Quantcast

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Collecting Goals - Genesis

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingSports Talker StandardDeluxe's Avatar

The last two expensive Japanese games I’d like to get are Battle Mania Daiginjō and Eliminate Down. Other than that, just Bare Knuckle 1 - 3 and the three Shinobi titles.

PAL Megadrive, just The Punisher and The Adventures of Batman and Robin. Blue Spines!!

Can’t think of anymore Genesis exclusives that I’m after.

Toejam is a wiener. Master of Shinobi SEGA-Jorge's Avatar

I still have quite a few games I want to get. I want to complete my Renovation set, and I want to keep looking for certain titles that I have yet to play. My only concern is how crazy the retro gaming market has become. It seems like it's only getting worse, and more often than not, I find that prices for games that were never held in high regard are suddenly demanding absurd prices.

I picked up Jennifer Capriati Tennis this weekend, just for the Renovation collection, and that was $8. No one cares about that game. I don't see why that sort of price is remotely reasonable.

I don't look forward to finding the rest of the Renovation games, as I'm missing are expensive titles, Arcus Odyssey and Y's III...

Though I've had my Mega Drive for 25 years, I've only been collecting for about 15 years. I don't have any particular goals with it other than the collecting should never stop. I had one goal a few years ago, getting a full PAL 32X set, which I did get eventually. I mostly buy old games on Expos these days, or new games via Kickstarter etc. But there are a few more games I'd like to add to my collection, usually I get them through eBay. I always buy my Mega Drive games CIB. The boxart and manual are a big part of a game's experience.
    New user who wants access to the forum? PM Melf!

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert ITViking's Avatar

My collecting goals & guidelines with regard to the Sega Genesis are pretty simple.

1) Collect what I like. I'm not a completionist.

2) Collect what I'm nostalgic for. I've learned a long time ago that if there's no nostalgia involved then I'm very likely to flip it anyways.

3) Where possible, collect the Canadian variants of games that I had back in the early 90's. Canadian variations often fall into this interesting blend between the US releases and Euro/Asian Mega Drive releases. For instance, having the Mega Drive version artwork on a label, but the 'Genesis' name (instead of 'Mega Drive').

Quote Originally Posted by SEGA-Jorge View Post
    I tend to find a lot to enjoy in the library. I move from one genre to another, looking for stuff that I might like, and it hasn't disappointed. Recently, I've been focusing on collecting more RPG's, and although I totally understand that the Genesis has less RPG's, there's an awful lot of fun RPG's to play. I don't think it was suffering from a lack of titles in that genre, as it's been so commonly suggested.

I tend to look at any genre in a vacuum. There were not a lot of people that owned more than 30-40 games on these consoles in their prime production years. As such, even SNES owners might have owned 20 or 30 games while they played it in its prime. Of those, maybe 10 were RPG's. You can pick 10 RPG's on either console, and have a really rich, enjoyable experience.

I've been playing Starflight recently, and although it's not an RPG in the most strict sense, it was great. (I guess it's more of a space sim, but I digress)

I keep finding enjoyable games to play on the console, so I keep getting titles for it. Now I need to track down Rings of Power... I'm not looking forward to how much I'll need to pay for that.
    Starflight looks like a lot of fun! Another space traveling rpg that doesn’t get enough love is Buck Rogers: Countdown to Doomsday.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert MushaAleste's Avatar

Lets see...

MUSHA usa, Battlemania Daiginjou, pepenga pengo, panorama cotton, contra hardcorps jpn, twinkle tale... those six carts i would still want. But since prices are so outrageous now it will forever stay a pipe dream. Lesson learned, you gotta pull the trigger on your fave carts sooner rather than later :D

Master of Shinobi Mega Drive Bowlsey's Avatar

I've been collecting Mega Drive games off and on since I was at school and Mega CD games for the last 16yrs or so. I'm very proud of my collection and only add CIB games to it. I initially only wanted to collect the games that I missed out on as a child, along with the games I love, but over time my collection has expanded to include games that I wasn't familiar with at all until I picked them up and played them. That's been the best part of collecting for me over the years, discovering Mega Drive games that are totally new to me and getting so much fun out of them.

VA1LT CHIP ENABLED Master of Shinobi OverDrone's Avatar

I only buy what I will play, and I have about a hundred MD/MCD titles. Thankfully I took care of many of the heavy hitters in the JP library within the first few years of starting up, and I have no regrets since the prices were stupid then but pants on head retarded now. I'm done with big-price 4th gen CIB purchases. I had some money for that sort of behaviour at that point, the scenario has changed though (real life).

Gleylancer and Eliminate Down are missing, I missed the recent re-release of the former and the latter hasn't been affordable for eight or ten years. Then there's key titles from the US library that I'd certainly still like to hook into, like the RPGs and a few exclusive action games, but I'm definitely satisfied with what I have and don't have the urge to start up again other than adding the odd must have (Xeno Crisis, for example).

More than enough to play for years.

I go after good cheap games usually, but I think I'm done adding to my collection library and will just enjoy via Mega Everdrive from now on.

Toejam is a wiener. Master of Shinobi SEGA-Jorge's Avatar

I was reading this article on Kotaku this morning. I can literally feel the 30 or so games on my "Seeking" list drifting further, and further away. These are literally, the worst kind of collectors to get involved in a hobby. Nice know you all.

Deep Pocketed Collectors are Fueling a Retro Game Goldrush
    https://kotaku.com/deep-pocketed-col...old-1837073847

AKA Mister Xiado Master of Shinobi Raijin Z's Avatar

>un-ironically reading Kotaku
    The collector/reseller plague has been known for over a decade to anyone who casually collects to acquire games they, you know, want to play and enjoy. All the more reason to go with flash carts, ODEs, mod chips, softmods, and everything else to take yourself out of the rat race that is classic game acquisition. By paying reseller prices, you incentivize those high prices. When no one will pay those prices, they will drop. They can only go as high as the market will bear, even if it's only trust fund hipsters trading games back and forth.
    - Where it's always 1992 (or so).
    Youtube - Terminated
    BitChute - Fragmented, but functional

That Kotaku article gets a point though, the situation has escalated like crazy the last couple of years, and it seems Wata Games has had a lot to do with it — and now we're getting the kind of collectors who're looking to hoard absolutely anything from a given era rather than just games, so they don't really care about them as games but rather as artifacts.

For what's worth it on the flipside, a Nintendo World Championship cartridge just got sold for $13,000 (and it was a serial number that had gone missing until now, so um yeah, rare)… and the seller originally tried to sell it for $20 because he thought it was just another random cartridge (he was trying to get rid of a bunch of NES cartridges). The clerks were baffled at what he was trying to do and he was baffled at the $13,000 offer…
    https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2019/...-safeway-sack/

EDIT: I need to learn grammar :​v

Master of Shinobi Mega Drive Bowlsey's Avatar

The morons featured in that Kotaku article sum up everything that is wrong with some 'collectors'. They don't even seem to give a shit about whatever it is they're supposed to be collecting, they just have to have it because it's 'super dooper rare and other people want it but they can't have it because I've just dropped $3000 on it even though I will never play the damn thing haha'. I'm just glad the classless arse candles are focusing on Nintendo minty rare bollocks and not Sega games. Judging by the look of them they probably aren't even aware of Sega. "Sega? What's that? Is it a Nintendo game? Is it rare? Where can I buy it?" (reaches for credit card)

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingSports Talker

Quote Originally Posted by Sik View Post
    That Kotaku article gets a point though, the situation has escalated like crazy the last couple of years, and it seems Wata Games has had a lot to do with it

Wata Games definitely has a lot to do with it. Heritage Auctions and Gocollect.com as well. These companies and the people involved with them are actively pushing video games to be the next "big thing" in collectibles. Just look at the sticker sealed Super Mario Bros. that sold in February. Kinda shady. I guess it's working.

Has anyone else noticed what a "retail version"(not "Not for Resale") version of Sonic the Hedgehog is selling for on ebay. It's very stupid. Hopefully a temporary thing.

You know, decided to look up this again:
    https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2019/...ld-for-100000/

Earlier this year they were speculating that it's only a matter of time before we reach a $1,000,000 game. And now that I'm rereading, the article mentions Wata Games and Heritage Auctions (which back then I didn't even know who they were)… Yeah fuck it, it's these guys literally telling people to try to inflate prices as hard as possible. And everybody else is getting caught in the crossfire. Fuck that shit.

On the flipside, it's making those $70 homebrew carts starting to look cheap in comparison :​v Maybe it'll get to the point where buying homebrew is cheaper than older games! (especially if we crack down how to lower the manufacturing and shipping costs)

Thread Information