Quantcast

Thread: new HD cable from Pound (poor man's hdmi upscaling) 30$

Master of Shinobi

Whoa new HD cable from Pound (poor man's hdmi upscaling) 30$

product_shot-11.jpg
    https://www.poundtechnology.com/genesis
    So will this be a worthy purchase? It upscales to 720p at 4:3 drawing power from the console itself (though they pack in a mini usb adapter just in case). It works for both MD 1 and 2/3 with included adapter.

I'm on the I won't spend hundreds of $/ for retro hardware wagon (no OSSC/Framemeister/Mega SG/Mega SD/etc for me: the cheapest Everdrive was already the high point for me) as probably many other people in here. I'm willing to ditch my crappy 14" CRT and the thing that bothers me most (no dithering) was already lost the moment I switched to RGB through SCART (even my CRT can't blend those pixels together). Yes I know there's some filter on the Mega SG that allows for some unbalanced dithering on RGB HDMI but that's still emulation to me (and not on the cheap side).

I have 5 Megadrives (Gen1, Gen2, Gen3 and european MD1&2). No 32X nor CD so I don't care about the problem with some games on the former.

Shipping starts June 25th. I could actually consider NOT getting a Megadrive mini if image is any good and there are no problems associated. A big cart collection or an everdrive (I have both) would be plenty enough (heck I already have made Mini folders on my ED).
    Last edited by chilled; 06-19-2019 at 08:45 PM.
    Lists of MD games: officially licensed (~925) @ cartridge size milestones @ Top 5 @ Top 250 (controversial) @ Sonic hacks @ best title screens @ Arcade ports (150)

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert nihilblack's Avatar

Wow, 20$ of shiping costs! Looks like a good idea, but I'm not convinced by the screenshot comparissons they provide. Looks like the image is kind of filtered (like those weird image filters you find in some emulators). Let us know what you think of it if you finally get one.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingOutrunner avlon's Avatar

Looks like garbage like the rest of their stuff. Look at Axel's shirt in the first pic. In composite, there is shading while it's completely washed out in the "rgb" hdmi picture.

If it's like Hyperkins cable, there may be an issue with the connector. They used a Neo-Geo connector instead of a Genesis one. Personally, I'd steer clear.
    Last edited by avlon; 06-21-2019 at 08:22 AM.

Raging in the Streets Thierry Henry's Avatar

I wonder if this one is the same as the Hyperkin HDMI cable, just with different branding. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

That one clearly also uses a Neo Geo connector instead of the one for a Model 1 Genesis.
    Quote Originally Posted by soviet View Post
    We believe! SEGA Empire will live again! As the Jews re-established their Israel, GOD will never forget his people, SEGA will never forget her fans!

Master of Shinobi

TL,DR my model 2 systems have already saturated colors and I'm afraid this will make things worse (or make my great model 1s look like crappy model 2s), as it seems to be the case with Hyperkin's cable?

I'm worried about contrast being too high as you can see on the video. My 2 model 2 systems were bought with regional mods on them and IDK if it's the system or the mod (don't have any regular model 2 to compare) but the contrast il already too blown out, reducing image quality. This is apparent both in composite and rgb. You can spot it rightaway when booting the everdrive but is very obvious in-game too, when comparing to models 1 image quality.
    Come think of it, there must be something with model 2 motherboards (I have 1.8 & 4), because IIRC I have the same problem with my stock Genesis 3, which is based on model 2 chipset (even if it deviates even more). Must re-check that though.
    Last edited by chilled; 06-20-2019 at 05:26 AM.
    Lists of MD games: officially licensed (~925) @ cartridge size milestones @ Top 5 @ Top 250 (controversial) @ Sonic hacks @ best title screens @ Arcade ports (150)

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert StuOhQ's Avatar

I'd go ahead and just get a pair of these:

Pound has a so-so rep in the community for a handful of reasons. I haven't experienced too many TVs/Projectors that can't handle a 240p component signal (assuming they have the inputs).

Retro Tech Select - YouTube channel covering throwback consumer electronics with a focus on "vid'ya games."
    Newest Video: More than Just a Genesis? Analogue Mega SG Review

Road Rasher

Quote Originally Posted by StuOhQ View Post

Pound has a so-so rep in the community for a handful of reasons. I haven't experienced too many TVs/Projectors that can't handle a 240p component signal (assuming they have the inputs).
    I have of these and I can assure they're pretty good and worth the price. The only thing better than this would be a framemesiter, IMHO

I like the PSone Pound cable. Have a SNES one aswell but haven't tried that one yet....

Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by StuOhQ View Post

My TV (actually a PC monitor) only has vga or hdmi input though

I bought mine through Limited run Games quite a lot cheaper the shipping

SITE SUPERVILLAIN Outrunner Vector's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chilled View Post
    My TV (actually a PC monitor) only has vga or hdmi input though
    Exactly, if all these Sega consoles had native rgb, why not make a output pin to vga cable/adapter since NA never had SCART (and worse 3 levels lower - s-video, composite, RF LOL)?
    My Feedback : http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...orman-feedback
    My Youtube : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKAhCCdRxXo
    Quote Originally Posted by axel View Post
    Is this guy the new forum villain? LOL
    They called me Mr. Glass =)

Thread Information