Quantcast

Page 23 of 24 FirstFirst ... 13192021222324 LastLast

Thread: Mega-CD/Sega CD FPGA Optical Disc Emulator

SITE SUPERVILLAIN Outrunner Vector's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by broken View Post
    Saw these posts
    Thank you for answering broken, as usual, appreciated. The rom I'd like tested is "Bad Apple full 8mb version. Usually it can only play in 2 parts/sections or fully in everdrive x7 or something, but just curious if the whole thing plays in mega sd.
    My Feedback : http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...orman-feedback
    My Youtube : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKAhCCdRxXo
    Quote Originally Posted by axel View Post
    Is this guy the new forum villain? LOL
    They called me Mr. Glass =)

Quote Originally Posted by Vector View Post
    Thank you for answering broken, as usual, appreciated. The rom I'd like tested is "Bad Apple full 8mb version. Usually it can only play in 2 parts/sections or fully in everdrive x7 or something, but just curious if the whole thing plays in mega sd.
    The issue with that ROM is that it uses the address space reserved for the Sega CD and 32X so it can be an 8MB ROM. Otherwise you'd need to use mappers and bank switching to have a ROM bigger than 4MB. So if you have a Sega CD or a 32X (or both) attached to your Genesis, then you can't play that ROM as the address space it wants is in use by those add-ons.

With the Mega SD if it has a mode to just act like a flash cart and nothing else that ROM should play find I'd imagine. If it doesn't though then that ROM probably wont play as the Mega SD would be using the Sega CD's address space as it should. Honestly I wouldn't hold it against them if that didn't work on it as it would still be behaving identical to how a real Sega CD behaves, which seems to be more in line with the goal for this product.

New MegaSD Firmware 1.01R12

MD
    - Use large rom mapper by default if roms are >4MB (and they don't use any special mapper)
    - Includes fix for Bad Apple demo
    Todd of Terraonion

Quote Originally Posted by Sik View Post
    Wait, why does the Mega SD need to peek controller accesses? What function is there? o.o (also if not done already, I'd also suggest to make sure the control port is exactly 0x40 or otherwise it could other peripherals, and most of them set it to something else which makes for a good way to quickly disregard them)
    Per neodev:

it's read from the bus so we don't need to run any code to read the controller to trigger the in game menu. We see the values the game reads and writes it, and just process them
    Last edited by broken; 07-19-2019 at 10:53 AM.
    Todd of Terraonion

New MegaSD Firmware 1.01R12

MD
    - Use large rom mapper by default if roms are >4MB (and they don't use any special mapper)
    - Includes fix for Bad Apple demo
    Wow, thanks. I'm really impressed with this unit now. These updates are great, and I feel like we have like a 1% impact on device thanks to BroKen taking our feedback etc so that is cool. I think I'm definitely going to pick one up! Sure I bought a cheap SegaCD2, but if that dies in a year I could just buy two of these (I have 2 setups). May I ask how many units will be available, is it ok I buy 2 since reviewer did too like will I get a discount for shipping?

Sorry, but there isn't a shipping discount for buying multiples. We ship via 2 to 3 day DHL and the shipping charge is based on the weight. So 2 products equal 2 shipping charges. And our shipping charges are very reasonable for worldwide delivery.
    Todd of Terraonion

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert nihilblack's Avatar

Sorry, but there isn't a shipping discount for buying multiples. We ship via 2 to 3 day DHL and the shipping charge is based on the weight. So 2 products equal 2 shipping charges. And our shipping charges are very reasonable for worldwide delivery.
    Where do you ship from If I order from Spain?

Andorra.

We recently relocated the company to Andorra.
    Todd of Terraonion

Oh, OK, I think there are no import fees between Spain and Andorra. That's great.

Thanks for the answer!

Thank you BroKen , I'll still order 2 anyway everything seems fair. Have you sent the review units to Joe R of GS and MLIzg yet? I'm just gonna watch those as a cherry on thie cake after I order 2 =)

Ghost Nameless One King Of Chaos's Avatar

Looks like the MegaSD just gained support for the SVP chip and Virtua Racing. And it looks like it'll be the first flash cart to have 100% compatibility with the Genesis library.

Yep. We plan to update the firmware in about 2 weeks or so with SVP chip support. We licensed the code from srg320.
    Todd of Terraonion

I have a suggestion, but I don't know if it's technically feasible:

I've been using the 8bitdo M30 2.4 control pad (the one recommended for Analogue's Mega SG: http://www.8bitdo.com/m30/) for a few weeks and I find it amazing. I don't see myself going back to ye olde wired 6-button pad. The thing is, this M30 has a few extra buttons, and it would be nice if some could be used to access the MegaSD menu with the push of a single button.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingSports Talker

Just out of curiosity (and avoiding spoilers), how does the MegaSD handle the somewhat unique feature required to complete X-Men?

I suppose an easier way to check would be to test those games that don't reset the options when you press Reset. If those still work as intended, that should work too.

Thread Information