Quantcast

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Phantom Gear, kickstarter July 16th

Nameless One

I'm on the fence. The game looks good but I don't think associating with coffee crisis is a good thing. It's one of the few recent Homebrew titles I didn't purchase because it's looked half baked. Going to sleep on it, good luck with your campaign.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One Chaos Fusion's Avatar

Just finished playing the demo and I enjoyed it a lot. Has my support and looking forward to future updates + progress.
    Last edited by Chaos Fusion; 07-18-2019 at 02:25 AM.

AKA Mister Xiado WCPO Agent Raijin Z's Avatar

The only scam I lost money on via crowdfunding was You Are Not the Hero, but that was fifteen bucks.
    I made the mistake of buying into Con-Man and Rainbow Whale-Woman's money laundering scheme, AKA Mighty No. 9. Never installed it, but I still have the box and manual.
    My suggestion for a fun side-mission to earn money in River City Ransom Underground (deliver packages without dropping or bashing them too much for more money) was corrupted and turned into everybody's most hated part of the game, the damn mandatory milk delivery mission.
    Before my income took a nosedive to hell, I went with cart&case for Tanglewood, and the same for Xeno Crisis (also the Dreamcast version). At least I don't regret these ones.
    - Where it's always 1992 (or so).
    Youtube - Terminated

Hero of Algol

Quote Originally Posted by homerhomer View Post
    I'm on the fence. The game looks good but I don't think associating with coffee crisis is a good thing. It's one of the few recent Homebrew titles I didn't purchase because it's looked half baked.
    I have the same opinion on Coffee Crisis, but it's important to understand that these are completely different development teams (and tools).
    Coffee Crisis was developed by Mega Cat Studios while Phantom Gear is only being published by it.

Coffee Crisis seems to use some sort of rough SDK, while Phantom Gear is being coded in assembly.
    Pixel art completely different (and much, much better on Phantom Gear), far superior music (proper YM2612 + PSG compositions), etc.

Another example is Tšnzer, which is a great game developed basically by one guy using the SGDK and published by Mega Cat Studios. Also vastly superior to Coffee Crisis.
    So the quality in their catalog seems to vary a lot, but I'd definitely recommend both Tšnzer and Phantom Gear.

And you can go with the $15 option if you're not so confident in the project yet and maybe go for a CIB copy after release.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One Chaos Fusion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Raijin Z View Post
    The only scam I lost money on via crowdfunding was You Are Not the Hero, but that was fifteen bucks.
    Sorry off topic but you just reminded me of that one. Almost backed it when Kickstarter was the hip new thing back in 2013 thanks to Mighty No.9.
    Glad I dodged that bullet.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher

Quote Originally Posted by Barone View Post
    Coffee Crisis seems to use some sort of rough SDK, while Phantom Gear is being coded in assembly.
    Coffee uses SGDK, just like most Gen games.

Hero of Algol

^Thanks for the info.

Well, half baked or not, at least it got released. Unlike some other beat'em up.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingOutrunner avlon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Barone View Post
    ^Thanks for the info.

Well, half baked or not, at least it got released. Unlike some other beat'em up.
    I picked up Coffee Crisis recently and I'd say it's about 75% baked. Their original mistake was describing it to be like Streets of Rage when it plays far more like the Simpsons Arcade Game.

Animation and art direction for the main characters and cut-scenes are top notch. Music is a resounding "meh". The problem stems from baffling gameplay decisions... like needing to go to the right edge of the screen and push it to scroll. Who thought that was a good decision in development? Hit detection and range really sucks with the guy while the girl's is tolerable.

Weapons don't have any "oomph" behind them and the characters walk WAY too fast. Their walk is the speed of other games running.

Whoever play tested this before release most likely never played a proper beat-em-up or pushed it out as a cash grab. Sad. It could have been far better with some tweaking.

Smarter move would have to bundle it with Tanzer. It's a good game with a successful kickstarter.

Hero of Algol

Phantom Gear's kickstarter is at 50% of its primary goal already. Nice!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...sis-mega-drive

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher

It's now fully funded, with plenty of time left.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training

Good to see this got fully funded. Hopefully they'll reach a stretch goal or two

Level 1 Blast Processor Road Rasher

In Coffee Crisis' defence, whatever you think of the game, the publisher is top tier. Track record of delivering, high quality carts, fast shipping times, good communication.

Also also, 2nd revision of the game was a lot more polished, they had issues with the first release.

AKA Mister Xiado WCPO Agent Raijin Z's Avatar

That defends the publisher, not the game. There's no denying that the game needed actual testing, and revision based on the reports from the testers. That said, I'll be eternally irritated that my request for a delivery side mission (as a means of making money other than dialing combos into a thousand mooks' faces) in River City Ransom Underground was corrupted into the mandatory and aggravating "deliver this brittle case of milk bottles while performing awkward platform jumping, and linear sections with no multidimensional movement" mission.
    - Where it's always 1992 (or so).
    Youtube - Terminated

Master of Shinobi

backed! Looks great, plays like a more modern platformer. Not sure if that's a good or bad thing. Time and trends will tell. I find the August 2020 deadline a bit on the optimistic side of things but who is in a hurry nowadays?
    Lists of MD games: officially licensed (~925) @ cartridge size milestones @ Top 5 @ Top 250 (controversial) @ Sonic hacks @ best title screens @ Arcade ports (150)

Thread Information