Quantcast

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: What prevents the Dreamcast from being my favourite console

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training SegaDreamcast's Avatar

Personally, the Dreamcast controller is my favorite of all home consoles. I thought the VMUs were amazing with the addition of Chao mini-games in Sonic Adventure and generally something always on their screen when you played a game. Just wish they didn't make that beeping sound when they ran out of battery.

Raging in the Streets Yharnamresident's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SegaDreamcast View Post
    Personally, the Dreamcast controller is my favorite of all home consoles. I thought the VMUs were amazing with the addition of Chao mini-games in Sonic Adventure and generally something always on their screen when you played a game. Just wish they didn't make that beeping sound when they ran out of battery.
    Well when I created this thread, I was prepared to do a lot of agree to disagreeing about the Dreamcast controller.
    Certified F-Zero GX fanboy

I will say one good think about the DC Pad, for the analogue stick is the best one going
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert Virtua Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Team Andromeda View Post
    I will say one good think about the DC Pad, for the analogue stick is the best one going
    yeah, the stick was pretty good, and probably one of the most durable.
    Surely they didn't use cheap parts for the pad.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training

From the moment I saw the DC controller upon it's unveiling in mid 1998, I never liked it. Yes, it's modeled on the excellent Saturn 3D pad, and it was okay for most of SEGA's arcade conversions. But for most other games, which, at the time, were becoming more complex with more input commands, it was lacking enough buttons. Immediately it is missing two face buttons, which are essential for a large part of what the DC is remembered for: Capcom fighting games. While I love the analogue stick and the analogue triggers, especially for racing games, as others have mentioned on here, the triggers are RSI inducing after long plays. The controller is too angular in its design and is far from comfortable to use for long periods. These days, people complain about the lack of a second analogue pad. This wasn't something that I felt was necessary back in the late 90s, but playing any first-person shooters or third person action-adventure games now reveals how important it was to have this feature in an era where these genres were becoming much more popular and camera control was becoming a necessity for players. The cord coming out of the bottom is an odd choice but I can live with it since you can clip it on the back anyway.

What I found odd is that SEGA seemed to be thinking backwards when developing the DC controller and memory card system. Yes, rumble was becoming a staple of games, but Sony chose the right route and built it into their controllers rather than needing an accessory like the N64. Why didn't SEGA do this? It would have made the DC pad less bulky without the need for a second expansion port.

Further, the Mega CD and Saturn had internal save data instead of requiring memory cards (even if an expansion cart was eventually needed if you had a sizable collection). In this way, requiring a memory card, like you needed for the PS1, makes the the VMU seemed like a step backwards, especially considering how little data you could store on it. I understand Tamagochi was big around this time and I can see why SEGA implemented this into the design, but I have never tried any of the VMU games because the style of games were far too limited to interest me. That said, I like how some developers, such as Capcom with the Resident Evil games, took the initiative and made use of the VMU as a second screen for vital information, like health and ammo, 14 years before the release of the Wii U.

Don't get me wrong: I love the Dreamcast and it's library of games. It was a time of huge innovation from SEGA. I've just never been fond of the controller and VMU because they seem like a step backwards to me, of SEGA copying its rivals rather than being the innovative and independent hardware manufacturer they had been before this.

Thread Information