Quantcast

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What prevents the Dreamcast from being my favourite console

Sports Talker

Like the DC, but the laser issue now is making it a paper weight. Makes it too problematic to bother with.

I understand you can modify it to have a SD card (GDEMU?) and run the games that way, so for a playing console in future I'd give this modification a crack. Haven't looked for replacement lasers for a while but doubt it's progressed anywhere?

Raging in the Streets xelement5x's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Team Andromeda View Post
    SEGA did in Europe, but I guess with cash low and various court actions against gaming corps, SOA didn't want to risk any by brining out its official light gun in the USA. Shame too as the Gun is the best light gun ever, it looks super cool, the D-Pad at the back a touch of genius and I loved how you could put in the Rumble back in the unit for recoil.
    The light of light gun in the US was supposedly canned because one of the most shocking school shootings in US history up to that point (Columbine) had happened less than 6 months before launch. Video games were already getting bad press and they didn't want to risk backlash over it. Looking back it's sad now that people are still using games as a scapegoat.
    Quote Originally Posted by StarMist View Post
    A spine card is the hymen of a new game assuring its first owner that he is truly her one and only, and of a used game assuring its new owner that whilst she has been played with in the past that play has never been too careless or thorough.

Raging in the Streets Team Andromeda's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SegataS View Post
    MDK2 on Dreamcast I hated for the controls. That game needed a second analog stick if I remember right.
    The controls were fine in that. What with using the Y button to go forward, A backwards and the Analogue pad to aim, That's how I used to play Duke on the 3D Pad on the Saturn and much like the controls I used for GoldenEye. The lack of a 2nd Analogue pad was a pain for games like Shenmue mind and the DC pad, really should have had six face buttons, if nothing else.
    Last edited by Team Andromeda; 08-13-2019 at 03:10 AM.
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

Quote Originally Posted by xelement5x View Post
    The light of light gun in the US was supposedly canned because one of the most shocking school shootings in US history up to that point (Columbine) had happened less than 6 months before launch. Video games were already getting bad press and they didn't want to risk backlash over it. Looking back it's sad now that people are still using games as a scapegoat.
    Yeah, I seem to remember id (makers of Doom) and the publisher facing court actions over such mass shootings. It's sad really, since the light gun was if anything, the best one ever made, but I can understand why SEGA America didn't want to risk it, given their limited funds.
    Video games being blamed is nothing new and a pathetic scapegoat; I remember video games being blamed for the Virginia Tech shootings, rather than the USA insane need for automatic guns (and well Guns in general) I also feel the same for 80's horror films (which were labelled video nasties in the UK) and blamed
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

The Future Is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingRaging in the Streets SegataS's Avatar

I got one of these for my DC

Life!? ... What console is that on?

I went for the official model myself.

It was also a mad and expensive month at the import shop, with House of the Dead II, Super Speed Racing, Marvel vs. Capcom and Blue Stinger all coming out at more or less the same week.
    What a great and expensive gaming month that was
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

I have both of those light guns. Neither one of them works with Confidential Mission.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Strange I have the Pal version and it works floorless with the Official SEGA DC Gun.

Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

I hope it does have a floor. ;p

I've heard that these guns work fine with some sets and not very well with others. I really need to look into fixing my good old 1995 Trinitron.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingSports Talker Virtua Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by shifted View Post
    Like the DC, but the laser issue now is making it a paper weight. Makes it too problematic to bother with.

I understand you can modify it to have a SD card (GDEMU?) and run the games that way, so for a playing console in future I'd give this modification a crack. Haven't looked for replacement lasers for a while but doubt it's progressed anywhere?
    Unfortunately no progress, GDEMU and co. just killed any chance to have new replacement lasers, since community seems happy that way.
    And those mods are also reducing the number of original DC on the market, since now ebay is full of ugly modded DC.

In my opinion, the real deal is having a working console at 100% in every part, and mantaining it original and working for the longest time possible, otherwise what's the point?

If you want piracy just go to emulation without destroying classic rare hardware, that's what I hate about the current Dreamcast community.

Sports Talker

Quote Originally Posted by Virtua Hunter View Post
    Unfortunately no progress, GDEMU and co. just killed any chance to have new replacement lasers, since community seems happy that way.
    And those mods are also reducing the number of original DC on the market, since now ebay is full of ugly modded DC.

In my opinion, the real deal is having a working console at 100% in every part, and mantaining it original and working for the longest time possible, otherwise what's the point?

If you want piracy just go to emulation without destroying classic rare hardware, that's what I hate about the current Dreamcast community.
    That's sad, I was hoping there was some progress to get a replacement laser.

All 3 of my current consoles are paperweights, I tried adjusting the little screw for hours on each one and got nowhere, it's cactus. Thing is, buying a second hand-one is like a time bomb as it is - you just don't know when it's going to go.

It's a shame, but I suppose at some point our cartridges and discs will degrade anyway and become useless, which makes me question whether it's worth paying the prices now if it all ends up unusable at some point and would it drop in value then? Will will see complete in box games for sale with unusable CDs and cartridges in mass?

Raging in the Streets Yharnamresident's Avatar

But the most disappointing for all ... was to release SEGA Rally II in such a rushed and unfinished state; That game needed to be the showcase for the system, show off the GFX of the DC (Model 3 Step 2 perfection), show off the online side of the DC with Online play, internet rankings and being able to download and upload ghost times and replays Ect (the kind of options one saw in VO II and Buggy Heat) To get SEGA's driving crown back from SONY Instead, we got a lovely game, but one that could and should have been so much better, to make matters worse SEGA GT wasn't really any better.
    They used Windows CE to port a flagship game series to the Dreamcast. Imagine the graphics it could've had if they created a completely new game engine for the port.

That for me was the big issue on the DC SEGA wise. SEGA never made Football game like WWS 98 on the Saturn, or an In-House racing game that could touch SEGA Rally and not having Camelot make a new Shining game or letting Lobotomy gone down was BIG mistakes for me
    Ahem, this is an international forum, write it this way: Football(soccer) game.

The controls were fine in that. What with using the Y button to go forward, A backwards and the Analogue pad to aim, That's how I used to play Duke on the 3D Pad on the Saturn and much like the controls I used for GoldenEye. The lack of a 2nd Analogue pad was a pain for games like Shenmue mind and the DC pad, really should have had six face buttons, if nothing else.
    Yes Shenmue should've had GTA III controls in terms of using the analog sticks.

Quote Originally Posted by Virtua Hunter View Post

Its not as bad as you think, the average gamer has no interest in modding consoles.

Hell I'm planning to get a mod chip for my Saturn, and if I ever wanted to remove it, I'd just have to unsolder 1 cord.
    Certified F-Zero GX fanboy

Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post

I've heard that these guns work fine with some sets and not very well with others. I really need to look into fixing my good old 1995 Trinitron.
    Well over the years, I've played my copy on Hitachi, Phillips, SONY CRT sets and even a cheap Bush set and the lightgun works fine.
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Quote Originally Posted by Yharnamresident View Post
    They used Windows CE to port a flagship game series to the Dreamcast. Imagine the graphics it could've had if they created a completely new game engine for the port.
    There was an interview with Smilebit and they said they didn't just use CE to help with porting over the PC code, but because at the time SEGA official development kits internet code wasn't finished and the Isao servers weren't ready and using Win CE helped with the online side of things (the Japanese version had support for online player). Really the game just needed to be delayed and it should have been a showcase for the system. At the time Rally and Driving games were doing really well in Europe and one can only think how well a Dreamcast Rally II would have sold (and sold the system) with Arcade Perfect Model 3 step2 visuals, all the DC extra's and full Head to Head online play and the options to upload and download times, replays and full Internet rankings Ect ...

Ahem, this is an international forum, write it this way: Football(soccer) game
    Ahem, Sorry we're British and to use and most people around the world, Soccer is Football (the clue is in the name) and also to us British Baseball is Rounders LOL. Jokes aside. SEGA had grown Victory Goal/WWS into class football series, with amazing visuals. Really SEGA Japan should have the Saturn WWS team working on a direct sequel and look to have worked with Genki/AV on using the Virtual Striker 2 code base, to produce a stunning looking and playing footy game. Virtual Striker 2 GFX was simply amazing at the time.

This could have been another DC title to help the system out in Europe.

Yes Shenmue should've had GTA III controls in terms of using the analog sticks.
    Yes and it also hurt a few other games. But really six face buttons should have been on the controller.

People can say this and that with SEGA. But I like to think of practical measures SEGA could have done with its limited funds; Rally II should have been a showcase, The WWS team should have been tasked with making a visually stunning looking and great playing game and SEGA should have stepped in when Lombtomy were having cash flow issues, and even bought them outright, bought shares or given them the Half Life port. A Lobotomy made Half Life port on the DC, could have been a really system showcase and also help the system for sales ...
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Raging in the Streets Yharnamresident's Avatar

There was an interview with Smilebit and they said they didn't just use CE to help with porting over the PC code, but because at the time SEGA official development kits internet code wasn't finished and the Isao servers weren't ready and using Win CE helped with the online side of things (the Japanese version had support for online player). Really the game just needed to be delayed and it should have been a showcase for the system. At the time Rally and Driving games were doing really well in Europe and one can only think how well a Dreamcast Rally II would have sold (and sold the system) with Arcade Perfect Model 3 step2 visuals, all the DC extra's and full Head to Head online play and the options to upload and download times, replays and full Internet rankings Ect ...
    I never owned a Dreamcast back in the day, the only game I knew it had was Crazy Taxi, and thats a game I've never given a shit about and still don't give a shit about.

If they had a Sega Rally 2 port with very impressive graphics and decent marketing(so I actually know the game exists), I would've begged for a Dreamcast. I was playing Gran Turismo 2 at the time and spent tons of time in the rally races in it.

Ahem, Sorry we're British and to use and most people around the world, Soccer is Football (the clue is in the name) and also to us British Baseball is Rounders LOL. Jokes aside. SEGA had grown Victory Goal/WWS into class football series, with amazing visuals. Really SEGA Japan should have the Saturn WWS team working on a direct sequel and look to have worked with Genki/AV on using the Virtual Striker 2 code base, to produce a stunning looking and playing footy game. Virtual Striker 2 GFX was simply amazing at the time.
    I downloaded the Virtua Striker 2 ISO a couple weeks ago, stay tuned to see what kind of performance it has.

People can say this and that with SEGA. But I like to think of practical measures SEGA could have done with its limited funds; Rally II should have been a showcase, The WWS team should have been tasked with making a visually stunning looking and great playing game and SEGA should have stepped in when Lombtomy were having cash flow issues, and even bought them outright, bought shares or given them the Half Life port. A Lobotomy made Half Life port on the DC, could have been a really system showcase and also help the system for sales ...
    I know Bernie finished off Sega as a hardware manufacturer, but one of the very smart things he did was buy Visual Concepts. He likely should've bought Lobotomy too, but the thought probably never crossed his mind.
    Certified F-Zero GX fanboy

Thread Information