Quantcast

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can somebody tell me what the hell this mysterious PCB is?!?

HNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNG Raging in the Streets Moirai's Avatar

Default Can somebody tell me what the hell this mysterious PCB is?!?

Somebody posted this in a chinese facebook group with no info...

Comrade as in friend. Master of Shinobi ComradeOj's Avatar

Looks like some sort of Genesis model 2 clone. Maybe? At first I thought it would just be some Chinese clone, but it has the SEGA and Sonic Team logos on it. I wish I could make out the text on the top-right corner. The bottom line almost looks like it says "version 1.1".

Were there any other photos? You could also try running the facebook page through google translate, if it's written in Chinese. Maybe there is some comment with an explanation.
    Modded consoles:
    Master System (v7040) with s-video & direct AV out
    Model 1 with 10mhz overclock & halt switches
    Model 1 with 10mhz 68010
    Model 2 VA2.3 with unfiltered Mega Amp, & s-video
    Model 3 VA1 with compatibility fixes & s-video
    32X with s-video
    Visit my web site at www.mode5.net
    Or my collection of homebrew Genesis games, programs, and music on SEGA-16!

Video Game Modder Outrunner segasonicfan's Avatar

This is definitely a Sega Genesis 2 clone. Judging from the parts used it is recently manufactured, though I somehow doubt it's official, I guess it's possible. Anyone could have put the silk on there for Sonic Team just as a joke.

Btw you probably get more answers to this if you put it in the Tech Aid section of the forum.

Care to post the mysterious Chinese Facebook link to this? I'd be curious in reading what is available

You know, the more I look at this the more I believe it's official. I'm super curious to know where you got this image from! I wonder what Sega is up to...

Nah, there's no way that's official. Probably not one of the crappo clones tho, I'm guessing the chips next to the square one are RAM (e.g. I know a lot of the decent clones used two 32Kx8 SRAM chips to make the 64KB RAM for the 68000, which would fit with the pair to the right).

Sik how can you be so sure?
    This is not a crappy clone at all, this is a very high grade board with expensive parts. Clearly a lot of time and effort was put into this for proper engineering, unlike with ones you see coming out of Tec Toy or cheap knock offs. The quality of engineering leads me to believe it might be official.

It's a standard Genesis 2 set up. The chips to the right are the 512 kb work ram, the one to the left is the video RAM. It's using a proper masterclock configuration, as well as nice DC-DC power conversion circuitry. It's also using a very nice TTSOP for the analog video encoding.

This is an extremely nice PCB. If it is a knockoff Id pay good money for it.

I said "Probably not one of the crappo clones tho" (emphasis added), reread the post :​P

I still think it's a clone, but remember not all clones are shitty. It's just that the licensed ones were the shitty ones… (unlicensed clones in general tend to be much better, and it's sad — I wonder what will happen now that AtGames got kicked out of the deal tho)

Quote Originally Posted by Sik View Post
    I said "Probably not one of the crappo clones tho" (emphasis added), reread the post :​P

I still think it's a clone, but remember not all clones are shitty. It's just that the licensed ones were the shitty ones… (unlicensed clones in general tend to be much better, and it's sad — I wonder what will happen now that AtGames got kicked out of the deal tho)
    ah I misread.

Still, I think this might be too high grade to be a clone. The design is top notch, and its a full chipset too. Given the recent split from AtGames, I have my suspicions...

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingSports Talker Virtua Hunter's Avatar

The Sonic Team logo...why use a Sonic Team logo instead of a Sega logo in a clone PCB?

Quote Originally Posted by segasonicfan View Post
    Still, I think this might be too high grade to be a clone. The design is top notch, and its a full chipset too. Given the recent split from AtGames, I have my suspicions...
    There was a hilarious pattern where clones would manage to have better board designs than Sega's own stuff.

You're overthinking this, if it was anything new from Sega it'd have been all over the internet by now.

Master of Shinobi

Mega Drive 2 Mini with cart slot and Half Life 3 confirmed
    Lists of MD games: officially licensed (~925) @ cartridge size milestones @ Top 5 @ Top 250 (controversial) @ Sonic hacks @ best title screens @ Arcade ports (150)

Nameless One

The connectors in the back are at the wrong place to fit inside a regular Model 2 casing, so it doesn't have to be a Model 2 clone, the case could've been anything really.

Well clone or no clone that board looks sweet and modern.

Japanese Sonic CD FTW!!! Master of Shinobi Ecco's Avatar

actually where is that specific logo from? reminds me of the starting screen of NiGHTS into Dreams...

Not sure if I've seen it used elsewhere though...

Pretty sure that's still the current Sonic Team logo (but yeah, they started using it during the Saturn era).

Mastering your Systems Shining Hero TmEE's Avatar

Looks like MD2 VA4 / Genny3 VA1 based thingy. Most probably some fan creation or something, definitely not original stuff.
    Death To MP3, :3
    Mida sa loed ? Nagunii aru ei saa "Gnirts test is a shit" New and growing website of total jawusumness !
    If any of my images in my posts no longer work you can find them in "FileDen Dump" on my site ^

Thread Information