Quantcast

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Top 10 Genesis Shoot 'em Ups (according to profholt82)

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert MushaAleste's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chilled View Post
    Most of us are already able to call you an idiot for not having TFIV as your No1 pick.
    The point of personal lists is always rather subjective. But objectively talking TFIV does a number of questionable things. Like close objects appearing to be much farther away due to their shading. Which usually results in the player crashing right into these. TFIV is one of the very few games where enemy projectiles have the exact same colour as your own. Which makes the game quite confusing at times. Not even mentioning the horrendous slowdown because they had to slap a million sprites on screen at once. TFIV is a top MD game. But it is also objectively flawed.

Master of Shinobi

one thing I never get about slowdown complains is... isn't that supposed to ease the hardest parts of a game? Isn't it intentional to some extent? Also, another thing I know nothing about: why some game "suffer" from slowdown while others suffer from heavy flickering (ie Streets of Rage II in harder difficulties) instead of slowdown? The former is related to cpu contraints whilst the latter is related for graphical output constraints (sprites per line, etc.), right?

Why does slowdown have a way worse rep than flickering, which is quite common on most games on some selected scenes? Aren't both flaws (like in "you programmed something that this console cannot handle")
    Lists of MD games: officially licensed (~925) @ cartridge sizes @ Top 5 @ Top 250 (controversial) @ Sonic hacks @ best title screens @ Arcade ports (150) @ best European

Slow down is never intentional, but it is true that it nearly always showed up right when the game became hard (because it spawned lots of enemies or something) and you really could use some extra reflexes. Hell, I imagine we only started complaining about slow down as adults now that we know it's a programming issue, back then you either were just glad about it or outright would mistake it for intentional (like how movies slow down on dramatic scenes).

I always find amusing that Sonic 2 slows down right in the rising water area of Chemical Plant 2. Better yet, it only slows down when you're doing badly (Sonic breathing lots of bubbles pushes it past the limit, it seems, so slow down only happens if you stay underwater). It's easy to see how somebody who doesn't understand about hardware limits could mistake that for intentional.

Master of Shinobi

Well I reckon I was only thinking about shooters... that's were I always heard that on *some* of them it was intentional to some extent, like in "we know it's going to slowdown but it'll be better for the player, also dramatic effect". Of course most of the time it was a lame excuse as you said. But still. Also it's funny that it's the opposite with the flickering: less would ease somewhat the gameplay, because you actually do see everything that's happening.
    Lists of MD games: officially licensed (~925) @ cartridge sizes @ Top 5 @ Top 250 (controversial) @ Sonic hacks @ best title screens @ Arcade ports (150) @ best European

Some mention to Battle Mania Daijingou?

Quote Originally Posted by chilled View Post
    one thing I never get about slowdown complains is... isn't that supposed to ease the hardest parts of a game? Isn't it intentional to some extent? Also, another thing I know nothing about: why some game "suffer" from slowdown while others suffer from heavy flickering (ie Streets of Rage II in harder difficulties) instead of slowdown? The former is related to cpu contraints whilst the latter is related for graphical output constraints (sprites per line, etc.), right?

Why does slowdown have a way worse rep than flickering, which is quite common on most games on some selected scenes? Aren't both flaws (like in "you programmed something that this console cannot handle")
    I remember trying overclocking on TF4 in Regen but there was still slowdown in some parts, such as the bosses of that first city stage.
    On a wave of mutilation

https://minirevver.weebly.com/

Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by EPSYLON EAGLE View Post
    Some mention to Battle Mania Daijingou?
    it's an 8 meg game... it doesn't look/sound like like more, does it?

edit: erm sorry wrong thread. Anyway OP stated he was only looking at USA releases no BMD is a no-go.
    Last edited by chilled; 07-11-2019 at 06:21 PM.

The Gaming Gangsta Master of Shinobi profholt82's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BubsyFan1 View Post
    Did you consider Sub-Terrania to be a shoot 'em up for the purposes of this list? That's a game I revisited recently, and I actually enjoyed it a lot (well, until I got destroyed on stage seven). I can definitely see my self spending some more time with it in the near future.

Granada is one I've been meaning to revisit for quite some time. I played it a bit after I acquired it and remembered liking it, but I haven't spent nearly enough time with it.
    I have the game, and while not a traditional shoot 'em up, I suppose it qualifies. However, I didn't consider it for my top 10 as I don't think it's one of the ten best games in the genre. It's still a good game though, and I love the atmosphere of it. The graphics and sound make for a really cool gaming experience. I think it is rather difficult, but I haven't spent enough time with it to master. And there are some really cool looking memorable bosses Sub-Terrania.

Wildside Expert

I agree with Thunder Force 3 ahead of TFIV. Though the mountain / undersea level in 4 may be the most graphically impressive level in the whole 2D series, I think the environments overall are better in 3. You have fire, ice, water, forest etc. and each has its own unique soundtrack & effects that are perfect for the level. The fire level was groundbreaking for the time, and the music is perfect as the beginning of the level is total chaos for a new player with fireballs & columns of fire coming from all directions. Each level just adds the right music & sounds to immerse the player in the environment.

I'm not saying that 4 doesn't have great music, sounds or environments - just that I think 3 does it better overall.
    Last edited by redsox2013; 07-12-2019 at 12:26 AM.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingSports Talker StandardDeluxe's Avatar

In no particular order my top 5 would be:

Thunder Force IV
    MUSHA Aleste
    Twinkle Tale
    Gleylancer
    Tatsujin

My top 30 right now (including MCD games):
    Thunder Force IV Technosoft
    Thunder Force III Technosoft
    Panorama Cotton - Success
    Battle Mania Daiginjou - VIC Tokai
    M.U.S.H.A. Compile
    Lords of Thunder (MCD) - Hudson Soft/Eleven
    Super Fantasy Zone Sunsoft
    Gaiares Telenet Japan
    Bari-Arm/Android Assault (MCD) - Human
    Keio Flying Squadron (MCD) - Victor Entertainment

Eliminate Down Aprinet/Varie
    Advanced Busterhawk Gley Lancer NCS
    Robo Aleste (MCD) - Compile
    Elemental Master Technosoft
    Bio-Hazard Battle/Crying - Sega CS
    Thunder Force II Technosoft
    SoulStar (MCD) - Core Design
    Fire Shark Toaplan
    Steel Empire - HOT-B
    Hellfire Toaplan/NCS

Gynoug/Wings of Wor NCS/Winds/Cube
    Undeadline/Undead Line - PALSOFT
    Forgotten Worlds - Sega R&D2
    Trouble Shooter/Battle Mania - VIC Tokai
    Space Harrier (32X) - Rutubo Games
    Silpheed (MCD) - Game Arts
    Space Invaders '91 - Taito
    Burning Force - Namco
    Aero Blasters/Air Buster - Kaneko/Inter State
    Night Striker (MCD) - Aisystem Tokyo
    On a wave of mutilation

https://minirevver.weebly.com/

Everyone here has already mentioned all of my favorites except two:

Zero Wing - Toaplan:

I swear this game is so much more than just one of the internet's oldest memes. Zero Wing is an incredibly well-rounded side scrolling SHMUP for the system. Outside of the engrish one-liners, I rarely see Zero Wing receive much praise; Especially with the solid Genesis port, Zero Wing is genre-defining and certainly a benchmark in quality.

Phelios - Namco:

In hindsight the Genesis was really the only Sega system Namco seemed to push; The Splatterhouse series, Rolling Thunder series, and as mentioned its port of Burning Force... but no one talks about Phelios? It received a tailor-made port for the 16-bitter. It plays great, looks great, sounds great, and let me tell you about the satisfaction of beating Phelios: IT'S DELIGHTFUL! Man, Namco knew how to end a game with Phelios which to me is sometimes as important as the game itself.

The Future Is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingRaging in the Streets SegataS's Avatar

Gaiares & MUSHA are already mentioned so I will go with one no one has yet. Raiden Trad. Does Ranger X count or is that Run n gun?

Life!? ... What console is that on?

The Gaming Gangsta Master of Shinobi profholt82's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lync View Post
    Everyone here has already mentioned all of my favorites except two:

Zero Wing - Toaplan:

I swear this game is so much more than just one of the internet's oldest memes. Zero Wing is an incredibly well-rounded side scrolling SHMUP for the system. Outside of the engrish one-liners, I rarely see Zero Wing receive much praise; Especially with the solid Genesis port, Zero Wing is genre-defining and certainly a benchmark in quality.

Phelios - Namco:

In hindsight the Genesis was really the only Sega system Namco seemed to push; The Splatterhouse series, Rolling Thunder series, and as mentioned its port of Burning Force... but no one talks about Phelios? It received a tailor-made port for the 16-bitter. It plays great, looks great, sounds great, and let me tell you about the satisfaction of beating Phelios: IT'S DELIGHTFUL! Man, Namco knew how to end a game with Phelios which to me is sometimes as important as the game itself.
    Phelios would probably make my top 15, I love the ancient Greece setting of that game. There's nothing that sets the gameplay apart really, but it plays well enough and the setting makes it unique.

Now that I've got a Mega SG, I've been considering branching out to Japan releases as I believe it can play all regions natively, I'll have to double check on that. And Zero Wing has been on my radar for years now, so I may be picking that one up sooner rather than later. I love Toaplan shooters, and it sucks that we never got that one in the US.

Quote Originally Posted by SegataS View Post
    Gaiares & MUSHA are already mentioned so I will go with one no one has yet. Raiden Trad. Does Ranger X count or is that Run n gun?
    Ranger X has a steep learning curve, but once you figure out how to play it well, it's a great game. Much more than just pretty eye candy. There's the initial temptation to just blast your way through it like Contra, but it requires more methodical play. Positioning and utilizing your motorcycle effIectively while flying out on your own is imperative to getting far. Also, using the right weapons at the right time. There's a lot of depth to the gameplay. I wouldn't call it a shmup though, definitely much more of a run n gun.

And who doesn't love Raiden Trad, one of the best shoot 'em ups of all time. It's just that there are many better ports out there than that of the Genesis. It plays well enough, and if you only had a Genesis in the early 90s, it would get the job done. But nowadays, if I want to play Raiden, I'd do it on pretty much any other console before the Gen port.

I played TFIII in the first half of 1992 and loved it. Great graphics, music and the playability which I came to expect in every following TF episode.
    Then came TFIV, and I have to say I found it superior in pretty much every aspect, apart from the slowdowns of course, but I wasn't too bothered by them.
    One strange thing no one could ever explain to me: when you start the game in Maniac mode at level 2 (Ruin), the demiboss comes right away and fires, and... No slowdown (in the European verion at least).

Thread Information