Quantcast

Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Mega-CD/Sega CD FPGA Optical Disc Emulator

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert MushaAleste's Avatar

Boy, what a crazy exciting year for the Mega Drive. Love it!

!!!

The CD support is notable, of course, but this is 32x + Master System + Megadrive + CD. Good grief.

Master of Shinobi

but but how about the games that require Mega CD hardware bound (cpu etc) specifics? I mean are they emulated on a SoC in the cartridge which get all its voltage from the cart slot, WTF?!
    Lists of MD games: officially licensed (~925) @ cartridge size milestones @ Top 5 @ Top 250 (controversial) @ Sonic hacks @ best title screens @ Arcade ports (150)

Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by Genesis Knight View Post
    !!!

The CD support is notable, of course, but this is 32x + Master System + Megadrive + CD. Good grief.
    Yeah but no as 32x requires the ACTUAL 32x to be connected. Master System hardware is already included in a stock Megadrive (or most if it at least) so the real thing is having Mega CD hardware via the cartridge slot (emulated, though). But if it does get its power solely from that, it means there are 2019 cpus capable of doing what only separately powered systems could do at the time (which is not that surprising after all).
    Lists of MD games: officially licensed (~925) @ cartridge size milestones @ Top 5 @ Top 250 (controversial) @ Sonic hacks @ best title screens @ Arcade ports (150)

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert nihilblack's Avatar

It's not emulation, it's done via hardware (FPGA is not emulation, is a simulation of the original hardware) that replicates the Mega CD, only that information is read from the cartridge slot and not the edge conector. It's inner workings are more or less explained on the video I linked at the first post:

https://youtu.be/8fE0GR9prQE?t=1125

Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by nihilblack View Post
    FPGA is not emulation
    Yeah well let's not derail this thread on this neverending debate. Let's just say some consider it emulation, some do not. Anyway what I find impressive at first glance is the fact that it does not need external power, meaning Mega CD "hardware" (which, let's not forget, included a whole secondary faster 68000 cpu among other things) is powered via the cart slot. Stock Mega CD had its OWN power supply.

Quote Originally Posted by chilled View Post
    Yeah but no as 32x requires the ACTUAL 32x to be connected.
    Ah didn't catch that.

Master of Shinobi

ok so from their own video comments chat:
    it draws less than virtua racing md original cart
    Terraonion SL​ we measured it

+1 for the Virtua Racing cart size/mold
    +1 for the foreign accent (where's that from?)

Still not understaing how an FGPA that emulates, among others, a 68000 at higher speeds than the most overclocked stock systems (12 Mhz), can be run solely from the cart pins. Does this mean we can play CDs (in wav form) from SD cards on a "stock" MD with this thing? If the platform is really emulated as a whole, it should be a sure oh yes.

I mean this thing is running off even a Genesis 3, that's a mere 3 fucking watts for gods sake! EDIT: maybe wrong, is it 8.5W? Still...
    Last edited by chilled; 06-17-2019 at 09:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by chilled View Post
    ok so from their own video comments chat:
    it draws less than virtua racing md original cart
    Terraonion SL​ we measured it

+1 for the Virtua Racing cart size/mold
    +1 for the foreign accent (where's that from?)

Still not understaing how an FGPA that emulates, among others, a 68000 at higher speeds than the most overclocked stock systems (12 Mhz), can be run solely from the cart pins. Does this mean we can play CDs (in wav form) from SD cards on a "stock" MD with this thing? If the platform is really emulated as a whole, it should be a sure oh yes.
    He's from Spain, but they recently relocated to Andora.

Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by BRNexus7 View Post
    He's from Spain, but they recently relocated to Andora.
    Dude I'm from Spain I didn't even recognize the accent. On Andorra for tax purposes, probably...
    Also this thing must feed 400 GB sd cards (on exFat!) what the hell.

One more thing: does this actually overclock a stock Megadrive? Does this mean any stock MD rom loaded from the Mega SD will be run from the FPGA 68k 12 Mhz gpu? So all those FPS crippled games (racing, polygonal, etc.) would run at decent FPS? Or when loading a stock MD rom it will just load it to the stock CPU as the everdrive does? My guess is the latter
    Last edited by chilled; 06-17-2019 at 09:37 PM.

Extreme Procrastinator Master of Shinobi Flygon's Avatar

I wonder if they're going to get the MEGA CD emulation accurate enough. That's the part that has me concerned.

It's a shame they're not making a version that plugs into the expansion slot. There's multiple reasons why this is desirable.
    From a homebrew perspective, it's nice to have a MEGA CD in the expansion slot - bonus soundtrack.
    Can't do that with the MEGA CD in the cartridge slot!

We'll see - I've learnt from other people that waiting until after launch for TerraOnion hardware is a smart idea. For all the bugs to be found and squashed.

Merged the other thread with this one.

I'm concerned about how the cart draws power to run the games. Is it safe to have it use just the Genesis?

Nameless One

Quote Originally Posted by Flygon View Post
    I wonder if they're going to get the MEGA CD emulation accurate enough. That's the part that has me concerned.
    As others have noted this isn't emulation it's actual hardware simulation there is a difference between the two.

Quote Originally Posted by Flygon View Post
    It's a shame they're not making a version that plugs into the expansion slot. There's multiple reasons why this is desirable.
    He mentioned that if there's enough demand there'll be an accessory that'll allow this to be run through the expansion slot, although it'd primarily be used for the 6 32x/Sega CD games since those can't be run from the cart slot even with a 32x attached.

To anybody wondering about power requirements: remember there isn't a physical CD drive in that thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Sik View Post
    To anybody wondering about power requirements: remember there isn't a physical CD drive in that thing.
    Supposedly it takes less power than Virtua Racing cart.

Thread Information