&D is done in the EU, so that what winds up some and where's there's some confusion . I have no issue with any corp looking to pay less tax or the fact that one gets hit with Import Duty, when buying directly from a country.
    Like I said I blame the EU and their tax harmonisation for people getting hit with the high charge in the EU and for the end of Duty-Free in the EU LOL.

Back at the start of the internet era Our customs (UK) weren't so hot and I used to import loads of DVD's from the USA and never got hit, now customs are red hot and these days I get stung for importing various Shout Factory BluRay horror films that one can't buy in the UK, where most times the cost of the BluRay is barley over the UK personal import limit.
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Somebody on Twitter mentioned they're being assembled in Barcelona then shipped to Andorra to Terra OnionÖ no idea if true or not, but I wouldn't be surprised.

Can we agree that all of this is a mess? Moving to Andorra may have saved Terra Onion some taxes but in turn the fact that DHL Express (i.e. a premium courier) ended up becoming the only option to ship seems to be backfiring spectacularly on anybody who doesn't live in the US (and maybe Japan, since apparently their import taxes are absurd low). I mean, some countries already have it bad as it is (see: Brazil), but apparently it got awful even by those standards.

Unless it came from us on Twitter, consider it incorrect.

pcbs are manufactured and smt soldered in Spain. Any paper stuff like manuals, stickers and boxes are made in Spain. Our plastic shells are made in China. Everything gets shipped to Andorra for assembly. Once assembled itís serialized and flashed to latest firmware and tested, boxed and shipped.
    Todd of Terraonion

Mega Driver Hedgehog-in-TrainingWCPO Agent Gryson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sik View Post
    the fact that DHL Express (i.e. a premium courier) ended up becoming the only option to ship seems to be backfiring spectacularly on anybody who doesn't live in the US (and maybe Japan, since apparently their import taxes are absurd low).
    DHL has nothing to do with paying import taxes. You'd have to pay them in the EU no matter how you shipped them or where you shipped them from.

In the case of Brazil, yes, only having DHL would make it difficult to import since it's guaranteed double the cost, but I'm not sure TerraOnion deserves the blame for that.

I didn't say just DHL tho, but specifically DHL Express (i.e. expensive even among DHL's offerings).

Training-in-Hedgehog Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert tokay's Avatar

BTW you misspelled "Analogue" at the last page of the manual.

Death Bringer Raging in the Streets Black_Tiger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gryson View Post
    DHL has nothing to do with paying import taxes. You'd have to pay them in the EU no matter how you shipped them or where you shipped them from.

In the case of Brazil, yes, only having DHL would make it difficult to import since it's guaranteed double the cost, but I'm not sure TerraOnion deserves the blame for that.
    DHL collects import taxes from Canadians when Canada Post and CBSA at a border crossing likely wouldn't.

But I expect this and if I don't want to get gouged by DHL buying from TerraOnion I can wait several months and get gouged by DHL buying from Stoneage Gamer.

I guess that Americans are spoiled by rarely paying customs charges. What I don't like about DHL and similar companies is that I pay their ransom in advance and navigate their broken site to give delicery instructions... which they never follow. I then have to arrange to pick up from one of their locations and not once have they sent it to the correcf one the first time.

When I bought my second SSS3 and a couple other items from SAG, the package arrived in my area in a day and a half, but it took a week and a half for me to physically get it from DHL.
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

Quote Originally Posted by Sik View Post
    Moving to Andorra may have saved Terra Onion some taxes but in turn the fact that DHL Express (i.e. a premium courier) ended up becoming the only option to ship seems to be backfiring spectacularly on anybody who doesn't live in the US (and maybe Japan, since apparently their import taxes are absurd low). I mean, some countries already have it bad as it is (see: Brazil), but apparently it got awful even by those standards.
    TBH when paying quite a lot of money for an item I would want a Premium courier. I like to use UPS myself, but there you go. Maybe the it could have been more clear, but to be honest most countries outside the EU will have various and quite different duty charges.
    Like I said even with the Duty, this product is more than worth it, it plays almost any Mega Drive, Master System, Mega CD game you can throw at it. I'm amazed at how good the Mega CD games are to play on the unit
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One

Quote Originally Posted by broken View Post
    None. US residents do not pay any import fees for purchases below $800.
    Thanks!

Nameless One

Received my Mega SD today. Iím well impressed, I prepped my SD card when I ordered it back in July so I was ready to go.
    This runs MD games my EverDrive did not (Frogger).

Every Mega CD game has ran including Heart of the Alien which I couldnít get to run on my original hardware for love nor money. Iíve noticed the sound goes out of sync on NTSC FMV games which will give the push to mod my Mega Drive to 60Hz.

The only game Iíve not managed to get running is the GG2SMS game Dropzone. I presume there is some trickery with the GG2SMS games to get them to run on a MS which might not be available on a Mega Drive.

Really, really pleased. Yes the Mega SD is pricey but for me itís well worth it.

Thread Information