Quantcast

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What can we do to stop runs in limited quantities?

The Future Is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingRaging in the Streets SegataS's Avatar

collectard?

Life!? ... What console is that on?

There was some person here who used that term to claim that any release on anything that isn't an old platform is guaranteed to be pure pandering to stupid collectors who don't give a fuck about the games. Well, huh, we have proof of what actual collector pandering looks like now.

I guess we can dial down that now please?
    Last edited by Sik; 06-26-2019 at 07:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse813 View Post
    This reminds of a game which had a limited run which mr zebbe had a hand in
    Umm, yeah, Pier Solar. A game which was released 8Ĺ years ago which I worked on as a level/game/narrative designer and not as a producer. Also, the two rows before the last in the OP, plus what Sik said.
    New user who wants access to the forum? PM Melf!

Master of Shinobi

And Pier Solar got MULTIPLE reruns/reprints, that's how I got the game, mind you. Plus a fucking low cost edition so come on look for a better example.
    Lists of MD games: officially licensed (~925) @ cartridge size milestones @ Top 5 @ Top 250 (controversial) @ Sonic hacks @ best title screens @ Arcade ports (150)

I just had an idea, there's no need to stop runs of limited quantities at all.
    Instead why not just claim 'limited run' and then produce as many as possible. The game's supply is still limited, its just limited to what the publisher can sell. This is a trick that diecast car manufacturers have been using for many years and it seems to work. Back when I collected diecasts, I bought a few cars were announced as 'limited edition, pre-order now' but when the model arrived it came with a card declaring it to be one of a 'limited run of only 25,000 cars'.
    Doing the same thing with games would mean that collectors get the 'limited edition' that they seem to crave and scalpers can buy almost as many as they want without affecting game values for everyone else.
    I had my ring penetrated on Takeshi's Castle.

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

I'd be more impressed if they did what Sega of America did with their final games on the Saturn. They pressed X amount of copies and if the demand was there, they do another press run. That's what I like about NG Dev Team. They don't stop with just one print run and call it a day. They also have bundle deals for some their older stuff.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

What all these 'limited run' publishers are doing is what GameStop did a few years ago with Metroid Prime Trilogy for Wii. The original steelbook edition was selling used for $100+, so GameStop actually ordered a new printing from Nintendo, then opened them and sold them 'used' for 'collector' price. Basically, playing on the screwed up collectard market that has ruined gaming.

re: Pier Solar - my copy is from the last reprint run I believe so I don't think it counts for the purpose of this topic. Even Beggar Prince had a reprint run that wasn't hard to obtain.

I also think the strictly limited ideal is silly: It is just for ePenis purposes that such things exist. However it also makes it much easier to move a lot of stuff in a short amount of time. E.G Strictly limited sold a 1000 over a weekend. Which other modern retro game can claim that? Obviously they misjuged the market they could have easily sold 2000 copies instead of a 1000.

Master of Shinobi

Maybe collectards rushed to it because there were only going to be 1000 copies and not 2000?
    Lists of MD games: officially licensed (~925) @ cartridge size milestones @ Top 5 @ Top 250 (controversial) @ Sonic hacks @ best title screens @ Arcade ports (150)

This is what the company limited run games does. It's speculated that the majority of their sales are still sealed in collectors hands. It's basically become a game of hot potato with limited run games and sealed copies on ebay. I mean half the shit they get published to physical is just that shit. No one is out buying their games to play and open because they are good games.

Their premise as a company is to sell you scarcity.

Master of Shinobi

Have you all overlooked the most obvious answer?
    Do it your fucking selves.
    There's enough of you on here crying about it, pool your resources and start your own publishing company and see how well you do!

I don't get what's in it for devs to have deliberately limited prints published? I guess they see it as purely a 'prestige' thing as their main market is digital.

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by needler420 View Post
    This is what the company limited run games does. It's speculated that the majority of their sales are still sealed in collectors hands. It's basically become a game of hot potato with limited run games and sealed copies on ebay. I mean half the shit they get published to physical is just that shit. No one is out buying their games to play and open because they are good games.

Their premise as a company is to sell you scarcity.
    Thatís pretty much it. I donít buy them, because most of the games are pretty much garbage. Itís like paying $30 for games that are the quality of those Xbox 360 Burger King games. Why even care?
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

The Future Is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingRaging in the Streets SegataS's Avatar

90% of what LRG puts out doesn't interest me but Nex Machina is one of the best games I played in years. Night Trap is fun to have since I don't have a SEGA CD. I will always support Wonderboy and Dragons Trap was great. I have cherry picked some great stuff. Astebreed is a truly amazing game and I have to support Ys Origin. But yeah most of it just is not that interesting. I am no doubt getting Ninja Warriors tho from Play-Asia but then again not sure that is a limited run. Just has a physical in Japan I think. Western version is a Strictly Limited Run game tho. I prefer they just have people pre-order and make as many as demand calls for than someone rushing to their PC at 7 am rushing to buy it as the worst part about LRG is when the game is in your cart that does not mean you have it. So you may still not even get it after pressing submit because someone else was slightly faster than you. I have not had that happen but heard of people it has happened to.

Edit: My mistake my Wonder Boy copy is from Play-Asia as well not LRG.
    Last edited by SegataS; 06-27-2019 at 03:22 PM.

Life!? ... What console is that on?

Wonder Boy III The Dragon's Trap remake was worth getting, but I ordered my copy from Play-Asia.
    Last edited by Gentlegamer; 06-27-2019 at 03:37 PM.

Thread Information