Quantcast

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: What prevents the Dreamcast from being my favourite console

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Team Andromeda View Post
    Well over the years, I've played my copy on Hitachi, Phillips, SONY CRT sets and even a cheap Bush set and the lightgun works fine.
    Confidential Mission doesn’t work with any of the available light guns in North America, when playing on a 2002 27” Sony Wega.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    Confidential Mission doesn’t work with any of the available light guns in North America, when playing on a 2002 27” Sony Wega.
    Very strange it worked fine with my Philips 32 Matchline 100hz TV and that was always the TV I was most worried about. Sadly all my CRT have died over the years and all I'm left with is my tiny 14' SONY and I hate playing any games on it tbh, given its so small
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

Quote Originally Posted by Yharnamresident View Post
    I never owned a Dreamcast back in the day, the only game I knew it had was Crazy Taxi, and thats a game I've never given a shit about and still don't give a shit about.
    I'm not the biggest fan of Crazy Taxi, but it was fun and looked great back inthe day. For me Sega Rally II needed to be perfect and a showcase for the Internet functions of the DC, it was nither.
    Sadly it took SEGA until Virtual ON II to do that, more or less perfect and packed with incredible internet features for the time (Jp version)

I downloaded the Virtua Striker 2 ISO a couple weeks ago, stay tuned to see what kind of performance it has
    I wouldn't imagine very good, it looked stunning at the time (even better than the Model 3 version) and just a stunning NAOMI port , Genki really knew how to push the DC.

I know Bernie finished off Sega as a hardware manufacturer, but one of the very smart things he did was buy Visual Concepts
    He left, just after the launch of the DC, he did more to finish off the Saturn tbh. To his credit, he did do a lot of good things with the DC.

Captivation Digital just mishandled the DC project of Half Life . The port really should have been given to Lobotomy and a cash injection via SEGA. I doubt it would have made a difference in the end, but a Showcase SEGA Rally II and Half Life ports on the DC with full use of the Internet fuctions, might have shifted a few DC's and made the system more of a must have
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert Virtua Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by shifted View Post
    That's sad, I was hoping there was some progress to get a replacement laser.

All 3 of my current consoles are paperweights, I tried adjusting the little screw for hours on each one and got nowhere, it's cactus. Thing is, buying a second hand-one is like a time bomb as it is - you just don't know when it's going to go.

It's a shame, but I suppose at some point our cartridges and discs will degrade anyway and become useless, which makes me question whether it's worth paying the prices now if it all ends up unusable at some point and would it drop in value then? Will will see complete in box games for sale with unusable CDs and cartridges in mass?
    I think it's a long was until cartridges and discs will become useless, so it's a bit extreme in my opinion to go already for things like GDemu etc.

It's like classic cars, eventually every original parts will fails and become hard to find, but that's not a good reason to transform a classic car in a frankenstein. In fact for classic cars there are many shops who build new custom spare parts.

I don't know why gaming communities can't organize to do the same, to preserve original functionality of consoles.

Sega should have used better parts for Dreamcast especially the lasers, and maybe abandon instead the modem, that probably was the main reason why they used so many cheap parts on the DC.

It was a $200 console, with a really fast CD drive. There’s no way to sell it that low, using high end CD drives. Hell, look at the quality of the PS and PS2 drives.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    It was a $200 console, with a really fast CD drive. There’s no way to sell it that low, using high end CD drives. Hell, look at the quality of the PS and PS2 drives.

The Gamecube was $199 and it used its own format too, a custom miniDVD.
    But Nintendo used high quality components unlike Sega with DC.

So I think Sega should've discarded the DC modem and choose to include high quality and durable parts instead.

The Future Is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingRaging in the Streets SegataS's Avatar

Maybe Nintendo who was always in pretty good financial shape thought they could eat the cost.

Life!? ... What console is that on?

Raging in the Streets Yharnamresident's Avatar

Very strange it worked fine with my Philips 32 Matchline 100hz TV and that was always the TV I was most worried about. Sadly all my CRT have died over the years and all I'm left with is my tiny 14' SONY and I hate playing any games on it tbh, given its so small
    Dude, 14" is almost the size of my tablet.

I wouldn't imagine very good, it looked stunning at the time (even better than the Model 3 version) and just a stunning NAOMI port , Genki really knew how to push the DC.
    No it does actually have decent performance, I looked at it on an emulator and it often hits 1.5 million vertices.

Quote Originally Posted by Virtua Hunter View Post
    Sega should have used better parts for Dreamcast especially the lasers, and maybe abandon instead the modem, that probably was the main reason why they used so many cheap parts on the DC.
    No the reason the Dreamcast has a cheap laser, is because they used a high-quality laser for the Saturn and that made them decide it was good place to cut costs.
    Certified F-Zero GX fanboy

The Gamecube was $199 and it used its own format too, a custom miniDVD.
    But Nintendo used high quality components unlike Sega with DC.

So I think Sega should've discarded the DC modem and choose to include high quality and durable parts instead.
    There's nothing custom about the DVD drive, other than it only having enough tray space for the smaller DVD. Look at just about every CD and DVD player tray, and you'll notice that it has a space for a smaller disc. Those smaller discs were around for quite some time. Nintendo just didn't pay for the license to use DVD video playback, which was later offered with the Panasonic Q.

The GPU was designed by former members of SGI, at ArtX. AMD bought out a majority share of the company's stock, right before the GC was released. Nintendo was obviously funding ArtX, making for reduced product pricing for them. The GC is an elegantly designed console, that doesn't use expensive hardware to get the job done. Nintendo has always done it that way, and as such, they run a much tighter ship then all of the other companies in the video game market. They know how to get the most bang for the buck than any of those other companies.

Quote Originally Posted by Yharnamresident View Post
    Dude, 14" is almost the size of my tablet.
    I used hate playing my Master System on my 14' Sharp TV when I was a kid and was always having a telling off by my mum, when I would set the Master System up downstairs on the 27' Tv (Only over Christmas was I allowed to use the big downstairs TV) I hated it back then and since I've grown up, I've played games on big TV's. 14' TV is painful to use in this day and age.

No it does actually have decent performance, I looked at it on an emulator and it often hits 1.5 million vertices
    It's not good enough, it's way off the Model 3 game, not just with the slowdown, but the water and muck spray, debris effects are shockingly poor in the DC version compared to the Arcade and in the replays its what makes the DC version look far worse. Rally II should have also been a showcase for the Online part of the DC; with Online Head to head, Online rankings and being able to upload and download players ghost and replay data Ect
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Mega Driver Hedgehog-in-TrainingWCPO Agent Gryson's Avatar

Recently revealed fact: Isao Okawa (Sega chairman, CSK owner) used his own personal money to pay for every single Dreamcast modem. Each unit cost about $30. So not including the modem would not have changed anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Gryson View Post
    Recently revealed fact: Isao Okawa (Sega chairman, CSK owner) used his own personal money to pay for every single Dreamcast modem. Each unit cost about $30. So not including the modem would not have changed anything.
    The late GREAT Mr Iaso was SEGA to the core , Sega was never the same after his death .... The man was a SEGA GOD
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Quote Originally Posted by Gryson View Post
    Really?
    In that recent Dreamcast documentary, Yoot Saito mentioned especially the modem as one of the reason why Sega could not profit with DC.
    As part of Sega at time, he should've known if modem was paid entirely by Okawa...

But if that's true, he (Okawa) was the one who pushed to have modem included and he paid with his personal money...Okawa was great.
    Do you have the source? I'd like to read the original article.

But I still agree with Yoot Saito, Sega miscalulate the profit point with DC, using expensive parts on one side and cheap components on the other and still they had to sell 2 games per console to profit...surely they could have done a better job in this regard, to reach profitability more easly with a good hardware and with durable components, like Nintendo did with Gamecube.

Mega Driver Hedgehog-in-TrainingWCPO Agent Gryson's Avatar

Really?
    In that recent Dreamcast documentary, Yoot Saito mentioned especially the modem as one of the reason why Sega could not profit with DC.
    As part of Sega at time, he should've known if modem was paid entirely by Okawa...
    Well, first, I don't think Yoot Saito was actually a Sega employee, was he? Didn't he just serve in some advisory role? Anyway, I think it's safe to say that most employees were not kept up-to-date on the inner workings of the Sega leadership.

But if that's true, he (Okawa) was the one who pushed to have modem included and he paid with his personal money...Okawa was great.
    Do you have the source? I'd like to read the original article.
    It came up in the recent talk with Yoichi Miyaji (of Game Arts). There is no article. Translation:

"Each Dreamcast modem cost 3,000 yen, but they were all paid for with Okawa's personal money. In the end, Okawa gave Sega 135 billion yen of his own money."

https://twitter.com/Va_HARA/status/1157670225422123009

I should note that Yoichi Miyaji was probably in a better position than Yoot Saito to know this kind of info, since Miyaji had long been involved in Sega hardware development (he had a huge hand in the final specs of the Mega CD, for example). And this info does confirm other sources saying that Okawa gave Sega that money during the Dreamcast days.

But I still agree with Yoot Saito, Sega miscalulate the profit point with DC, using expensive parts on one side and cheap components on the other and still they had to sell 2 games per console to profit...surely they could have done a better job in this regard, to reach profitability more easly with a good hardware and with durable components, like Nintendo did with Gamecube.
    Two games per console to break even is incredibly good. For the Saturn, it was about eight games per console (depending on the time).

Outrunner

I wouldn't have changed anything about the hardware, for 1998/1999 it was fine especially for the price. That's why it's so disappointing to me it didn't last longer. If Sega had been doing better financially maybe we would have seen an upgraded model or successor (maybe a Dreamcast 2, following the Naomi 2) that would have included a DVD drive and redesigned controllers.

Thread Information