Quantcast

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Collecting Goals - Genesis

Raging in the Streets xelement5x's Avatar

I love Sega stuff so my overall goals for collecting are just Sega oriented. I'd love to finish a complete Genesis set but games like Outback Joey make it pretty much a pipe dream at this point, there's no way I could afford to purchase that outright unless I won the lottery or something. I have a large number of Genesis titles already but have never actively inventoried it all, maybe someday but I feel like giving myself a destination like that could be pretty bad for my pocketbook.
    Quote Originally Posted by StarMist View Post
    A spine card is the hymen of a new game assuring its first owner that he is truly her one and only, and of a used game assuring its new owner that whilst she has been played with in the past that play has never been too careless or thorough.

Toejam is a wiener. Master of Shinobi SEGA-Jorge's Avatar

I recently commented on how I'd be hard-pressed to buy an Arcus Odyssey. Well I found one this weekend, so that was nice. I was at a retro gaming convention, and it was just mind boggling how much some of these games were going for. No joke, games like Punisher, Musha, and Crusader of Centy going for 350 - 500 complete. This is just getting absurd.

Extreme Procrastinator Master of Shinobi Flygon's Avatar

I've mostly just been buying up homebrew games.

The expense of buying a used copy of an old game doesn't feel all that worthwhile to me.
    A lot of the mystique disappears when you consider that all you're really buying is a Mask ROM on a board. And that the original developers don't get a single cent of your purchase.
    The latter point does make me feel sad.

So, I've stopped buying old copies of old games, really.
    Unless they're particularly cheap.

It would be really nice if someone could licence and manufacture good quality boards of old software again, everything necessary exists.
    I would absolutely love to see new runs of some classic games, such as MUSHA, and Crusader of Centy.
    There is reproductions out there, but they don't have the licence, and I distrust the manufacturing quality of many examples.

And making my own copies doesn't have that nice licenced feel to it.

I mean, it's not like having a license guarantees manufacturing quality either *looks at Gley Lancer*

I'm absolutely considering making my own high-quality repros. I just need to invest in the initial set up.

Extreme Procrastinator Master of Shinobi Flygon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sik View Post
    I mean, it's not like having a license guarantees manufacturing quality either *looks at Gley Lancer*
    That's the tricky bit - everyone that seems to get the licencing for this stuff also seems to go for the shittiest quality possible.

Raging in the Streets xelement5x's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Flygon View Post
    That's the tricky bit - everyone that seems to get the licencing for this stuff also seems to go for the shittiest quality possible.
    That's how cash-ins work. You do the least work possible to make the most money. Fans are an afterthought and they can complain all they want but they'll still buy it :'(
    Quote Originally Posted by StarMist View Post
    A spine card is the hymen of a new game assuring its first owner that he is truly her one and only, and of a used game assuring its new owner that whilst she has been played with in the past that play has never been too careless or thorough.

Quote Originally Posted by SEGA-Jorge View Post
    I recently commented on how I'd be hard-pressed to buy an Arcus Odyssey. Well I found one this weekend, so that was nice. I was at a retro gaming convention, and it was just mind boggling how much some of these games were going for. No joke, games like Punisher, Musha, and Crusader of Centy going for 350 - 500 complete. This is just getting absurd.
    Congrats on scoring an Arcus Odyssey! It's a cool game.
    Sega Dude

Visit my Instagram @RetroMegabit or RetroMegabit.com

Quote Originally Posted by thesegadude View Post
    Congrats on scoring an Arcus Odyssey! It's a cool game.
    Yeah, I like it. I got it cart only. The examples of it complete were in the realm of $70 - $90. That's just too much. Anyway, I enjoy it, I'm happy I found it. I picked up a copy of Gods as well, and I have been playing the hell out of it. I really like that game.

Nameless One

Grew up on a Master System so eventually followed on with a MegaDrive, enjoy many games on the library and going for a full PAL set. Pick up Genesis exclusives where they pop up if the price is right.

I'm at 333 games at the moment, missing a couple big hitters value wise, otherwise just slowly working away at it. Trying to make a point this year though of playing whatever games I buy. I personally hate sports games and don't like paying for them so only try to pick them up for near nothing.

I generally buy all the new releases where possible as well (eg. those by RushOnGame/PixelHeart etc).

Currently looking for the SFT clam-shell release of Legend of Wukong.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingSports Talker Eazy's Avatar

Don't bother trying to grab a whole lot of sports games unless it's the known good ones. After a while youll mostly end up with a pile of crap that you can't sell unless its for a dollar each.

Finally got a copy of Phantasy Star IV. I was really happy to get that off my list! What a great game!

Finally got a copy of Phantasy Star IV. I was really happy to get that off my list! What a great game!
    Ah, well done!

I think a lot of people feel IV is the definitive Phantasy Star but personally I give that title to Phantasy Star 1.
    Although IV is amazing and both should be played.

Are you going to give it a go? Maybe you already played it back in the day?
    Sega Dude

I started it last night, and I'm really liking it so far. I've made it a goal to focus on both finding the last of the games I want for my collection, and playing more of the titles I enjoy. I'm definitely going to play PSIV though. I think it's too good to pass up.

I started it last night, and I'm really liking it so far. I've made it a goal to focus on both finding the last of the games I want for my collection, and playing more of the titles I enjoy. I'm definitely going to play PSIV though. I think it's too good to pass up.
    Awesome. I love hearing that

Phantasy Star IV was the last Genesis game I bought retail off the shelf while the system was current. I was a student then and I remembering wondering if I should be dropping $50 on it. I did, but I never beat it until many years later when I got back into the Genesis.
    Sega Dude

Thread Information