Quantcast

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Ultracore coming on cartridge!!

This time and unlike yesterday, the North American version got sold out before the bundle, so I had no choice but to get the bundle.

Oh well, at least my 50-60hz problem is solved now, I guess.
    http://www.sega-16.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=154&dateline=15683853  53

The mega drive version is still up lol

Raging in the Streets SEGA.GENESIS1989's Avatar

Meh

If the community really cares enough, contact the developer and ask them not to pursue the limited run model and opt for preorders. The fact that the game was released through Strictly Limited Run games does not necessarily mean that the developer is prevented from re-releasing the game.

It is a little disheartening to see that an MD version was released but in limited quantities. IMHO, it is not really in the spirit of gaming on the 16 bit console.
    "There's nothing to fear, except fear itself"
    http://i1054.photobucket.com/albums/s486/link2link2link/YUZOKOSHIROISAGODNEOSEEDEDITION.gif

I should probably mention that they're doing the same for the physical releases on Sony systems (pay attention at the site :​v), so it's not like we're the only ones being shafted here. I suppose we're more annoyed because at least on modern platforms you can still download the game (right?), while in this case the only alternative is buying a Mega Sg (argh). But then again they probably would prefer you to buy the game on a PS4…

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWCPO Agent avlon's Avatar

This seems to be a disturbingly annoying trend at this point. I get why it's done in limited batches, but the growing amount of limited supply companies is getting annoying. I (and I'm sure many of you) don't have the time to keep an eye on all of these companies and their limited time windows just to order a product.

The pre-order system is far better. Leave it up for a week or two, let people get their pre-orders in at their leisure, and then manufacture those orders with a few extra for padding. For folks that (for some reason) must absolutely collect every game for a console, this gen must really suck.

Apparently there was no limit on the amount of items you could order, so huh…

(would be nice if somebody confirms this is what happened tho)

It's only going to get worse as modern consoles inevitably move towards downloading all games. This whole thing about physical copies being seen as collector pieces exclusively is only going to get worse over time. If people want to avoid this for new releases on older consoles (where download isn't an option so far), we're going to need homebrewers pushing against it and actively chasing better business models (one thing is a limited run due to economical matters, another is intentionally limiting a run forever — at least the former leaves the window for further runs).

Outrunner

This and the Gleylancer re-release has really pissed me off. All I want to do is play Ultracore on my MegaDrive. Oh well, at least with a physical release coming, hopefully the ROM will get dumped and I can buy a Chinese repro for buttons.

I’ll condone piracy so long as the license owners do not see fit to release a game, or at least release it to only 999 people, most likely half of whom are simply scalping.

Master of Shinobi

I don't agree with this either. But on another note, 1000 copies would be plenty for any new homebrew but alas this is an "almost retail" game so I guess there are far more collectors for it. And scalpers of course because they know the former will be more interested than in Tänzer or Tanglewood
    Lists of MD games: officially licensed (~925) @ cartridge sizes @ Top 5 @ Top 250 (controversial) @ Sonic hacks @ best title screens @ Arcade ports (150) @ best European

I’m excited for Tanzer as I see the developer is very passionate about the game. and Tanglewood is wonderful to play. Both of these games are NEW. The history of Hardcore is kind of wild, and is exactly the kind of thing anyone here has been hoping for. A recovered game, and a allegedly good one at that. Though it’s distribution is leaving more to be desired, I believe someone here who has scooped it up will rom dump it eventually. Will I download it? Yes. Will I buy it if it were to be available again? Yes. 999 copies is not a lot, making it a collectors item which sucks, but before that it was lost to the ether. At least now there is hope to play it

Quote Originally Posted by Sik View Post
    Apparently there was no limit on the amount of items you could order, so huh…

(would be nice if somebody confirms this is what happened tho)
    There wasn't any limit on the number you could buy. If even stated on the ordering details before it went live that there would be no limit. So it is very possible (Likely) that some people bought up a lot of them and we are sure to see them again in the future on the 'bay. I only ordered 1 copy of the US Genesis release for myself and none other. Had i known it would sell out so quickly, I'd have bought a few more for other collector friends of mine who were looking to grab this. I just didn't realize it would sell out so damn fast.

I was on top of it. The moment it went live I ordered two, and by the time it processed my payment I received a sold out notice. Le sigh

This is one of the reasons that I've bought very few physical releases in recent years. I'm happy to pay for a rom if they release it that way, but I'm not giving money to a scalper. I think the retro scene needs to stop seeing physical releases as being important, we all have flashcarts now anyway.

Probably not going to happen until people get angry at anybody asking for even a single cent (or even making the suggestion, at that).

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingSports Talker

I successfully purchased two copies of the Genesis version. Literally had to buy them the second they were available and by the time I was done with the purchase they were out of stock. I purchased two just in case something was wrong with one of them. Assuming everything is okay with both copies I receive I would be open to posting the other one for purchase on this site at the price I paid for it plus shipping to another user who wanted to pick this up and didn't get a chance to. I'll cross that bridge when I get to it though.

This was my first experience purchasing from one of these limited release websites and I can't say I'm fond of the sales format. Seems like it's manipulating collectors/retro video game enthusiasts by creating a "demand". Wish that this game would have gone to a company like Mega Cat or Piko for release instead. They give plenty of time for a pre-order and have stock available after. I hope this isn't a trend we start seeing with Genesis releases.

Hero of Algol

Annoyance level:
    1- Knuckles' Chaotix
    2 - SEGA Mega Drive and Genesis Classics' Super Heavyweight Emulator
    3 - Mega Drive/Genesis Mini Special Cheapo Controller Western Losers' Edition
    4 - Sonic Mania powered by Denuvo DRM
    5 - Sonic Forces
    6 - Garfield: The Forever Lost Levels
    7 - Shenmue III: In Bed with Epic Games
    8 - Ultracore = Hardcore + Mega SG exclusivity + gimmicky publisher tailored for scalpers
    9 - Indiana Jones' Greatest Adventures: A Prototype Story by Top Men
    10 - Paprium

Thread Information