Quantcast

Page 5 of 29 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Mega-CD/Sega CD FPGA Optical Disc Emulator

Mega Driven Raging in the Streets cleeg's Avatar

I can't find any info on the site regarding the dreaded voltage difficulties. Anyone here have any theories? I'm probably going to get one though!

Essentially people wondering if it'll use up too much power because of all the stuff it needs to run, though it seems it uses up less than Virtua Racing? (for context, Virtua Racing uses up 120mA) We should remember that not only there's no physical drive (which was probably the biggest power eater on the Sega CD), but that hardware is much more efficient nowadays.

In case of doubt, get a brick that can feed more power (i.e. higher amperes value). Worst case, it just has power to spare :​P

Thanks Sik. I was wondering more about the 3.3 / 5v thing. I can't wait to run this on a Nomad, though I agree with Flygon that a separate unit would be better for home setups. It'd just look cooler.

EDIT - Bugger it, just ordered!
    Last edited by cleeg; 06-18-2019 at 04:12 PM.

Mastering your Systems Shining Hero TmEE's Avatar

It has proper level translation so that part is not a problem.
    Death To MP3, :3
    Mida sa loed ? Nagunii aru ei saa "Gnirts test is a shit" New and growing website of total jawusumness !
    If any of my images in my posts no longer work you can find them in "FileDen Dump" on my site ^

Outrunner

Imagine if Terra Onion and Analog joined forces to make an FPGA Mega CD module complete with physical CD drive for the Mega SG. How cool would that be?

Quote Originally Posted by TmEE View Post
    It has proper level translation so that part is not a problem.
    Thank you sir.

Death Bringer Raging in the Streets Black_Tiger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by crazyteknohed View Post
    Imagine if Terra Onion and Analog joined forces to make an FPGA Mega CD module complete with physical CD drive for the Mega SG. How cool would that be?
    If you want a CD drive and everything else FPGA, just use a Sega/Mega-CD with Mega SG and Mega SD.
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

SITE SUPERVILLAIN Outrunner Vector's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Redifer View Post
    I don't know which of these threads to post in. I choose this one I guess.

Anyway, did anyone besides me notice that Batman Returns is running WAY too fast? What could be the reason for this? Now as I understand it, the Sega CD works by rendering the scene in its ASIC as it takes care of the scaling and rotation stuffs. It then sends each image to the Genesis to display as a background plane. But the bandwidth is limited. That's why scaling/rotation stuff could only display at around 15-20fps if they were really lucky. Does the cartridge port have the same bandwidth as the expansion port? If it has more, then maybe we can get higher fps in the existing scaling games. If it's the same, then the FPGA is just rendering it too fast, we're still getting that 15-20fps for Batman Returns, we're just "skipping" frames. I'm amazed that nobody else has mentioned this.
    They answered about framerates/speed of certain CD games being faster to people who asked, they said it'll get fixed in firmware updates.
    Last edited by Vector; 07-08-2019 at 04:42 AM.
    My Feedback : http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...orman-feedback
    My Youtube : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKAhCCdRxXo
    Quote Originally Posted by axel View Post
    Is this guy the new forum villain? LOL
    They called me Mr. Glass =)

Outrunner

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Tiger View Post
    If you want a CD drive and everything else FPGA, just use a Sega/Mega-CD with Mega SG and Mega SD.
    Ah but a) we are relying on ageing hardware and b) it doesn’t fit aesthetically with Mega SG.

WCPO Agent

Quote Originally Posted by King Of Chaos View Post
    That and the 2 SH-2 chips.
    Here's an SH-2 implementation in Verilog: https://opencores.org/projects/aquarius

But, if anyone actually does this I hope it becomes a standalone Neptune vs. an add-on with video cables. Maybe a future version of the Mega Sg could include the SH-2s on the FPGA and license this Sega CD implementation, add Game Gear and SG-1000 compatibility and you have one device that runs a dozen years worth of Sega hardware. Doubt it happens anytime soon though, seems like it would be very expensive to produce.

Quote Originally Posted by crazyteknohed View Post
    That would be redundant. If you want new hardware that plays your original Sega CD discs then use your computer or the Polymega.

MegaSD will offer a better overall experience on Mega SG than a real Sega CD unit or even a brand new physical CD unit.

- Don't have to dick around with original discs or waste time burning them.

- Slightly faster load times.

- Built in Sega CD Save ram pack

- Ability to load any Sega CD bios you want.

- Can change multi disc games at the touch of a button.

- No second powersupply needed.

- Nice small form factor. Can easily take a Mega SG + MegaSD with you to a friends house.
    Last edited by BRNexus7; 06-18-2019 at 09:21 PM.

Extreme Procrastinator Master of Shinobi Flygon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by axel View Post
    Here's an SH-2 implementation in Verilog: https://opencores.org/projects/aquarius

But, if anyone actually does this I hope it becomes a standalone Neptune vs. an add-on with video cables. Maybe a future version of the Mega Sg could include the SH-2s on the FPGA and license this Sega CD implementation, add Game Gear and SG-1000 compatibility and you have one device that runs a dozen years worth of Sega hardware. Doubt it happens anytime soon though, seems like it would be very expensive to produce.
    I'm no expert - but getting an FPGA, or a pair of, big enough in capacity to load up and run a pair of SH-2s is probably prohibitively expensive. In the hundreds of dollars.
    I'm just going by what I've heard from people far smarter than me.

It's just a bit of a shame the specific SH-2 variant the 32x used isn't manufactured anymore - SH-2s for other embedded applications are still manufactured.

Quick afterthought edit: I'm still very very interested in this product - I would have a tremendous utility for it. But I wish for it to launch, and iron itself out, first. The MEGA CD is a complex beast!

Quote Originally Posted by Flygon View Post
    I'm no expert - but getting an FPGA, or a pair of, big enough in capacity to load up and run a pair of SH-2s is probably prohibitively expensive. In the hundreds of dollars.
    I'm just going by what I've heard from people far smarter than me.

It's just a bit of a shame the specific SH-2 variant the 32x used isn't manufactured anymore - SH-2s for other embedded applications are still manufactured.

Quick afterthought edit: I'm still very very interested in this product - I would have a tremendous utility for it. But I wish for it to launch, and iron itself out, first. The MEGA CD is a complex beast!

For anyone on the fence, Bob of RetroRGB and Modern Vintage Gamer on Youtube will have in depth reviews of the MegaSD come Thursday.
    Last edited by broken; 06-18-2019 at 11:46 PM.

So why does this not have to plug into the expansion slot like the original Mega CD?

Because the expansion slot is similar to the cartridge slot (meaning a lot of the behavior is the same, but on a different address range) and on top of that the latter is capable of snooping every access (even those not belonging to itself). You just don't see this very often because it involves way more hardware than the usual game will ever need.

Thread Information