Quantcast

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Saturn Repros

Default Saturn Repros

https://www.etsy.com/listing/6602000...ng_top-3&frs=1

Anyone purchased from this company before? I thought the prices was extremely low until I saw the other options. I'm probably going to buy a Pseudo Saturn soon. And I do own some of these games already but it would be nice to play some in English.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoltor View Post
    Japan on the other hand is in real danger, if Japanese men don't start liking to play with their woman, more then them selves, experts calculated the Japanese will be extinct within 300 years.

Mega Driven Raging in the Streets cleeg's Avatar

What's a pseudo Saturn?

AKA Mister Xiado Master of Shinobi Raijin Z's Avatar

Pseudo Saturn is a firmware modification for Action Replay cartridges for Saturn, that functions similar to a mod chip. You can play burned games with such a cartridge.

The translation package being sold is $10, which is a fair price for the effort of printing the case inserts and manual, as well as putting everything together.
    - Where it's always 1992 (or so).
    Youtube - Terminated
    BitChute - Fragmented, but functional

Quote Originally Posted by Da_Shocker View Post
    https://www.etsy.com/listing/6602000...ng_top-3&frs=1

Anyone purchased from this company before? I thought the prices was extremely low until I saw the other options. I'm probably going to buy a Pseudo Saturn soon. And I do own some of these games already but it would be nice to play some in English.
    So there's been some recent drama from this sale in particular:
    http://aishsha.blogspot.com/2019/05/...ness-shit.html

Basically it's being sold and using the work of the Translation Patch maker, without giving them credit or anything. They even are using his Manual Translation. We recently had an issue on SegaXtreme as well where people were selling homebrew things such as vbt's Port of Wolfenstein 3D as well as Another World as repro's of rare prototypes. It caused a lot of tension as it was people's homebrew software being sold without their knowledge or permission, and people buying them thought they were old prototypes from the 90's that were never released.

tl;dr, I wouldn't buy those kind of repros. Just burn your own disc.

The only ones I've seen that to me seem good enough quality and so far don't seem to be doing dick moves like those others are the ones this guy makes:
    https://www.facebook.com/SegaSaturnDave/

Raging in the Streets Yharnamresident's Avatar

I'm still getting a mod chip for my Saturn. It seems a more firm and long-term solution than that Pseudo Saturn.

Also if you ask me, theres nothing wrong with getting repros. Its not fair that purchasing 1 Japanese shoot-em-up on eBay will cost you as much as a brand new PS4.
    Certified F-Zero GX fanboy

Quote Originally Posted by Yharnamresident View Post
    I'm still getting a mod chip for my Saturn. It seems a more firm and long-term solution than that Pseudo Saturn.

Also if you ask me, theres nothing wrong with getting repros. Its not fair that purchasing 1 Japanese shoot-em-up on eBay will cost you as much as a brand new PS4.
    I mean at that point you may as well just burn your own copy.

Quote Originally Posted by TrekkiesUnite118 View Post
    I mean at that point you may as well just burn your own copy.
    But you'll end up with a CD-R that has the game name written on it with a sharpie, wheres the novelty in that?

Also I assume the people creating these repros actually have the proper equipment, similar to people who create Dreamcast homebrew games. If they're just using computer CD drives to burn the games then its not worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by TrekkiesUnite118 View Post
    So there's been some recent drama from this sale in particular:
    http://aishsha.blogspot.com/2019/05/...ness-shit.html

Basically it's being sold and using the work of the Translation Patch maker, without giving them credit or anything. They even are using his Manual Translation. We recently had an issue on SegaXtreme as well where people were selling homebrew things such as vbt's Port of Wolfenstein 3D as well as Another World as repro's of rare prototypes. It caused a lot of tension as it was people's homebrew software being sold without their knowledge or permission, and people buying them thought they were old prototypes from the 90's that were never released.

tl;dr, I wouldn't buy those kind of repros. Just burn your own disc.

The only ones I've seen that to me seem good enough quality and so far don't seem to be doing dick moves like those others are the ones this guy makes:
    https://www.facebook.com/SegaSaturnDave/
    Thanks for the link. I know I could burn them but I have a bunch of PCE games burned and while they are easy to do something about a more professional look really gets me going. On one hand your guy has the real US looking stuff on the other hand that shit takes up SOOOOOO much space.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoltor View Post
    Japan on the other hand is in real danger, if Japanese men don't start liking to play with their woman, more then them selves, experts calculated the Japanese will be extinct within 300 years.

I still got a huge batch of burned PS1 games that I received a decade ago, and they're hideous. CD-Rs with the game name written on them with a sharpie is not aesthetic. So thats the appeal of these repros.

AKA Mister Xiado Master of Shinobi Raijin Z's Avatar

Imagine not having a Lightscribe drive. The only real long term solution is an ODE. All laser diodes have a finite operational lifespan, and it is dismally short in consumer devices. I've resurrected a few systems by replacing their laser assemblies, but spare parts aren't common or eternal. They only delay the inevitable.
    - Where it's always 1992 (or so).
    Youtube - Terminated
    BitChute - Fragmented, but functional

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert Virtua Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Yharnamresident View Post
    But you'll end up with a CD-R that has the game name written on it with a sharpie, wheres the novelty in that?

Also I assume the people creating these repros actually have the proper equipment, similar to people who create Dreamcast homebrew games. If they're just using computer CD drives to burn the games then its not worth it.
    The fact that many repros need a modded Saturn even to start, let me think that they are just burned with a normal PC drive with no special tools.

Quote Originally Posted by Virtua Hunter View Post
    The fact that many repros need a modded Saturn even to start, let me think that they are just burned with a normal PC drive with no special tools.
    Yeah, I'm guessing if anything they are maybe getting a good label printed on a blank CD-R, and then burning to that disc. I highly doubt they have access to a proper CD mastering facility in which they are having these discs pressed for them.

Raging in the Streets xelement5x's Avatar

Yeah, this is pretty much endemic in every console with fan hack/translations. The PCE scene was also really burnt by it and a number of people stopped/quit projects (thanks Tobias). Repro sellers say they are doing it "for the love of it" but we really know that except for a few it's mainly for the CASH.
    Quote Originally Posted by StarMist View Post
    A spine card is the hymen of a new game assuring its first owner that he is truly her one and only, and of a used game assuring its new owner that whilst she has been played with in the past that play has never been too careless or thorough.

Quote Originally Posted by Virtua Hunter View Post
    I don't think anyone has ever figured out how to create discs that a system's copy protection will accept. They've done it with cartridge-based systems but thats a much different situation.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingSports Talker StandardDeluxe's Avatar

I have a Pseudo Saturn cart for sale if anyone’s interested...

Thread Information