Quantcast

Thread: Virtua Fighter 2 (Saturn)

Saturn Virtua Fighter 2 (Saturn)

Sega released a technical marvel with the Saturn version of Virtua Fighter 2. Graphical compromises were made for it to happen, but the gameplay made the transition home intact. AM2 added a ton of great options as well, making this port a must-have for Saturn owners. Read the full review for more details.

counter of beans Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert Cafeman's Avatar

Good review of a great game. I couldn't believe what I was seeing, when it first came out, because it was so far beyond VF1. VF2 performed better than anything else at home at the time. I would never have spent enough quarters to get good at this game in the arcades, since it had so much depth. It loaded extremely fast as well!

Death Bringer Raging in the Streets Black_Tiger's Avatar

There have been very few times when I've been shocked by seeing a video game for the first time and that kind of magical experience was sustained. The first time I saw Virtua Racing and Daytona USA arcades were two of those rare occasions that I'll never forget. Virtua Fighter 2 for Saturn was another.

I'd already fallen in love with VF1 for Saturn long before I got VF2, which I special ordered in advance to ensure I got it as early as possible. Even with high expectations after reading previews in mags like Gamefan, I was still not prepaired for the first time I saw it running on my TV at home.

The combination of 60fps, high resolution, the texture detail which justified it, solid non-jittery models and floors, plus the fluid quality animation was a lot to take in all at once so early in the 32-bit generation. The sound and the fact that it played even better than the original maintained the special experience that stood apart from other games at the time.

It's still my favorite game in the series and both the gameplay and aesthetics never get old.
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

The Future Is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingRaging in the Streets SegataS's Avatar

Still pretty shocked this is a Saturn game. Games like this that make you just wonder what could have been if Saturn sold better with more devs on board.

Life!? ... What console is that on?

This is one of the few games on Saturn which I think would merit a "perfect" score, even if the backgrounds are flat and the combat engine is somewhat dated. The environments still look great, the floor texture looks amazing (no aliasing which plagued so many other 3-D fighters), and everything is in that super hi-res mode which still impresses me. Fighting is fun and fast (jumping aside), and all the different fighting styles really came together here to truly make each character feel distinct.

It was so visually impressive that I used to run that game for days and weeks using the watch mode as a screen saver. I love the overly loud sync music which demands attention, and I think the learning mode is worth some praise, too, even though you eventually get to a point where the AI learns to block pretty much every move other than throws. It's a real shame that the 3-pack could not push more Saturn sales given how amazing all three games were, particularly VF2.

Thread Information