Quantcast

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Saturn Repros

It's kind of sad that the repro sellers are using someone else's free work to make a profit, but worse yet that the original translators of a Japanese-only game can't profit off of their own work period. What I would do honestly is start shopping the free translations around to the original companies and see if they'll package it into an emulator or something into a Steam release for cash if that is really the way that you feel. It's all such a gray legal area that it's hard to say who's in the wrong here, because if it wasn't simply for fun the fan translations would be just as illegal as well, arguably still so due to the fact that you're undercutting the copyright-holder's ability to translate the game far down the line and release it and make money. So who is right?

Certainly doesn't warrant that visceral reaction from the fantranslator though.
    Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    The Sega Saturn was God's gift to humanity. This is inarguable fact!
    Quote Originally Posted by llj View Post
    Count me as someone who never liked the Turbo/Hyper Fighting iterations of Street Fighter 2. The speed ups always struck me as too "Benny Hill".

Feedback Thread: http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...ack&highlight=

Raging in the Streets Yharnamresident's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Virtua Hunter View Post
    The fact that many repros need a modded Saturn even to start, let me think that they are just burned with a normal PC drive with no special tools.
    Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    It's kind of sad that the repro sellers are using someone else's free work to make a profit, but worse yet that the original translators of a Japanese-only game can't profit off of their own work period. What I would do honestly is start shopping the free translations around to the original companies and see if they'll package it into an emulator or something into a Steam release for cash if that is really the way that you feel. It's all such a gray legal area that it's hard to say who's in the wrong here, because if it wasn't simply for fun the fan translations would be just as illegal as well, arguably still so due to the fact that you're undercutting the copyright-holder's ability to translate the game far down the line and release it and make money. So who is right?

Certainly doesn't warrant that visceral reaction from the fantranslator though.
    I think it would be fine if the repro creators gave the translators credit, say on the sale page they wrote, "this repro uses a translation created by xyzxx. This is their website: www.xyzxx.com"

These repro creators aren't as shady as everyone thinks, like a lot of them refuse to sell repros that don't have "REPRO" written on the disc and case.
    Certified F-Zero GX fanboy

Thread Information