Quantcast

Page 19 of 29 FirstFirst ... 9151617181920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: Mega-CD/Sega CD FPGA Optical Disc Emulator

SITE SUPERVILLAIN Outrunner Vector's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Barone View Post
    Well, we both know you're a nut job who had been permabanned and then returned with an alt account.
    Hey according to people here that was almost " SIX YEARS AGO " discussing that is irreverent and " neurotic " =) Just as I predicted from last page though, I knew you or somebody would bring that up. It is all you got. Besides defending myself for asking questions here now and the argument with Joe and homebrew guy once, that is all there was. You and Treks (Batman and Robin) had made it a mission to try to annoy me for years with derailing my threads by 20 pages of bickering http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...gt-SNES/page20 or that one claim over and over again but not anymore (or corny "your double posting Vector" damn I only post like 3 times a week anyway LOL, yet those 2 will constantly double post they might even do it in this thread too but if I do it "omg that is wrong", but they do it "oh its okay to retype/recap things people should have read in first place into type bible sized posts" yup), we both apologized to each other for arguing etc and he apologized for banning me in first place. Need proof?

http://i65.tinypic.com/30kd6br.jpg

So, there you go. I should have never been banned in first place nor suspended 3 times. Maybe once or twice suspended, sure I agree but even Joe said banning was too harsh. We even were positive at end of conversation and I subbed to his youtube channel and answered him in this thread about Batman Returns framerate issues, from a member of TerraOnion youtube team. I guess it will be addressed or can be fixed with firmware update. At least I'm staying on topic, not just posting in threads to jab you constantly.

I'm editing this now because broken says Joe from Game Sack will review unit. That and My Life In Gaming are the only 2 reviews I want to see because they will be professional done and honest (they don't see out of rose tinted glasses because somebody just sent them something early from a company, they are used to that) and address pros and cons. Also, I'll be referring Sega16s Batman and Robin to this post for clarity in the future.

I understand that you're mentally unstable and incapable of proper textual communication, but, seriously, just shut the fuck up.
    Or. Maybe you can shut the fuck up for once. Hmmm. People are talking to me so I'm replying to them. Simple concept. Who was talking to you via your I'm insane or w/e implication and jab from last page LOL. Oh wait, nobody. Was any of the text I typed here now in this post hard for you to comprehend and read too? Probably.
    Last edited by Vector; 07-13-2019 at 01:01 PM.
    My Feedback : http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...orman-feedback
    My Youtube : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKAhCCdRxXo
    Quote Originally Posted by axel View Post
    Is this guy the new forum villain? LOL
    They called me Mr. Glass =)

Hero of Algol

Nobody wants to talk to you, Vector.
    People are just trying to have a conversation with broken about his new product while you're having yet another outburst in your basement.

Move over, buddy!

Oh, is Vector having another meltdown?

Quote Originally Posted by TrekkiesUnite118 View Post
    Oh, is Vector having another meltdown?
    Abracabra it's the cunt sisters trek's and barone. Here to derail this thread like my saturn>SNES thread by 20 pages after my post? Lol

Quote Originally Posted by Vector View Post
    Abracabra it's the cunt sisters trek's and barone. Here to derail this thread like my saturn>SNES thread by 20 pages after my post? Lol
    Actually I saw Barone posted and thought "Oh I wonder what his thoughts are on this device" only to find that, to my disappointment, it's just you throwing a tantrum.

Quote Originally Posted by TrekkiesUnite118 View Post
    Actually I saw Barone posted and thought "Oh I wonder what his thoughts are on this device" only to find that, to my disappointment, it's just you throwing a tantrum.
    Abracadabra. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bg-PH-kjTPM
    Last edited by Vector; 07-10-2019 at 12:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vector View Post
    Abracadabra.

They called me Mr. Glass.

Enough. Those who cannot hold a civil conversation will not speak at all. Back on topic.

I just finally got back home and saw this thread as well. I trust Broken 100% with what he's doing with Terraonion. If people can't be civil with the mud-slinging over such petty shit, I'm going to start breaking my foot off in people's asses.
    05/05/15

I mean really everybody, its a video game forum. Don't curse at others. Please be civil.
    Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    The Sega Saturn was God's gift to humanity. This is inarguable fact!
    Quote Originally Posted by llj View Post
    Count me as someone who never liked the Turbo/Hyper Fighting iterations of Street Fighter 2. The speed ups always struck me as too "Benny Hill".

Feedback Thread: http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...ack&highlight=

I have a complaint: broken should be forced to change his screen name to Yodd

Hero of Algol

For those struggling to follow this eventful thread, here's a summary:

Q1) I'm concerned about how the cart draws power to run the games. Is it safe to have it use just the Genesis?
    A1 (TerraOnion): Mega SD consumes less power than the Virtua Racing cartridge.

Q2) I was wondering more about the 3.3V / 5.0V thing.
    A2 (TmEE): It has proper level translation so that part is not a problem.

Q3) So why does this not have to plug into the expansion slot like the original Mega CD?
    A3 (Sik): Because the expansion slot is similar to the cartridge slot (meaning a lot of the behavior is the same, but on a different address range) and on top of that the latter is capable of snooping every access (even those not belonging to itself). You just don't see this very often because it involves way more hardware than the usual game will ever need.

Q4) My worry here that as these FPGA based solutions are embraced as the "premium" option people will start to care about the original system less and less, we are told things like "It will prolong the life of your hardware" or "it's not emulation! it's real hardware implemented in FPGA" the first one I've already mentioned isn't true and the second is up for debate.
    I guess the real problems here are that now this exists I seriously doubt anyone will bother to make a drive replacement for the original Sega CD systems now, and how many easily fixable consoles will just end up in a landfill because this will be seen as a superior option.
    A4 (Sik): Being stuck to prolonging the lifetime of the original hardware is the worst thing you can do.

Those parts aren't only going to start aging but there won't be replacement parts anymore. Optical drives are quickly being phased away (most computers being sold don't have them anymore), so eventually the supply of available spare parts will dwindle down to non-existent. The custom chips will eventually die too (some chips from the '70s are already dead, albeit admittedly the manufacturing processes back then were much worse than a decade or so later). The pins in the slots will bend in ways that are a pain to reasonably repair. The media the games are on will eventually get damaged too. Obsolescence is kicking in even faster than all that (nowadays you pretty much have to use an upscaler with a modern TV or you'll be in trouble).

The focus by this point shouldn't be to cling to older hardware, it should be to recreate it. We still need to keep the older systems around for reference (to figure out how they should behave down to the weird edge case quirks), but for practical purposes our focus should be on making new implementations of that hardware, down to eventually replacing the whole original console.

Q5) I've watched RetroRGB video about MegaSD and it's strange that he does not mention the loading times.
    A5 (TerraOnion): As far as load time goes, it's similar or slightly faster than real hardware. This is done to maintain compatibility with Genesis and Mega Drive consoles. You can only fudge this kind of stuff so far before you run the risk of having game compatibility issues. While emulators might have instant-ish load time, you have to be careful when interfacing real hardware. Also, all the videos posted above to our channel was captured by me. They give you a good idea of real world performance with the MegaSD. I seriously doubt anyone will be displeased with load times.

Q6) If that audio comparison is anything to go by, CDDA sounds noticeably worse on the Mega SD.
    A6 (TerraOnion): The comment about CDDA audio being inferior to a real CD unit. This isn't exactly the case. If you were to rip a cdda audio track from a game in your computer and then compare it with a recording of the audio from a console with the MegaSD and from the same console with a SegaCD, you will find that the MegaSD cdda audio matches the ripped track virtually identically. However the Sega CD capture will have a slight treble increase as those units have some type of artificial treble boost.
    We worked with FirebrandX closely to get the audio as accurate as possible.

There have been some comments about the PCM audio on the MegaSD sounding a little too clean. We have spoke with Ace and are testing along with FirebrandX a new low pass filter for PCM audio that is identical to what Sega CD hardware has. We will probably add that as an option in the Options menu for people so they can toggle it off and on depending on their preference.

Q7) Thank God they went with a font and lower case text in the menu! The SSD3/NeoSD I cannot read the names!
    A7 (TerraOnion): Yeah we plan to do a overhaul on the menu system and font of the SSDS3. Basically back port some of the design elements (the icons to represent type of game, font) from MegaSD. Hopefully that happens this summer.

Q8) Does the Mega SD support the Super Street Fighter II mapper (32M+8M) and does it support the 10M Flatmapped rom support used by a lot of Russian Mortal Kombat hacks?
    A8 (TerraOnion): Yes to both!

Q9) Also Pier Solar and its custom mapper?
    A9 (TerraOnion): Yes, Pier Solar is supported as is the optional music CD.

Q10) Did you test Duke Nukem 3D's save with Mega SD? I'm asking because that game uses a bit unusual save RAM size IIRC and some Everdrive MD revisions don't work properly with it. You seem to have saved successfully but then it fails to load your save.
    A10 (TerraOnion): Yes, it works. In fact, that game was not properly detected to use the SRAM overlay mapper, but I've added it to the firmware and it's working fine.

Q11) Do the EEPROM save-based games such as NBA Jam TE (bigger list here: http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...l=1#post619874) require hacking/conversion to battery save to have their saving system working or are they all going to work without any additional trouble for the Mega SD owner?
    I'm not talking about save sates.
    A11 (TerraOnion): Yes, EEPROM carts are supported without patches. We have just one issue with Megaman Willy Wars not properly reading the save, but I hope it will be fixed today.

Q12) Does Mega SD allows you to control Mega Drive/Sega CD volume balance? I mean, games such as Space Adventure Cobra (Lords of Thunder is another offender) have very loud YM2612 instrumentation and if you don't have the Mega Drive 1's volume slider to control it you can barely here the voice overs in the game.
    Furthermore, would it be possible to control PSG and FM volume levels independently?
    A12 (TerraOnion): Yes. You can adjust CDDA and PCM volumes separately, also from the in-game menu. Default volume is 80% for both, so you have a bit of room to increase it.
    PSG and FM volumes are internal to the console, so they can't be changed.

Q13) MSU1 like feature is interesting but is there any chance of implementing something that would make it feasible to re-route Mega Drive games PCM playback to use the Ricoh RF5C164 instead?
    A13 (TerraOnion): Yes, the enhanced SSF2 mapper allows mapping the MegaCD PCM chip for use it from the console 68k space, so you can have PCM audio without needing sub cpu programs or any MegaCD related.
    Although keep in mind that the PCM chip is quite limited, it's 8 bit PCM, and only 64KB sound ram, so sounds usually need to be streamed into it. I think you can probably use the Z80 to access it too as long as you keep the PCM mapping set. I think we could extend the memory to 128KB, but it's currently not implemented.

Q14) MD-side overclock breaks Sega CD compatibility when using real hardware. Any chance of Mega SD being more robust/tolerant to it?
    I mean, it would allow us to play games which run off the MD's 68000 such as Sonic CD without slowdowns.
    A14 (TerraOnion): I suppose CD games crashing when overclocking the MD is caused by the slow WordRAM read. That's what causes the "VDP DMA delay", the WordRAM is so slow that the requested data arrive when the VDP DMA cycle has already read the bus, so, it's read in the next read cycle but it's just fast enough for the 68k to read it when using CPU read cycles.
    However, if you overclock the 68k, this cycle will become shorter, and the data will miss the read window, and the 68k will actually read the previous requested data, causing issues and crashing if the data was new 68k code to be run.
    MegaSD WordRAM is over 10x faster, so delays are inserted to make it behave like the real one. However, we can detect when it's a 68k cycle (because it asserts AS) and return the data immediately so overclock will be possible. Other accesses that don't assert AS (Z80 or VDP) will still return data at the MegaCD speed. This trick doesn't work when running from the expansion connector, as there is no AS signal there, and it will behave the same than a MegaCD, crashes included.

Q15) Will there be a side mount option? How it's going to work?
    A15 (TerraOnion): About the side mount cart. It's not a different cart at all, it's just a passive adapter that just remaps some signals and adds some pullup/downs to the address lines to identify it's running from the side, and do the signal decoding accordingly.
    You plug this adapter to the expansion port, and then plug your normal MegaSD in the adapter.

Q16) Theoretically could the MegaSD run the few MegaLD games? Assuming that the LaserDiscs themselves have even been dumped?
    A16 (Sik): We're still trying to get our head around how the Mega LD works (and what format to eventually use to hold game dumps), so I really doubt that.

Q17) I keep my physical MCD connected, can I load a different BIOS just like an everdrive, to run physical CD games from different regions?
    A17 (Sik): Pretty sure the Mega SD will not work at all if a Mega CD is connected (and vice versa). The two will fight over the CD-side accesses.

Q18) Krikkz's competitor?
    A18 (various): No estimates given by Krikkz himself ("i did not made any researches yet"), so not to be expected any time soon. Support of the current MD carts by him have been lackluster at best lately.

Q19) What's the deal with Nomads and Redbook audio?
    A19 (Sik): Nomads don't connect the audio-in lines in the cartridge slot, so you need to mod them to add back the feature or you won't get CD audio (er, SD audio), it won't crash but you'll be missing on that. You also need to do this if you want 32X sound on the Nomad by the way, though the resulting form factor in the 32X case makes it not advisable.

This has been mentioned before but this thread is a horrible mess of people talking over each other :​v

EDIT: actually this also affects the extra PCM channels too, so yeah, you definitely want the mod on a Nomad even if you don't care about CD audio tracks. Unless you don't care about sound at all, that is. And having it there won't harm even if you never get a Mega SD (other cartridges can still take advantage of it).

TerraOnion's Mega SD forum FAQ:
    https://forums.terraonion.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1006

Video reviews:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iACMZfhx1Ms
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i569jGYkDiU

Several unfounded/debunked/nonsense accusations and death wishes were omitted in order to favor readability.
    Last edited by Barone; 07-10-2019 at 12:04 PM.

Hero of Algol

Additionally, I'd suggest to TerraOnion to put some effort into the game selection UI in the post-release updates.
    One of the negative aspects of transitioning from real carts/CDs to all-in-one solutions like this is how much of the game packaging you lose.
    It's also a mess to have games from different systems add-ons grouped together in a single list.

If we could have something simpler but in the lines of what Sega/M2 did for the Mega Drive mini to allow us to set cover art for the games and maybe a preview summary upon game selection (optional) that we could also edit (release date, developer, genre, etc.), it would be really cool.
    And, please, have the option for proper tabs for each system you support (Game Gear, Mega Drive, Sega CD, etc.), so we can have separate game lists.
    Last edited by Barone; 07-10-2019 at 12:30 PM.

Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by Barone View Post
    Q11)Yes, EEPROM carts are supported without patches.

Q15) Will there be a side mount option? How it's going to work?
    A15 (TerraOnion): About the side mount cart. It's not a different cart at all, it's just a passive adapter that just remaps some signals and adds some pullup/downs to the address lines to identify it's running from the side, and do the signal decoding accordingly. You plug this adapter to the expansion port, and then plug your normal MegaSD in the adapter.
    thanks Barone.

Q11) Will patched roms (for sram save on eeprom-saving games) also work? I assume it'll be the case as other originally sram-saving games will save, so...

Q15) Maybe something can be added to clarify what's the point of the side mount option, as this A15 seems to say that it only tells the MD to use the cart slot with the Mega SD in it already, something that already works without this side mount (right? Or is this passive adapter needed at all times?). This A15 just makes it look like the Power Base Converter, which, aside from cart slot size difference, didn't make anything on its own.

As for arranging games collections/systems, I guess you can at least use subfolders. That's what I do on my everdrive MD, where I have SMS games, gg2sms roms, etc etc even by genre when I find I have too many games on one single folder.
    Last edited by chilled; 07-10-2019 at 12:34 PM.
    Lists of MD games: officially licensed (~925) @ cartridge sizes @ Top 5 @ Top 250 (controversial) @ Sonic hacks @ best title screens @ Arcade ports (150) @ best European

Thread Information