Quantcast

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Ultracore coming on cartridge!!

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training Kamon's Avatar

Yeah I don't approve of the profiteering here. They know what they're doing by not having any limits. How silly of me to assume I could just wake up in the morning and hit preorder...

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One Chaos Fusion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sik View Post
    That "bootleg cart shell" allows it to fit on every console and has been used on pretty much all modern releases for that reason. Or now are we going to start demanding that everybody order cartridges from multiple molds too? At least these cartridges aren't too different from official ones, they look like a blend of all the existing shells (unlike what has been done with boxes which screams more bootleg and cheapo repro, if anything).
    Don't get me wrong, I own a Japanese Mega Drive so I'm aware of why they look like that. My main gripe with that type of shell is that I still associate them with the Chinese knockoffs on Ebay over homebrew releases unfortunately. Not helped that I removed the Cart Lock ages ago so I'm used to its exclusion. I was nitpicking anyway, I doubt I'll be even able to get ahold of Ultracore anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Gryson View Post
    Trust me, the alternative carts available are much lower quality than these. Get used to the slot in the cart - it's the best design available and by far the highest quality reproduction cart being manufactured nowadays.
    I wouldn't know, as I mentioned, I generally associate them with knockoff carts. Though I have a copy of Tanglewood on the way and it seems to use that Cart shell so like you and Sik said, got to get used to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Gryson View Post
    Just curious: What games are optimized for both 50Hz and 60Hz in the same ROM? I wasn't aware that there were any that supported that, but I'm no expert.
    Ristar. Both the North American and European version. The Japanese version is region locked to Japanese region, but the North American and European versions are totally open, not region protected at all. Boot either of these two versions at 60hz, you'll have the game perfectly running at 60hz (yeah, even the European one). Boot either of these two versions at 50hz, then you'll have both the screen and music optimized at 50hz, and if you do the switch to 60hz on the fly, then you'll have the typical screen rolling issues of 50hz screen optimized games which take additional lines of resolution not supported by 60hz. So yeah, both 60hz and 50hz versions are present on the same cartridge.

There are other games which are able to behave like that. Even region protected games, like Ecco: The Tides of Time. This one is region locked and if you switch the European version to 60hz on the fly, then you'll have the screen rolling because of 50hz screen optimization. But if you quickly switch the hz just a second before the Sega screen should appear, it will skip the region protection messange and also boot the game perfectly at 60hz, without any 50hz screen optimization. So the game is able to boot both modes if necessary, just like Ristar.

So yeah, pretty possible. Why they haven't done that with this game? Clearly to sell both versions (hence the bundle) to anyone who wish to have both game outputs instead of being limited to a single one.

Hero of Algol

Quote Originally Posted by Sik View Post
    (seriously, the business model of these limited run publishers is built entirely around getting collectors and scalpers rush to buy up all copies as soon as possible)
    Dreadful attitude towards the MD community; I was thirsty to play this game but I'm not supporting it since they chose to use this "sold out" gimmick while leaving the door open to resellers.
    I'm not cattle to follow this 16-hour procession to the pre-order button while trying to find some clean air among the ebay resellers.

Thanks, but no thanks.

SITE SUPERVILLAIN Outrunner Vector's Avatar

Again, I'll just wait until rom dumped so I can play on Mega SD cart or Mega SD Side Loader. Why should I purchase agame from 25 years ago the company did not want to release then almost deleted totally off a hard drive until a fan or a left over team member used CIA technology to recover data of company hard drive from? And why would I pay a repro company who had no effort in that process?
    My Feedback : http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...orman-feedback
    My Youtube : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKAhCCdRxXo
    Quote Originally Posted by axel View Post
    Is this guy the new forum villain? LOL
    They called me Mr. Glass =)

Mega Driver Hedgehog-in-TrainingWCPO Agent Gryson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Barone View Post
    Dreadful attitude towards the MD community; I was thirsty to play this game but I'm not supporting it since they chose to use this "sold out" gimmick while leaving the door open to resellers.
    I'm not cattle to follow this 16-hour procession to the pre-order button while trying to find some clean air among the ebay resellers.

Thanks, but no thanks.
    I'm also not a fan of this attitude of maximizing profit by intentionally limiting distribution.

It's more infuriating when you consider the original devs who spent a lot of time and effort making the game with the hopes that as many people as possible would be able to enjoy it.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingOutrunner avlon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zebbe View Post
    Wow. The bundle was sold out just as I pressed the payment button, though I started my order right after midnight. I did manage to get a single purchase copy of each variant though. When I was done with the purchases, I looked at the site and saw the US version was sold out too...

I'm so glad I managed to get the game. I've waited for so long, almost a whole decade...
    Thanks! I got my copy without any issue. There is another batch at noon EST from the looks of it. First time ordering from these guys.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher

Quote Originally Posted by Wesker View Post
    So yeah, pretty possible. Why they haven't done that with this game? Clearly to sell both versions (hence the bundle) to anyone who wish to have both game outputs instead of being limited to a single one.
    Such adjustment results in either slower code or duplicated code. If they had readymade separate US and EU ROMs, it's quite believable it wouldn't be worth the cost to create a new adjustable one.

Stuck in the Past Shining Hero The Jackal's Avatar

I want the game, but I can't atm. Skint asf. Stupid they've done it as a limited two day pre-order window as I would've grabbed this. Oh well.
    Last edited by The Jackal; 06-23-2019 at 05:29 AM.

To be hoest show skint can you be that you can't spare 50 bucks. I hate this practice aswell but what can you do? I got two copies of the USA version. I don't understand why they just don't keep open the preorders for several weeks.

Master of Shinobi

Someone should dump the rom upon reception, that should teach them
    Lists of MD games: officially licensed (~925) @ cartridge size milestones @ Top 5 @ Top 250 (controversial) @ Sonic hacks @ best title screens @ Arcade ports (150)

Mega Driver Hedgehog-in-TrainingWCPO Agent Gryson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chilled View Post
    Someone should dump the rom upon reception, that should teach them
    I think that's one of the main reasons they do it this way.

I was able to get my order in for the US. Genesis one. But I was literally hitting refresh right at the 0 hour until I had an Add-to-Cart button appear. This is also the first time I've bought from these guys and one thing that really struck me as odd...

The game was listed in USD since my account I created knew I was in the US. However, upon checkout, it all went to Euro? And..the price of the Euro was the same as the USD price listed. Only with it being in Euro it actually cost me even more? PayPal shows the same thing with the entire thing having been done in Euro instead of USD? With international shipping the total came to just south of $60 USD. Still that is a pretty typical price for any new Genesis release these days and still cheaper than Intellivision new releases!!!

I should probably remind people that this business model actually started on modern platforms. It's Limited Run Games' main gimmick and now a bunch more like them seem to have showed up out of nowhere and seem to be focusing on both modern and retro games.

Literally sold out in the first minute. Guess Iím waiting for the rom dump

Thread Information