Quantcast

Thread: PAL Mega Drive - black screen and strange region issue

Death Adder's minion

Default PAL Mega Drive - black screen and strange region issue

I'm trying to fix my friend's unmodded Mega Drive and I'm totally stumped.

When a cartidrge is in, the console displays the "Produced By..." license but then it's followed by a black screen. None of the games I tested would boot, aside from Rambo 3 which booted a grey Sega screen with a white box where the Sega logo should be and then crashed.

Weirdly, some games (such as Street Fighter 2, Aladdin) boot but they display a region message despite being a PAL game on a PAL console!

I've thoroughly cleaned the cartridge slot and re-aligned the pins but no dice. I've taken the console apart to look for bad soldering joints but haven't found anything.

Anyone have any ideas?

Video Game Modder Outrunner segasonicfan's Avatar

The first thing you want to do is take a dive into the Genesis II service manual. Look at the schematics and identify the PAL region pin on the main ASIC. I'd imagine that you possibly have a short on that pin. a lock after TMSS usually indicates Z80 issue, but since you have some games booting I bet you have a short or maybe even a broken trace to the cart slot. .

I'm developing a detailed repair guide for issues like this, but since it's unpaid labor and my schedule is packed ( and I have bills up to my ears ) I probably won't be finishing it anytime soon. Check back on my site later though, cause it will be going up at some point.

Also be sure to check the Genesis 1 service manual that I added links to in the service manual thread by omp. It has a super useful flow repair chart in there.

Thread Information