Quantcast

Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Mega-CD/Sega CD FPGA Optical Disc Emulator

SITE SUPERVILLAIN Outrunner Vector's Avatar

I'll ask about some of the games running a bit too fast.
    Last edited by Vector; 07-08-2019 at 03:39 AM.
    My Feedback : http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...orman-feedback
    My Youtube : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKAhCCdRxXo
    Quote Originally Posted by axel View Post
    Is this guy the new forum villain? LOL
    They called me Mr. Glass =)

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher

^ Haha, that'd be some use for the 400gb microsd, cinepak movies take a lot of space

Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by roce View Post
    There is a big difference between ASIC and FPGA power consumption, but it's indeed possible for a modern FPGA to use less power than a 30 year old ASIC for the same thing.
    so what's stoping them to FPGA the 32X on this same cart?
    Lists of MD games: officially licensed (~925) @ cartridge size milestones @ Top 5 @ Top 250 (controversial) @ Sonic hacks @ best title screens @ Arcade ports (150)

Quote Originally Posted by chilled View Post
    so what's stoping them to FPGA the 32X on this same cart?
    How video is implemented. Video out from Genesis goes into 32x and then video out from 32x to your TV. Its kind of a nightmare to try and implement via FPGA.

Mastering your Systems Shining Hero TmEE's Avatar

There is an ARM on the cartridge where the 68K and good chunk of CD hardware is emulated on. FPGA does stuff like RAM access and probably ASIC rendering and all the comms between MD and MCD sides and possibly sound too but it wasn't elaborated on or I simply missed that part. It isn't replicating the way MCD works but it gets decent results none the less. There's always room for improvement.

Now as far as games running faster goes, perhaps the ASIC indeed renders faster, but DMA bandwidth will still be same since VDP can only work so fast (and if the test was in 50Hz then the game can easily run at double the speed due to way more DMA time available compared to 60Hz).
    Death To MP3, :3
    Mida sa loed ? Nagunii aru ei saa "Gnirts test is a shit" New and growing website of total jawusumness !
    If any of my images in my posts no longer work you can find them in "FileDen Dump" on my site ^

Raging in the Streets Team Andromeda's Avatar

Ordered, can't wait
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

Quote Originally Posted by TmEE View Post
    There is an ARM on the cartridge where the 68K and good chunk of CD hardware is emulated on. FPGA does stuff like RAM access and probably ASIC rendering and all the comms between MD and MCD sides and possibly sound too but it wasn't elaborated on or I simply missed that part. It isn't replicating the way MCD works but it gets decent results none the less. There's always room for improvement.

Now as far as games running faster goes, perhaps the ASIC indeed renders faster, but DMA bandwidth will still be same since VDP can only work so fast (and if the test was in 50Hz then the game can easily run at double the speed due to way more DMA time available compared to 60Hz).

No, the full Sega CD hardware is handled by the FPGA. The Arm controller handles rom loading and SD interface. The FPGA is a Spartan 6 with 25K LEs.

Raging in the Streets Thierry Henry's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by soviet View Post
    We believe! SEGA Empire will live again! As the Jews re-established their Israel, GOD will never forget his people, SEGA will never forget her fans!

Lawl Nameless One King Of Chaos's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BRNexus7 View Post
    How video is implemented. Video out from Genesis goes into 32x and then video out from 32x to your TV. Its kind of a nightmare to try and implement via FPGA.
    That and the 2 SH-2 chips.

Quote Originally Posted by TmEE View Post
    That is completely false. The ONLY thing the ARM chip is used for is for rom loading, cue parsing and SD reading. Also it handles the Sega CD CDD 4bit cpu that receives commands from the game code to begin cd reading, pausing, reading toc and etc.

That's awesome. I definitely added my e-mail to the subscriber list. I really want this.
    MY SEGAS
    [Model 1 Sega CD x 5] [Model 1 HD Genesis w/Component Video] [Model 2 Genesis] [32X CIB] [Master System Model 3010] [Nomad w/LCD mod] [Dreamcast] [Saturn] [Game Gear]

Yeah, I had my doubts about the ARM chip being in charge of the 68000 (because that'd break timings way too hard). It being in charge of emulating the drive makes way more sense, especially since it needs to pretend it's a flat stream out of a file in a filesystem that may have its chunks spread all over the place (since I doubt it has enough RAM to load the entire ISO :​P)

Quote Originally Posted by chilled View Post
    Dude I'm from Spain I didn't even recognize the accent. On Andorra for tax purposes, probably...
    The about page on their website claims they are from Outes, A Coruņa.

https://terraonion.com/es/sobre-nosotros/

Master of Shinobi

oh the singing people region
    Lists of MD games: officially licensed (~925) @ cartridge size milestones @ Top 5 @ Top 250 (controversial) @ Sonic hacks @ best title screens @ Arcade ports (150)

Mastering your Systems Shining Hero TmEE's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by broken View Post
    That is completely false. The ONLY thing the ARM chip is used for is for rom loading, cue parsing and SD reading. Also it handles the Sega CD CDD 4bit cpu that receives commands from the game code to begin cd reading, pausing, reading toc and etc.
    Then the accent must have deceived me, I remember the guy telling that 68K was emulated on the ARM and not sitting on the FPGA.
    Death To MP3, :3
    Mida sa loed ? Nagunii aru ei saa "Gnirts test is a shit" New and growing website of total jawusumness !
    If any of my images in my posts no longer work you can find them in "FileDen Dump" on my site ^

Thread Information