Quantcast

Thread: New Dreamcast Documentary

The Future Is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingRaging in the Streets SegataS's Avatar

Film New Dreamcast Documentary

Life!? ... What console is that on?

Kikunchi-san is simply put the best produced in SEGA and the whole of Japan. I almost worshipped him and Ueda-san back in the day and so wish he was allowed to have and run his own Team at SEGA
    Tetsuya Mizuguchi is along with Yu Suzuki a GOD and a Genius. People talk of SEGA's screw-ups, letting Yu Suzuki go ranks has one their biggest, along with getting rid of SmileBit and UGA; which also sadly meant Mizuguchi-san left SEGA Japan/ #Respect to the late and great Isao Okawa-san too.

Such a same the casuals and so many gamers, feel in love with the crap that is SONY PlayStation. The Dreamcast was so much better than the PS2
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training Cristiano Sword's Avatar

This documentary is very good.
    Good to know how things worked behind the curtains

After watching this it really resonates with me as to why I stopped buying consoles after the Dreamcast was discontinued.

The market was no longer directed by the video gamer but instead the casual buyer, the customer, and the consumer who were now the king-makers.

Back then, and especially now, do I believe that the Dreamcast was the best console of its generation.

I loved the Sony Playstation but I was not impressed with the PS2, and I still don't own one.
    It's actually hard for me to relate when others say how great the PS2 was. I honestly don't see it.

For me the PS2 was misfortuned in realizing what many other entries before it had tried to become but were unsuccessful; While I recognized the Dreamcast as the best dedicated gaming platform, the PS2 would be championed for being the best multi-media platform. It was the master vs the jack-of-all-trades in my mind.

So is it all sour grapes? I don't know.

I just find it frustrating when people try to summarize Sega's failure with the Dreamcast on the shortcomings of the Saturn or 32X.

Bullsh!t.

For me, when it comes down to it: Sega didn't fail Sega, anyone who didn't buy a Dreamcast failed Sega.

And even the developers: Konami didn't provide dick. Namco got cold feet. Thank God for Capcom. And as much of a pipe-dream it'd have been with Square, they would have been better off throwing a bone than wasting that time and money on that lousy f#cking movie.

Whatever. Appreciate the video. Sorry to rant.

The Future Is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingRaging in the Streets SegataS's Avatar

As a person who worships the DC, I do feel 4 things would have kept the DC alive. I don't think anything could beat PS2 tho in sales. All hardware related. First at least 32MB of ram. (PS2 at 32, GC at 43 and Xbox at 64...DC's 16 just didn't cut it) A second analog stick. A built-in DVD player on top of the modem. It used DVDs instead of GDrom. I just don't think SEGA was able to afford any of this. Some will argue but it's always been my belief. DC will likely never be dethroned as my fave system ever. At the same time so many amazing games on consoles over the years I just could not let myself miss out. Maybe when consoles go all digital/streaming I will.

Life!? ... What console is that on?

Quote Originally Posted by Lync View Post

And even the developers: Konami didn't provide dick. Namco got cold feet. Thank God for Capcom. And as much of a pipe-dream it'd have been with Square, they would have been better off throwing a bone than wasting that time and money on that lousy f#cking movie.

Very true, I find both amazing and disappointing at how many so-called SEGA fans are so ready to pore praise on SONY and especially the PS2. Funny you should talk about Capcom, I have an interview with Capcom who have a better of a go at SONY and we all know Shinji Mikami hated the PS2
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert Virtua Hunter's Avatar

There is also part 2

I agree with Yoot Saito, the biggest mistake with Deamcast was "Sega wrongly estimated their profitability", it's the same mistake they did on the Saturn.
    They should've played safe like Nintendo, who sell hardware without losing a cent.
    Especially since for two times, Sega fought with a company like Sony who could produce the entire console and almost all its components in-house at cost zero, you can't gamble on a lost battle.

And Dreamcast was a gamble, like Yuji Naka said once.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training

Awesome documentary. Thanks for sharing both parts.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training

Quote Originally Posted by Lync View Post
    After watching this it really resonates with me as to why I stopped buying consoles after the Dreamcast was discontinued.

The market was no longer directed by the video gamer but instead the casual buyer, the customer, and the consumer who were now the king-makers.

Back then, and especially now, do I believe that the Dreamcast was the best console of its generation.

I loved the Sony Playstation but I was not impressed with the PS2, and I still don't own one.
    It's actually hard for me to relate when others say how great the PS2 was. I honestly don't see it.

For me the PS2 was misfortuned in realizing what many other entries before it had tried to become but were unsuccessful; While I recognized the Dreamcast as the best dedicated gaming platform, the PS2 would be championed for being the best multi-media platform. It was the master vs the jack-of-all-trades in my mind.

So is it all sour grapes? I don't know.

I just find it frustrating when people try to summarize Sega's failure with the Dreamcast on the shortcomings of the Saturn or 32X.

Bullsh!t.

For me, when it comes down to it: Sega didn't fail Sega, anyone who didn't buy a Dreamcast failed Sega.

Great post, Lync. You've summed up my, and probably a lot of other SEGA fans', thoughts with your comments.

I also feel that the Dreamcast, along with the Gamecube, was the last true gamers console. PS2, Xbox and beyond were all about being multimedia centres. There's nothing wrong with that, but unfortunately it meant that the sorts of games that we had been enjoying up until this generation became sparse and even died in some cases. And that meant that a lot of what I had come to love about gaming became rarer and hard to find, which distanced me from the industry at the time. I had to go back to previous generations to get my gaming fix, which made me the retro gamer I am today. When Dreamcast died, a big part of the industry died with it.

Thread Information