Quantcast

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: GAME HUNTING TIPS?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by MrMatthews View Post
    All anyone has to do is glance over the Haul thread and itís pretty clear that game hunting is far from dead. You either want to still do it, or you donít.

I was just doing a bit of casual research to see what the most common answers were. I naively figured it would be a fun & productive conversation, but clearly I underestimated the pessimism and negativity around here.
    MrMatthews, I get that you still enjoy hunting in 2019, but it's obvious from the posts in this thread that for many the activity of hunting for video games has lost its luster for those of us here. With the advent of the iPhone/Smartphone at the turn of the decade and the simultaneously massive increase in popularity of retro gaming among Millennials that spiked prices on video games, hunting for and reselling video games is just not lucrative anymore. This is coming from someone who found a copy of Spiderman 32X complete in box for $1 in 2010 or so (A find from my brother for me.) You can see it in my past posts. I loved hunting for stuff.

Before, classic were viewed as a hobby for simply us nerds, and retro simply wasn't in vogue. A cultural firestorm of multiple things has made classic video games popular. And can you blame the other people on this forum for going to yard sales only to see the most overpriced junk you can find after 3 hour of digging through crap at flea markets, thrift stores, and yard sales on a Saturday morning?

There's just better ways to spend your time. Props to you for what you find, but the Return On Investment in time simply isn't worth it for anything more than a passing glance.
    Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    The Sega Saturn was God's gift to humanity. This is inarguable fact!
    Quote Originally Posted by llj View Post
    Count me as someone who never liked the Turbo/Hyper Fighting iterations of Street Fighter 2. The speed ups always struck me as too "Benny Hill".

Feedback Thread: http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...ack&highlight=

The Future Is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingRaging in the Streets SegataS's Avatar

A PCE Engine game I posted in that thread from Feb is the last in the wild retro game I bought. Where I live my options were limited when it was a healthy place to go find retro games. Now resellers stalk thrift stores and thrift stores sell them at eBay prices. Yard sales saw people look up on their phone what it costs on eBay to see what to sell it for. So my only other options are the retail retro game shops that sell games at asking price. My better bet is to buy from a couple of online shops I know of that sell imports real cheap but I usually have what he sells. Just a nice gem from time to time. No, I am not sharing. Sorry. A few years ago that thread would not be littered with my PS4 and Switch games but old SEGA system games. I was getting them by the truckload. Now I just have to mainly choose between modern and retro and I chose modern for now.

Life!? ... What console is that on?

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

I believe that if you are trying to get the most high demand games, you're going to come up short looking around your local area. The more common games like Aladdin, Sonic the Hedgehog, most titles for N64, GBA, DS, Xbox, PS2, PS3, 3DS, PSP, 360, Wii and Wii U can still be had for fairly cheap prices. I picked up Steel Diver (3DS) complete and a loose cart Drill Spririts (DS) for a total of $5 from a Game Stop a couple of weeks ago. I've seen complete copies of Aladdin (Gen) at least a couple of times in the past month selling for $11. Do you people complaining live in really small rural areas?
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

The Future Is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingRaging in the Streets SegataS's Avatar

I live downtown in the capital city of my state. Yeah, I see that stuff like Aladdin and Sonic but I have them. Just the era of me finding R4 PS1 CIB for $3 or Mischief Makers for $1 or original Xbox in great condition for $5 and a Gamecube with GBA Player for $15 and all those Genesis controllers and 32X for $10 and so much more at thrift places are over. in 2011 I got Mega Man 64 sealed for $20. I opened it and played it btw. Retro shops are not that cheap and are so far away from me plus I don't drive. Once in a while I go see a movie at the mall down the street and go to Gamestop see if they have any deals for PS3/360 games. Rarely find much but check anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    I believe that if you are trying to get the most high demand games, you're going to come up short looking around your local area. The more common games like Aladdin, Sonic the Hedgehog, most titles for N64, GBA, DS, Xbox, PS2, PS3, 3DS, PSP, 360, Wii and Wii U can still be had for fairly cheap prices. I picked up Steel Diver (3DS) complete and a loose cart Drill Spririts (DS) for a total of $5 from a Game Stop a couple of weeks ago. I've seen complete copies of Aladdin (Gen) at least a couple of times in the past month selling for $11. Do you people complaining live in really small rural areas?
    I have a sealed copy of steel diver someone can have for free lol. I got multiple sealed copies for 1 penny. Also comparing to my last haul, I never said you can't find stuff and that there are no deals out there any more. I said it's not like it was. You don't see all the hauls I used to get and never posted. I have had insane crazy deals that I just don't post because either the regulars here just won't believe it or I may not want to put it in the open like that. Competition is very fierce. The best example I can give is what happened to comics books in the 90s. They went mainstream and people who have no affiliation for the like of comics books invested and played the speculation game. Well in 1997 half the comic books stores in the USA closed shop.

You're seeing this now with a lot of brick and mortar stores. They open up in the current booming market and last a few years, well they don't make their profits off of new software sales. So when you aren't getting trade ins and just collectors removing things from circulation then your business isn't going to last. That and so many resellers trying to make a spread on the same game.
    Last edited by needler420; 07-07-2019 at 12:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SegataS View Post
    I live downtown in the capital city of my state. Yeah, I see that stuff like Aladdin and Sonic but I have them. Just the era of me finding R4 PS1 CIB for $3 or Mischief Makers for $1 or original Xbox in great condition for $5 and a Gamecube with GBA Player for $15 and all those Genesis controllers and 32X for $10 and so much more at thrift places are over. in 2011 I got Mega Man 64 sealed for $20. I opened it and played it btw. Retro shops are not that cheap and are so far away from me plus I don't drive. Once in a while I go see a movie at the mall down the street and go to Gamestop see if they have any deals for PS3/360 games. Rarely find much but check anyway.
    That's part of the problem, you don't drive. I live in the Dallas/Ft. Worth metroplex that has a population of nearly 7 million. There are more game stores than I could ever visit, along with thrift stores and book stores that carry vintage games. Yeah, 10 years ago I could get a majority of NES, Genesis and SNES games for pretty cheap, but they are now antique items, and as such, their prices have increased. Amiga and C64 games aren't selling for cheap either, because they are vintage items. Maybe there will come a day when vintage games will come down in price, but considering that video games are now mre poopular than watching television, it's very unlikely.

https://www.gamecrate.com/statistica...tainment/20087
    Last edited by gamevet; 07-07-2019 at 12:57 AM.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

The best tip I can give you is to watch this video.Thank me later.

I've watched that video. He's spot on. People expecting older games to drop down in price aren't being realistic.

HNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNG Raging in the Streets Moirai's Avatar

I find this hobby to be kind of depressing sometimes. ROMs and flash cards give me life.

Rebel scum Shining Hero MrMatthews's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    MrMatthews, I get that you still enjoy hunting in 2019, but it's obvious from the posts in this thread that for many the activity of hunting for video games has lost its luster for those of us here. With the advent of the iPhone/Smartphone at the turn of the decade and the simultaneously massive increase in popularity of retro gaming among Millennials that spiked prices on video games, hunting for and reselling video games is just not lucrative anymore. This is coming from someone who found a copy of Spiderman 32X complete in box for $1 in 2010 or so (A find from my brother for me.) You can see it in my past posts. I loved hunting for stuff.

Before, classic were viewed as a hobby for simply us nerds, and retro simply wasn't in vogue. A cultural firestorm of multiple things has made classic video games popular. And can you blame the other people on this forum for going to yard sales only to see the most overpriced junk you can find after 3 hour of digging through crap at flea markets, thrift stores, and yard sales on a Saturday morning?

There's just better ways to spend your time. Props to you for what you find, but the Return On Investment in time simply isn't worth it for anything more than a passing glance.
    Oh... do you think Iím being unreasonable? I donít care if people donít collect anymore, itís their business. However, Iíve made it pretty clear that Iím not actually talking to the people who have given up on it completely. Some people clearly have nothing to add to the conversation, but instead of saying nothing at all, theyíre basically trolling. So ... *shrug*

Now if youíll excuse me, I need to pop into the Perpetual Movie thread and tell everyone there that watching movies is a waste of time.

AKA Mister Xiado WCPO Agent Raijin Z's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    Do you people complaining live in really small rural areas?
    My area is the northern 1/3rd of my state, and the western 1/6th of the adjacent state. I've put thousands of miles on my current car just looking for anything of interest. Books, music, movies, computers and related items, miscellaneous electronics, and tools. Places include thrift stores, rummage sales, yard/garage/neighborhood sales, flea markets, book stores, and pawn shops. As they say in real estate, the three most important words are location, location, and location. If you are in a place where dregs on the dole scour the landscape clear every morning without fail, you're better off looking online.
    - Where it's always 1992 (or so).
    Youtube - Terminated

Quote Originally Posted by Raijin Z View Post
    My area is the northern 1/3rd of my state, and the western 1/6th of the adjacent state. I've put thousands of miles on my current car just looking for anything of interest. Books, music, movies, computers and related items, miscellaneous electronics, and tools. Places include thrift stores, rummage sales, yard/garage/neighborhood sales, flea markets, book stores, and pawn shops. As they say in real estate, the three most important words are location, location, and location. If you are in a place where dregs on the dole scour the landscape clear every morning without fail, you're better off looking online.
    I haven't gone to a garage sale in ages. The last time I went to one, I got a couple of cheap Xbox 360 games.

I have the good fortune of having a company vehicle (just got upgraded from a 2015 to a loaded 2019 Toyota Tacoma), with all of my gas and tolls paid for. I do 90% of my work in the Dallas/Ft.Worth area and I'll drive as far as 8 hours to places like Missouri, or Louisiana. I don't really visit thrift stores anymore, because most of them are just garbage dumps now. I visit retail book and video game stores. Half-Price Books is my go to store in the DFW area, as well as Movie Trading Company

I discovered a really cool store down in Beaumont Texas, called 2nd and Charles. I got boxed copies of Lode Runner 3D and World Driver Championship for less than $10 there, and the boxes came with protective plastic cases. This was a couple of years ago, and I've just discovered that Houston now has a store, as does Seattle.

I got these Atari 2600 games, along with the N64 games from 2nd and Charles. They had several other boxed 2600 games that I'd wanted, but I wasn't planning on spending more than $50 that day.

I got all 4 of those Genesis games (within the last 2 years) from Half-Price-Books locations throughout the DFW area. I believe one of them I got earlier this year. I got In the Hunt from a store by my office. They were part of a small chain that I believe was called Buy, Sell, Trade, but I'm not sure, They sold a bunch of their stock for nearly half-price and moved to a smaller space next door. They changed their name to Recharge, and I've only visited the new store about 2 times since the downsize.

Most of the used games I've been buying for the past couple of years have been for the PSP (still a lot of good stuff to be found), Wii, Wii U, 3DS/DS and PS3. I look for Saturn and Dreamcast games, but most of what I find, I already have, or it's in bad shape.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Well if Game Chasers is anything to go by Texas is a dumping ground for peoples old games.

Rebel scum Shining Hero MrMatthews's Avatar

I think 2nd And Charles was actually IN the Game Chasers, actually. Gamevet, do you watch that show?

Quote Originally Posted by MrMatthews View Post
    I think 2nd And Charles was actually IN the Game Chasers, actually. Gamevet, do you watch that show?
    I've bought Season 2 (DVD) and Season IV (Blu-Ray). It would have been cool if all of their seasons were on Blu-Ray.

I've been to the store in their (Flinstones Dinosaur Peak) Waxasnatchie episode. It's a Game Trade in Waxahachie Texas, just a little over an hour away from down town Dallas. That place was a gold mine in the late 90's and early 2000's.

I've actually ran into Melvor while he was working at a Home Depot (Paint department) in Arlington. I gave him a nod and told him I enjoyed the show.

Quote Originally Posted by SegataS View Post
    Well if Game Chasers is anything to go by Texas is a dumping ground for peoples old games.
    That's because their is a lot of money in Texas. It's the same with California. I think it was like 4 or 5 years ago that I was flown to Orange County in California for training. I dropped by a store close to the area and scored a boxed (complete) Star Flight and Star Control for the Genesis for less than $10 each.
    Last edited by gamevet; 07-07-2019 at 10:19 PM.

Thread Information