Quantcast

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: What prevents the Dreamcast from being my favourite console

Sports Talker

Quote Originally Posted by Virtua Hunter View Post
    I think it's a long was until cartridges and discs will become useless, so it's a bit extreme in my opinion to go already for things like GDemu etc.
    Not sure how long off it would be, probably depends on exposure, use, contaminants etc. I'd imagine given some carts are reaching 40 years of age we would start seeing some bit-rot etc.

It's like classic cars, eventually every original parts will fails and become hard to find, but that's not a good reason to transform a classic car in a frankenstein. In fact for classic cars there are many shops who build new custom spare parts.

I don't know why gaming communities can't organize to do the same, to preserve original functionality of consoles.
    Difference with a classic car is there's a market because of their value, where's the console that's worth $100k and therefore worth investing in some money to keep the parts alive? The demographic that affords it is very different.

Would be great to see a drive replacement to keep the originality.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert StuOhQ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by xelement5x View Post
    The light of light gun in the US was supposedly canned because one of the most shocking school shootings in US history up to that point (Columbine) had happened less than 6 months before launch. Video games were already getting bad press and they didn't want to risk backlash over it. Looking back it's sad now that people are still using games as a scapegoat.
    Tell me about it. And House of the Dead 2 sorely needs a lightgun. 2&3 on the Wii doesn't quite cut it.

Retro Tech Select - YouTube channel covering throwback consumer electronics with a focus on "vid'ya games."
    Newest Video: More than Just a Genesis? Analogue Mega SG Review

Raging in the Streets Yharnamresident's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    The GPU was designed by former members of SGI, at ArtX. AMD bought out a majority share of the company's stock, right before the GC was released. Nintendo was obviously funding ArtX, making for reduced product pricing for them. The GC is an elegantly designed console, that doesn't use expensive hardware to get the job done. Nintendo has always done it that way, and as such, they run a much tighter ship then all of the other companies in the video game market. They know how to get the most bang for the buck than any of those other companies.
    Yes internally the GameCube is very well designed, but purple lunchbox?

Quote Originally Posted by Team Andromeda View Post
    The late GREAT Mr Iaso was SEGA to the core , Sega was never the same after his death .... The man was a SEGA GOD
    Adam Koralik said that Sega as a company died with Okawa, I feel he is right

But I still agree with Yoot Saito, Sega miscalulate the profit point with DC, using expensive parts on one side and cheap components on the other and still they had to sell 2 games per console to profit...surely they could have done a better job in this regard, to reach profitability more easly with a good hardware and with durable components, like Nintendo did with Gamecube.
    2 games per console is a very good ratio, imagine how many Dreamcast owners bought 2 games.

Nintendo goes overboard with making their hardware cheap as possible to produce. Like what happen GameCube component cables was a catastrophe disaster, because they tried to save some money.
    Certified F-Zero GX fanboy

Raging in the Streets Team Andromeda's Avatar

But I still agree with Yoot Saito, Sega miscalulate the profit point with DC, using expensive parts on one side and cheap components on the other and still they had to sell 2 games per console to profit...surely they could have done a better job in this regard, to reach profitability more easly with a good hardware and with durable components, like Nintendo did with Gamecube.
    I don't think SEGA miscalculated really. The DC was a great system and SEGA were really developing amazing games and should have expected better software sales, but Dreamcast software sales were poor when you consider the quality of them.
    I mean Skies Of Arcadia is one of the amazing RPG's ever made, but even in Japan the sales were poor.
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

The Future Is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingRaging in the Streets SegataS's Avatar

Not like PS2 phat use that great of parts either. The laser had issues and those phat PS2's had a tendency to fail. Also only had 2 controller ports. Yeah, the DVD thing and the brand name carried it out of the gate. I don't care about DVD playback even then but I still wish DC had a DVD drive so it would use discs with a larger capacity. Xbox had PSU problems. They issued that new power cord they sent to users who requested it. Gamecube is/was that Nokia meme. Thing is a tank. People have burned it. Dropped it from a high distance and hit with sledgehammers on video and it still turned on.

Life!? ... What console is that on?

Raging in the Streets Team Andromeda's Avatar

The PS and PS 2 lens were crap , the XBox Thomson drives were rubbish too
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

Thread Information