Quantcast

Page 13 of 24 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast

Thread: Mega-CD/Sega CD FPGA Optical Disc Emulator

SITE SUPERVILLAIN Outrunner Vector's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by crazyteknohed View Post

Or a Mega SG.
    nihilblack

Mega SG + Mega SD + 8bitdo M30 2.4g = Ultimate Mega Drive for the 21st Century.
    No thanks, because there is no 32x support for Mega SG/clone system and that costs what - another $200+ !? Way too much for hdmi output. I love playing virtua racing deluxe and virtua fighter 16:9 mode along with 8 other games on my 32x, I don't just ignore 32x existed (it sold 600,000+ when it launched to first 3 months correct in NA in 1994?) or blow off the pre saturn 32x carts of space harrier or afterburner (hey 30 fps looks good enough for me) like many others do on youtube. "It doesn't have 32x support but who cares nobody likes 32x anyway" - Every Youtuber who reviewed Mega SG.
    Last edited by Vector; 07-08-2019 at 09:49 AM.
    My Feedback : http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...orman-feedback
    My Youtube : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKAhCCdRxXo
    Quote Originally Posted by axel View Post
    Is this guy the new forum villain? LOL
    They called me Mr. Glass =)

Stuck in the Past Shining Hero The Jackal's Avatar

I thought I read somewhere that the Mega SG was getting 32X support in the future via some add-on?

Quote Originally Posted by The Jackal View Post
    I thought I read somewhere that the Mega SG was getting 32X support in the future via some add-on?
    That's the Mega SD, and would only trigger 32X CD support.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg2600 View Post
    What is the best "Sega CD 32 X" game in your opinion? I think Night Trap was altered or edited voilence compared to original, but looked way better. Maybe Corpse Killer LOL idk. I read in an old thread somewhere Capcom was going to release SSF2T and Konami Castlevania 32X on SCD32X but everybody went to Saturn? Those 2 would have been the best. 4000 colors, CD audio a mesh of 16 and 32 bit. What great losses for 32x =(

Basically you get better FMV with the 32X CD, ha ha ha! For the half dozen games or whatever that are compatible.

You really cannot fault Terra Onion if the cart doesn't play 32X without the console. Nothing does. The Mega SG doesn't. It's due to how the 32X video is mixed with the Genesis' video. I don't believe an FPGA core exists for it yet either, so little T.O. could have done. It plays the roms though with the add-on, same as Mega Everdrive.

Basically you get better FMV with the 32X CD, ha ha ha! For the half dozen games or whatever that are compatible.

You really cannot fault Terra Onion if the cart doesn't play 32X without the console. Nothing does. The Mega SG doesn't. It's due to how the 32X video is mixed with the Genesis' video. I don't believe an FPGA core exists for it yet either, so little T.O. could have done. It plays the roms though with the add-on, same as Mega Everdrive.
    Well Saturn has many chips like SH2 that can be emulated great now for example by PolyMega so why can't 32x SH1 chips (SH1 not urban legend SH2 like Saturn correct?) be emulated, it can on Kega? Why not put Snakes new Kega 4.0 from Polymega on a fpga board with hdmi option, that sits on top of mega sd board/cart with a master system and genesis passthrough - then thats 2 less power supplies and 4 systems can be played by just with 1 power supply in wall and hdmi output for an OG Genesis system =) Master System, Genesis, SCD fgpa and 32x fgpa? I would like Mega SD owner here to read and think about this idea.

Now with 33% more @$$! Master of Shinobi Assman's Avatar

No, Analogue's expressed their intent to add 32X compatibility to the Mega SG in the future. This is in the FAQ:

Can I use 32x with Mega Sg?

Sega 32x is currently not supported with Mega Sg due to its reliance on multi analog video output linking. We are exploring solutions to support 32x post Mega Sg launch.

Quote Originally Posted by Assman View Post
    No, Analogue's expressed their intent to add 32X compatibility to the Mega SG in the future. This is in the FAQ:
    Again, highly impossible unless they put something like Kega in SG firmware update. I bought or seen many retro things over the years with the promise of "we are hoping to give buyers future updates that might, possibly, one day...fix some issues" LOL 75% of them never offer no solution or give any significant updates. I couldn't even get wavs to play on any Everdrive I had as advertised, whether 13 khz or 22 instead of 44.1 ! They got your money knowing you didn't have 32 x or wav support, and 99.9% they never will offer it even if they mention or promise you the heavens with a "future update" sentence.

Honestly, the best solution for keeping at least 1 OG hardware setup is to either put Kega 4.0 on Mega SD so it can play 32x and Sega CD games and you only need to plug in 1 power supply, maybe add HDMI output on that. Take it out to play Master System games maybe, or not if passthrough like 32x mod is thought of. Or sell this (Mega SD) but also sell a 32x cart one day. I highly doubt you will see anything 32x related from Mega SG clone.

It is either buy $ 200+ SG clone with no 32x support + $ 199 real Sega CD unit if you want that hopefully no tray or fuse or cap problems or buy this $ 200+ SD thing that supports everything + $ 99 32x unit + $ 19 Genesis if you don't have one LOL but many of us here at least do. I'll go with later, plus it is cheaper. However adding 32x cart with hdmi out one day would be nice. 1 power supply and 4 systems with hdmi output + "everdrive" + sega cd + back up cart + 32x out of core OG model 1 Genesis.

Everybody says 32x SH1 (not SH2 correct) can't be emulated but Kega did it for decades. If Snake worked with Polymega (I wished for a Kega living room option for years now there is one), ask him to put his new version in "32 X SD HDMI fgpa cart" and sell for $ 99 (they go for that 2nd hand now anyway, again cheaper than $ 199 for sega cd + mega sg clone $ 200 =0 that is $ 400 with no 32x support so - no thanks).

I would definitely like to hear broken/Mega SD creator thoughts on this =)

Many people say who cares about 32x, but my signature below proves and explains why many people are fond of 32x. If Snake Kega 4.0 can be on Polymega, surly SD guy can hire him for "32 X SD HDMI output cart". I would, if I had competitors. Again a $ 19 model 1 Genesis + $ 200+ Sega CD/Backup/Everdrive + $ 99 32 X with HDMI output cart is cheaper than great capture cards or Mega SG + OG Sega CD option.

Who knows, here is a better idea - there might still be time to add all this (32x and hdmi) in this Mega SD unit, just increase price to $ 299 and call it version 2.0. If anybody who already pre ordered Mega SD 1.0 would like to transfer that money to the 2.0 Mega SD/Sega CD/32X/HDMI option, let them do so. All this is actually not hard. Contact Snake, ask him yes or no for 4.0 Kega on Mega SD, put a hdmi port on unit and de$troy (PolyMega and mini) or be a valued a$$et (Mega SG), to your competition.
    Last edited by Vector; 07-03-2019 at 12:00 PM.

Stupid thought butů how the heck do you expect them to put Kega on something that can't even run normal software? (the only CPUs are the 68000 and Z80 implemented over FPGA)

I thought Polymega advertised itself as fpga (at some point) yet is bragging about Snakes new Kega 4.0 software esp for 32x with improved audio etc in damn near every video I see about it. They also claimed to create their own Sega CD bios, not using ones from hardware floating around from the internet for decades. So, why can't the Kega software boot up in this for the 32x section from a additional chip? Also is hdmi output from Mega SD too much to be asked for out of a $ 260+ product? Point is everyone says 32 X SH1 (not SH2) is impossible to emulate yet its been done since 2004. Besides a real 32x, the only thing near it is Kega to play 32x games right? Why not get Snake to boot up software from an additional chip when in 32x mode like Polymega? Unless Polymega isn't fully fpga no more but semi? Idk.

Idk, I'm asking because I think this is a good idea for TerraOnion. Isn't the old software bios you add (ripped from hardware online for decades), data going to a chip to boot Sega SD isos software from SD card for Mega SD fgpa ? I also mentioned they could sell a "32 x cart" later as well, but why not just add it to current version?

Nobody wants 2 power supplies in wall (genesis + 32x) or buying a separate 32x and power supply (they are already eliminating hardware sega cd + sega cd power supply purchase) or worse buying non transformer cheap hum inducing "retro power supplies" now a days. Many people brought this up in the thread, I'm just trying to hammer it home. Better off getting an original OG genesis for $14, the original power supply with transformer that eliminates buzzing noise (that these new cheap non transformer power supplies are getting notorious for) for $10 and buy this SD $ 250 + unit that can do the rest (sega cd + 32 x + hdmi). Its already an everdrive + sega cd backup cart + sega cd anyway, why not add a Kega software that I'm guessing boots up from a system in a chip like Polymega? And hdmi support? Then, we have it all. 1 power supply, 1 real system, 2 fgpa or fake sega cd and 32x systems + everdrive + sega cd memory cart with maybe hdmi support. "I'll buy that for a dollar" or 250 =) Which would still be cheaper than Mega SG and Sega CD unit ($ 400). Compared to $275 or so for this. Also, how can SG add 32x support from a firmware update when no 32x chips or an extra system on a chip for that is inside SG? Ah. Correct. Only way, would be to add software that boots up Kega in the firmware somehow for 32x. There is simply, no other way. And I feel like saying they could is false advertising just like Krillex "play wavs on everdrive" claim which I never met anybody who proved they could play 13 khz, 22 khz or any khz wav playing from an everdrive.

If the Dreamcast could boot PC like emulator software and roms from gd-rom/cd-r in 2000, I'm not sure why if Snake made an alteration to his Kega 4.0 why it couldn't boot from this SD device, or if an additional system in a chip is used like SD DC Dreamshell 4.0 bios and chip did?
    Last edited by Vector; 07-03-2019 at 01:56 PM.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert nihilblack's Avatar

Polymega ditched the FPGA model, now it's essentially a PC running emulators.

Quote Originally Posted by nihilblack View Post
    Polymega ditched the FPGA model, now it's essentially a PC running emulators.
    Ah, ok then. Well, is it impossible to add an additional chip to this that boots something that boots Kega 32x? I find it impossible that with no 32x chips or an additional chip inside the SG, that claims of 32x firmware magical updates might be possible in the future for that product. Also, if hdmi requires extra power, since Genesis has native rgb, why not add vga port on SD instead of hdmi that might require 5v of extra power?
    Last edited by Vector; 07-03-2019 at 01:36 PM.

Terraonion could add 32X support (they didn't release the product yet, after all) but that may delay it and bump the price further (and lots of people are already on the fence thanks to the latter, so better don't push it for now).

Analogue said they'd attempt to see if 32X support can be added, but gave no guarantees about it. It boils down to whether it ends up being feasible to cram it into the existing FPGA or not. Worst case, they'll need to resort to a separate add-on to cram in the 32X into its own FPGA (albeit they have the advantage that they can update the Mega Sg's FGPA firmware to play nicer with said add-on).

Mega Sg could have supported the original 32X if it wasn't because the 32X really really wants to take over the video output. That, huh, doesn't play nice with the Mega Sg's own HDMI output (as 32X won't play nice with that), and while trying to capture the 32X's own output is in theory possible, not only it requires a dedicated port (which I don't think Mega Sg has) but as far as I'm aware it hasn't been confirmed if it's actually doable in practice (it depends on how much the 32X messes with the video signal).

Quote Originally Posted by Sik View Post
    Terraonion could add 32X support (they didn't release the product yet, after all) but that may delay it and bump the price further (and lots of people are already on the fence thanks to the latter, so better don't push it for now).
    I wouldn't mind a delay and pay an extra $50 if I could lose 2 hardware and 2 power supply things from my OG genesis yet still play them =) That is just me and some others now, but if they make a 2.0 version like we discussed, I'll wait to buy that.

Analogue said they'd attempt to see if 32X support can be added, but gave no guarantees about it. It boils down to whether it ends up being feasible to cram it into the existing FPGA or not. Worst case, they'll need to resort to a separate add-on to cram in the 32X into its own FPGA (albeit they have the advantage that they can update the Mega Sg's FGPA firmware to play nicer with said add-on).
    Ok. And like I said, as of right now, if you bought the SG already it is impossible IMO. Like you said, you would have to buy an additional component boosting it up from $ 400 for mega sg + sega cd or this to more $$$. That is automatically off the table for me and others.

Mega Sg could have supported the original 32X if it wasn't because the 32X really really wants to take over the video output. That, huh, doesn't play nice with the Mega Sg's own HDMI output (as 32X won't play nice with that), and while trying to capture the 32X's own output is in theory possible, not only it requires a dedicated port (which I don't think Mega Sg has) but as far as I'm aware it hasn't been confirmed if it's actually doable in practice (it depends on how much the 32X messes with the video signal).
    Look at how far we came. A SMS passthrough for 32x has been proven, reverse engineering clone fgpa have been proven to be great, hdmi output for these devices exist now and maybe from a sega 32x section video hdmi is possible. You simply plug genesis, master system (passthrough discovery) and 32x games in 32x shaped cart plug in, to output everything kind of like what stock genesis and 32x can already do (plus again modded sms 32x discovery). Why wouldn't people want that?

And before people say 32x is super niche, look at all the youtube comments with people disappointing SG and SD can't do 32x. Or happy SG can accept niche Sega CD. Nobody wants to pay $ 99 for a 32x (it is sky rocketing) or $200+ for sega cd and nobody wants all these power supplies in their wall or to plug and unplug 32x for master system games etc. Now, if people don't care about 32x that is cool, but the option should still exist for those that do like it. Because a lot more people are interested in 32 x in 2019 than probably ever before, and youtube comments and posts I see even in this thread or Mega SG stuff reflect that. Maybe because 32X is the new hoard collector thing to get? Whatever the reason, it is in high demand for such a niche thing. Just like people are exited about this niche Sega CD SD thing for =) I'll pay $399 for a cart that does sega cd, 32x, everdrive, sega cd back up, homebrew, save states, cd audio of genesis carts, actually plays wavs or mp3s, has hdmi or vga etc etc etc and will still be cheaper than SG and SCD + this. You know. 1 OG Genesis, 1 OG power supply and 1 magic SD cart like this would be all me and others will ever need =)
    Last edited by Vector; 07-03-2019 at 02:26 PM.

The problem is money. You could throw in everything and the kitchen sink, but the price will end up being so high that you may as well buy a modern system for cheaper.

I know people want a MD+MCD+32X+Master System+Game Gear+SG-1000+HDMI+SD card+extra extensions all in one, but that's not feasible as it is right now unless you want to pay lots of money (and nobody does). Somebody will first need to figure out how to drop the cost (or wait for larger FPGAs to become cheaper).

Thread Information