Quantcast

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: games that look bigger (in storage size) than they are

Death Bringer Raging in the Streets Black_Tiger's Avatar

Valis III is only a 6(?) meg game, yet it retains the superfluous intro and enough of the cinema assets that it still feels likely a beefy CD game. The voice acting substitute adds to the cinematic experience.

The number and length of stages stills feel satisfying and there are three playable characters, each with unique pixelart and (generous for the time) animation. The variety of assets throughout and how well some are reused really made it feel huge at the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

Quote Originally Posted by axel View Post
    With modern hardware this kind of low level compression is becoming a lost art. Most impressive example I have seen lately is Micro Mages. But if you aren't putting your game on a cart maybe it's not necessary, with the Mega SD a game could now be 400 GB. I think it will be great, developers can concentrate on the game itself rather than how it will fit in limited ROM.
    I don't think Mega SD can address that much directly, it doesn't let you access the SD card directly as far as I can tell (maybe you meant 400MB? also a 400GB SD card is a beast…) There's also the problem of how to debug it without an emulator, since so far none supports any of its features.

That said, I only use basic compression and I always struggle to get even to 1MB (and Arkagis Revolution has broken that barrier only because of a look-up table and the voice acting, I could probably cram the game into 512KB without those two), and stuff like chunks is always useful not just to save space but also to keep your sanity, really. Heck, sometimes I throw in compression not because I need it, but because it's easier than dealing with stuff like the 128KB boundary issue with DMA transfers (since by this point all I need to do to add compression is to copy two files…).

Micro Mages had to go to extreme measures because of the hard 40KB limit, but on Mega Drive the equivalent limit is 4MB and simply paying attention to some basic things will take you a long way (and smaller sizes are not worth it, you save a bit by going to 2MB but it starts getting more expensive at smaller sizes).

Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Tiger View Post
    Valis III is only a 6(?) meg game
    every version of the game is 8 MEG.
    Lists of MD games: officially licensed (~925) @ cartridge size milestones @ Top 5 @ Top 250 (controversial) @ Sonic hacks @ best title screens @ Arcade ports (150)

Outrunner

Quote Originally Posted by Sik View Post
    I don't think Mega SD can address that much directly, it doesn't let you access the SD card directly as far as I can tell (maybe you meant 400MB? also a 400GB SD card is a beast…) There's also the problem of how to debug it without an emulator, since so far none supports any of its features.

That said, I only use basic compression and I always struggle to get even to 1MB (and Arkagis Revolution has broken that barrier only because of a look-up table and the voice acting, I could probably cram the game into 512KB without those two), and stuff like chunks is always useful not just to save space but also to keep your sanity, really. Heck, sometimes I throw in compression not because I need it, but because it's easier than dealing with stuff like the 128KB boundary issue with DMA transfers (since by this point all I need to do to add compression is to copy two files…).

Micro Mages had to go to extreme measures because of the hard 40KB limit, but on Mega Drive the equivalent limit is 4MB and simply paying attention to some basic things will take you a long way (and smaller sizes are not worth it, you save a bit by going to 2MB but it starts getting more expensive at smaller sizes).
    I saw the number 400 GB in the Mega SD thread but maybe I misread it, maybe that is the maximum card size it can handle.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert nihilblack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by axel View Post
    I saw the number 400 GB in the Mega SD thread but maybe I misread it, maybe that is the maximum card size it can handle.
    Yes, you can use an SD with a maximum size of 400GB. The Mega CD side of the MegaSD admits swapping discs on those games that have more than one, so maybe theoretically you could make a MegaCD game with enough discs to reach the 400GB size (if there were a homebrewer crazy enough, that is).

Outrunner

Quote Originally Posted by nihilblack View Post
    Yes, you can use an SD with a maximum size of 400GB. The Mega CD side of the MegaSD admits swapping discs on those games that have more than one, so maybe theoretically you could make a MegaCD game with enough discs to reach the 400GB size (if there were a homebrewer crazy enough, that is).
    What I was picturing is like being able to store sprites as they appear on sprite sheets, or backgrounds without any optimization. But I guess that might not be a good idea anyway because of VRAM and DMA limits.

Thread Information