Quantcast

Thread: Wherefore art thou Amelia?

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher Jake Armitage's Avatar

Default Wherefore art thou Amelia?

Let's hope they find something that puts this mystery to bed:

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/c...hart-airplane/

^Lol

The Future Is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingRaging in the Streets SegataS's Avatar

She was captured by the Japanese and executed.

Fine let's go with aliens and she was part of the 37's and she met Captain Janeway of the USS Voyager.

Life!? ... What console is that on?

Master of Shinobi Crystalpepsifan's Avatar

For the life of me, I could never understand why anybody gives a fuck about finding Amelia Earhart. D.B Cooper, Jimmy Hoffa, Bigfoot, all infinitely more interesting mysteries.

Quote Originally Posted by Crystalpepsifan View Post
    For the life of me, I could never understand why anybody gives a fuck about finding Amelia Earhart. D.B Cooper, Jimmy Hoffa, Bigfoot, all infinitely more interesting mysteries.
    Probably because Amelia Earhart in her day was a more prominent figure than either Cooper or Hoffa were in their days. (Bigfoot is a bit different obviously.)

And being interested in some mysteries doesn't preclude being interested in others.

I like all sorts of mysteries - especially historical ones - i also wanna know the truth about Frank Finkle!
    Last edited by Jake Armitage; 08-14-2019 at 02:25 PM.

Jimmy Hoffa is, IMO, a mystery I like to see explored and although it has been investigated before, it still is interesting.

Saying Earhart was a more prominent figure than Hoffa?

Quote Originally Posted by JCU View Post
    Jimmy Hoffa is, IMO, a mystery I like to see explored and although it has been investigated before, it still is interesting.

Saying Earhart was a more prominent figure than Hoffa?
    One nice thing about mysteries is that you can fancy whichever ones you like. And speculate on possible solutions to your heart's content. And every once in awhile one gets solved.

In her day, certainly. She was famous world wide in an era where communications were much more limited and it took more luck/effort/achievements to attain world wide reknown. She was also famous in a world where it was much harder for a woman to achieve such a status. Her disappearance was very big news and the official governmental search* lasted 2 1/2 weeks - the most extensive air/sea search ever launched until that time.

Her disappearance happened long ago enough that the cultural memory of her is not as strong as it was - but it has not been, by any means, totally forgotten.

Whether Hoffa or Earhart was more influential is a totally different story - likely unanswerable since they were involved in totally different spheres of life in society.

*Her husband mounted some private search efforts after the official one ended.

You know the word 'wherefore' essentially just means 'why' right?
    Why Amelia? Hell if I know.

If we're discussing where she went though, I think at this point its almost impossible to be certain about much due to the time that has elapsed since her disappearance.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Moham View Post
    You know the word 'wherefore' essentially just means 'why' right?
    Why Amelia? Hell if I know.

If we're discussing where she went though, I think at this point its almost impossible to be certain about much due to the time that has elapsed since her disappearance.
    Yeah I knew that - but it is the lift from Shakespeare I was going for (wherefore art thou romeo). Anything to reel in the marks....*

Parts of the airframe and engines are likely to be somewhat intact. Unfortunately there is a debris field from a freighter that ran aground in 1928 and slowly disintegrated over the years to complicate the search - said debris field is very close to where they think the Electra landed and eventually went over the reef edge.

There is always a chance that the partial skeleton and associated artifacts that the British misplaced in Fiji will turn up someday.

* *Puts on sandwhich board that says "This way to the Mighty Egress."*
    Last edited by Jake Armitage; 08-14-2019 at 06:16 PM.

Ballard's search at the island (apparently) came up empty handed.

But as an ancillary part of the search efforts, this did surface:

https://mysteriousuniverse.org/2019/...melia-earhart/

Master of Shinobi Mega Drive Bowlsey's Avatar

Her plane went down in Japanese controlled territory and both her and her co-pilot were subsequently arrested as spies and later executed. Of all the many theories surrounding her disappearance that one makes the most sense to me. Jimmy Hoffa's body was finally found buried under some ranch if memory serves, although the mystery of who killed him was never solved. Bigfoot? Now the mystery of bigfoot is very interesting. Interesting in so far as to how the hell this creature hasn't yet been discovered and verified by anthropological science that is. It has been seen up and down North America by hundreds, if not thousands, of eyewitnesses over the decades. It is known by the native Americans to be a fact that he exists, yet still the best evidence we have to this date to prove his existence is the, extremely convincing imo, famous Patterson/Gimlin footage of the creature that was shot in 1967 in Bluff Creek, California. Whatever this thing is, it has been categorically and scientifically proven to NOT be a man in a suit as some have alleged over the years.

Thread Information