Quantcast

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Ultracore coming on cartridge!!

Megadrive Ultracore coming on cartridge!!

New user who wants access to the forum? PM Melf!

Death Bringer Raging in the Streets Black_Tiger's Avatar

Although it's not a game I'm dying to play, I'm glad that it's finally available and will be properly preserved. Hopefully it will sell well enough to encourage more companies to publish lost games.
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

I said it would happen.

You can all call me Nostradamus if you want.
    I had my ring penetrated on Takeshi's Castle.

Excellent news!

What I don't understand is the fact that there is no region lock, but you have to purchase the North American version if you want to play it at 60hz, since the European version is closed to 50hz optimization and will give issues while playing at 60hz. Sure it wouldn't have been that difficult to include both 50hz and 60hz versions in the same cartridge and having the possibility to play either one depending on the console region/frequency? Many Mega Drive games are able to do that. I'm going to purchase the game for sure, but now I will have a tough time deciding which version should I get, or be forced to get the bundle with both.

Also, I would have prefered the European version with a blue stripe design. This game would have been released in circa 1994/1995, so it wouldn't have been released with the classic pre-1994 black grid. They did that right for the North American design with the red stripe, so that makes the European design decision even more weird.
    http://www.sega-16.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=154&dateline=15683853  53

Mega Driven Raging in the Streets cleeg's Avatar

Nice share Zebbe. I'll have my eye on this.

Nice they release it, so you don't need to buy one MD SG to enjoy it,
    sadly its limited to 999 copies, and i'm not able to buy it now,
    but i'm happy that the fans now can enjoy it on real hardware, will be amazing.

Visit my youtube channel Pyron's Lair
    Take here all my hacks made with love for all of us here
    Want to help me? Here is my Patreon!

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert nihilblack's Avatar

Great news, really! I don't have the money right now, so I hope it doesn't sold out too fast.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One Chaos Fusion's Avatar

6 hours to order...what a horrible time for me. Also, hate that they are using that bootleg cart shell, not like they are selling a japanese version. Hope its just a placeholder and they opt for the standard design.

That "bootleg cart shell" allows it to fit on every console and has been used on pretty much all modern releases for that reason. Or now are we going to start demanding that everybody order cartridges from multiple molds too? At least these cartridges aren't too different from official ones, they look like a blend of all the existing shells (unlike what has been done with boxes which screams more bootleg and cheapo repro, if anything).

Honestly I'd prefer if we stopped trying to release boxes for multiple regions, if anything. Let's stop pretending these are official Sega releases (that stand on the edge of being or not trademark infringement) and let's acknowledge that we're focusing on global releases now instead of regional ones, please?

Mega Driver Hedgehog-in-TrainingWCPO Agent Gryson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chaos Fusion View Post
    6 hours to order...what a horrible time for me. Also, hate that they are using that bootleg cart shell, not like they are selling a japanese version. Hope its just a placeholder and they opt for the standard design.
    Trust me, the alternative carts available are much lower quality than these. Get used to the slot in the cart - it's the best design available and by far the highest quality reproduction cart being manufactured nowadays.

Master of Shinobi

haha calling the official cart lock tab from the country that fucking invented the Mega Drive "bootleg" just made my day.
    Lists of MD games: officially licensed (~925) @ cartridge size milestones @ Top 5 @ Top 250 (controversial) @ Sonic hacks @ best title screens @ Arcade ports (150)

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert nihilblack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sik View Post
    Honestly I'd prefer if we stopped trying to release boxes for multiple regions, if anything. Let's stop pretending these are official Sega releases (that stand on the edge of being or not trademark infringement) and let's acknowledge that we're focusing on global releases now instead of regional ones, please?
    In this case there's a good reason for it, since both ROM's are different. The original is the 50Hz one, since it was created with euro Mega Drives in mind, and the 60Hz is "optimized" to work like that. This is explained in their Facebook.

But mainly the reason for those regional covers, not in this case, but in general is... nostalgia. Americans want their red band cover, us europeans want the black one or the blue one... I would ditch the red one totally, is ugly af, and I'll also stop using the "Genesis" naming, and I will use the black one for every release. There's some homebrew out there released without mimicking the old cover designs, and honestly, they look pretty bad, and not as something I'd like to buy and have at home. If you buy Mega Drive stuff you want it to look like Mega Drive stuff.

Mega Driver Hedgehog-in-TrainingWCPO Agent Gryson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wesker View Post
    Sure it wouldn't have been that difficult to include both 50hz and 60hz versions in the same cartridge and having the possibility to play either one depending on the console region/frequency? Many Mega Drive games are able to do that.
    Just curious: What games are optimized for both 50Hz and 60Hz in the same ROM? I wasn't aware that there were any that supported that, but I'm no expert.

Official releases? …honestly, I'm not sure if there are any (besides optimizing music only), but I don't remember the entire library off-hand.

On my end at least, Project MD does it, Miniplanets does it, Arkagis Revolution will do it too. Tanglewood also does it if I remember correctly. It's definitely not impossible. There's some kind of expectation nowadays for a new commercial release to be able to adjust itself to the target framerate, albeit I don't think it's still the norm?

Raging in the Streets goldenband's Avatar

I think Turbo OutRun may adjust for 50 vs. 60Hz. When I looked into it with Fusion, I found that the timer matches realtime when you boot it up at either speed, and the ROM itself is (JE).

Thread Information