Quantcast

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Collecting Goals - Genesis

No goals for me. Aside to hang on to everything I had as a kid.
    I have about 20 games from when I was a kid that I would hate to loose. A few years ago I had close to 200 games. Some trash I never played but some good ones like Hyperstone Heist, Sunset Riders, Contra Hardcorps, etc. I let them go and I sorta want them back but they are pretty pricey.
    So I guess if I had to pin down a goal it would be pickup games I really want to own. If I won't play it I don't need it.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training

...I think my collecting goals are pretty simple, I just want to build the Genesis library that I always wanted (I'm a CIB stickler though) to play. I've had my original MK1 since '89 or so and only had 8-games or so that I actually owned, w/the rest being rented or borrowed. I picked up a few more over the years I came across them, but sidelined my library building for the Genesis w/other platforms as I looked for a way to get a solid picture on a modern tv. Well enter the Analogue Mega SG and that problem now has a solution. Funny thing is I now have another problem, pretty much everything has skyrocketed in value, yay me! Anyways, w/the blessing of a very patient wife I've gotten back into the Genesis hunt. I've picked up a few solid games since May and even was a gifted a Sega CD and another MK1 so I think I'm doing alright for some returning to the party late

I love to get Slap Fight . I remember The Panzer Dragon Zwei team saying it was an office fav when making Panzer II . It was hard back then and now the price is insane
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

Toejam is a wiener. Master of Shinobi SEGA-Jorge's Avatar

I finally got a copy of Toki: Going Ape Spit, and Sorcerer's Kingdom. I also found a CIB copy of Altered Beast with a cart that was not covered in that weird Altered Beast black splotchy phenomenon. That is nice. My copy of AB is a launch copy that was packed with my console, it's nice to finally have a spare. I love that game. I'm slowly grabbing up the games on my list, and closing in on my collection goals. Still have to track down Raiden Trad, Vapor Trail, Mazin Saga (good luck on that...) And a few other stragglers.

Rebel scum Shining Hero MrMatthews's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lync View Post
    The only consoles I do not own, or want to own, CIB for has been NES, SNES, N64, and Jaguar.

Which reminds me of one other rule of mine that I completely forgot to mention:

NO CARDBOARD BOXES. NO CARDBOARD BOXES, EVER!!!

I really hate cardboard boxes. Every Genesis or 32X game I own that came in cardboard, I've put together a clamshell for.
    I agree with this. The only exception for me is the Bubsy “shoebox,” which I think is pretty neat. I feel fortunate to have a pretty minty Sonic & Knuckles box, but my other cardboard boxed games are embarrassingly ratty. I’ve replaced a few of them with some custom clamshell cases, but I also don’t feel great about replacing legitimate packaging with reproduction packaging...

Toejam is a wiener. Master of Shinobi SEGA-Jorge's Avatar

I think that CIB prices are so outrageous at this point that I just get the games however I find them. I will grab loose boxes, sleeves, and books as I come across them. I don't like that the vast majority of my collection is cart only, but I'm happy I have the games I have been fortunate enough to find.

There is a list of games I found loose, that I am actively looking to complete, and that kinda becomes a secondary collection goal.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher

Quote Originally Posted by MrMatthews View Post
    I agree with this. The only exception for me is the Bubsy “shoebox,” which I think is pretty neat. I feel fortunate to have a pretty minty Sonic & Knuckles box, but my other cardboard boxed games are embarrassingly ratty. I’ve replaced a few of them with some custom clamshell cases, but I also don’t feel great about replacing legitimate packaging with reproduction packaging...
    Spoken like a true gentleman. The trading cards were a nice touch too. I also think everyone should have the X-Perts box in their collection.

Gumbious Priest Road Rasher Raja's Avatar

I have a complete NA Sega Genesis set. I know many are upset at collectors but I got the vast majority of my games in the early 2000s when I was living at college/home and had no bills. I probably had roughly 500 or so games by 2004. Including some of those that are now considered expensive. The only games I had to spend any amount of money on were Crusader of Centy and Grind Stormer. Centy I jsut couldn't find anywhere locally. And Grind Stormer was almost always broken for some reason. I actually bought a lot of 120 games, mostly sports games a few years ago for like $80. All are CIB and in good condition. The worst looking game in my collection is Stormlord. Ive had a hard time finding that in pristine condition. Probably never will.

I also have most of the variant covers but only because someone here made a sweet post about all the variants and I felt like it'd be nice to have them.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One Aleste's Avatar

I'm roughly at 250 between all regions and I'm near saturation point. If all titles had kept a reasonable price of say max $100 each, I could see myself adding another thirty or so but hardly more than that.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingSports Talker

Pretty new here , but my goal is to get most consoles brand new unused

SO far i have

Sega Saturn NTSC - brand new boxed
    Sega mega drive 2 - Brand new boxed ( HK-PAL)
    Game Gear - Boxed in VGC , just recapped

Now looking for a dreamcast new ( unsealed)

For my personal collection I've been buying up as many of the Genesis games that I loved back in the day. I'm not sure how/why I got rid of so many of them, but I"m definitely regretting it now with the surge in prices. I'm also kind of concentrating on picking up games that I never got around to playing when I was younger. I think the most expensive one I purchased was a CIB Crusader of Centy earlier this year. I immediately bought a repro box just so I can put the the cardboard box in a protective sleeve. Other than that I hesitate spending much more than $40-50 for a game unless it's a "must have" that I"m gonna play. Other than that I have most of my personal favorites already just from trading: Castlevania, Hyperstone Heist, Punisher, and Streets of Rage 3 (for some reason that was hard to find locally).
    Toys: PS4 Pro, PS3 Slim 250GB,PSVita, Xbox, Gamecube, Dreamcast, Saturn, JVC X'Eye, NES, SNES, Neo Geo, Turbo Duo R, PS1

Movie Setup: Vizio M65, Fluance ES 5.1, Definitive Technology SC 4000, Sony STR-DN840, Apple TV 4k, Synology DS413j with 12TB of media.

I'm at 76% of the (CIB)PAL Megadrive set, so a complete PAL set would be a goal. Although I won't (try to) pay these ridiculous prices some sellers asked for "rare" games. I really like the Japanese artworks, so I buy those that I like. And I buy NTSC-exclusive games, that doesn't have a PAL release.
    Also I love finding variants of the same game with missing or added parts. For instance the Revenge of Shinobi Revisions or the Japanese Shadow of the Beast vs the EU/US-version.
    Last edited by sjorspion; 11-03-2019 at 03:37 PM.
    SEEEEEGGGGAAAA!!!

Stuck in the Past Shining Hero The Jackal's Avatar

I only buy games I have an interest in. Only way I'll buy a game I think is garbage is if I have nostalgia for them, like Taz 1 or Mighty Max, otherwise I'll pass. The artificial price hikes of late has also put a dampener on my collecting tbh.
    Last edited by The Jackal; 11-04-2019 at 09:05 AM.

Click image above for my Youtube channel.

Death Adder's minion

I have 387 Genesis/Mega Drive games across all regions, almost all of which are CIB (just missing the cart for the Korean version of Sonic Classics). For the most part my Genesis collecting has come to a halt; I pretty much only go out of my way to purchase homebrew titles and English translations of games that haven't been localized before. There may be a few titles that I don't own yet that I might enjoy, but since I can't think of any off the top of my head I must not want them that badly.

I've shifted my collecting focus toward the Master System/Mark III and the SG-1000, primarily because I have no history with either system and I find their libraries intriguing.

Quote Originally Posted by The Jackal View Post
    I only buy games I have an interest in. Only way I'll buy a game I think is garbage is if I have nostalgia for them, like Taz 1 or Mighty Max, otherwise I'll pass. The artificial price hikes of late has also put a dampener on my collecting tbh.
    This was my method, except now that I have a Mega Everdrive I don't participate in the collectard market anymore.

Thread Information