Quantcast

Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: @Sega: fix the Mega Drive Mini sound delay or riot!

Road Rasher

I have watched a couple of videos, and the sound delay is absolutely terrible, you clearly hear the sound effect after action, and even worse now, i just saw the review from Rerez https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCgRNkDgBRg ... i had seen the weird double inputs mentionned in the menu, but its also in game play... meaning a game like tetris is unplayable!, and ALL games feel off due to this bug!!! All the reviews raving its great, makes me wonder if they just played it less than a minute per game, and really not tested properly. Hopefully sega will patch it, but in the meantime, blast16 with a megapi case seems like the perfect mini sega genesis console.
    Last edited by PreZZ; 09-12-2019 at 10:49 PM.

SEGA Representer. Outrunner MrX's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PreZZ View Post
    I have watched a couple of videos, and the sound delay is absolutely terrible, you clearly hear the sound effect after action, and even worse now, i just saw the review from Rerez https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCgRNkDgBRg ... i had seen the weird double inputs mentionned in the menu, but its also in game play... meaning a game like tetris is unplayable!, and ALL games feel off due to this bug!!! All the reviews raving its great, makes me wonder if they just played it less than a minute per game, and really not tested properly. Hopefully sega will patch it, but in the meantime, blast16 with a megapi case seems like the perfect mini sega genesis console.
    https://twitter.com/gamesack/status/...516583936?s=21

i just saw the review from Rerez https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCgRNkDgBRg
    That review is awful. The guy makes so many stupid and nonsensical comments I wouldn't put much stock in his analysis.

Road Rasher

I agree, he wants a rom in 16:9 of the arcade rom of Darius?! But the double input does seem plausible, ill see when i get my preorder sept 19

SEGA Representer. Outrunner MrX's Avatar

I agree, he wants a rom in 16:9 of the arcade rom of Darius?! But the double input does seem plausible, ill see when i get my preorder sept 19

He was corrected, the review has been pulled.

If you want truly stupid, IGN complained about emulation issues in Sonic 1 that are how the game actually behaves.

https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/09...?sf108783613=1
    Unfortunately, I did notice some weird emulation glitches, particularly in Sonic. If you capture a chaos emerald in one of the bonus levels, for example, it blinks in and out of existence on the score screen. The checkerboard pattern on Dr. Robotnik's wrecking ball in the first boss fight also flickers in and out of existence, rendering the ball shiny and brown rather than checkered.
    I may agree that those weren't the greatest ideas even back then (especially the checkerboard ball one), but they aren't emulation issues.

Quote Originally Posted by SEGA-Jorge View Post
    The reviewer had Virtua Fighter 2 in it's own quality tier, mentioning that it really didn't belong on the console. I really need to do an article about that game... Most people have no idea what they are talking about.
    Some time ago I honestly decided to look at it again since people insist the physics are actually accurate as far as Virtua Fighter does (albeit missing the Z axis, of course) but goddamn they really dropped the ball on presentation (aside from the floor, that one looks nice). Backgrounds are repeated as palette swaps and I've spotted large areas where tiles don't align properly at all (see: forest background). Animation looks janky as hell to the point of looking like the bootleg fighting games, the music conversion leaves a lot to be desired (32X Virtua Fighter did it much better, and I'm not sure if they even used the PWM channels for music since most 32X games didn't), and they didn't even include the new fighters so they may have as well called it Virtua Fighter 1.

A good 2D demake is definitely possible, but that one didn't really fare well.

Mega Driver Hedgehog-in-TrainingWCPO Agent Gryson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zz Badnusty View Post
    That review is awful. The guy makes so many stupid and nonsensical comments I wouldn't put much stock in his analysis.
    Yes, it set off an alarm in my head when he claimed that he couldn't play any of the games well because of "double inputs", but he never once showed video evidence of this from any game.

Toejam is a wiener. Master of Shinobi SEGA-Jorge's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sik View Post
    If you want truly stupid, IGN complained about emulation issues in Sonic 1 that are how the game actually behaves.

https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/09...?sf108783613=1I may agree that those weren't the greatest ideas even back then (especially the checkerboard ball one), but they aren't emulation issues.

Some time ago I honestly decided to look at it again since people insist the physics are actually accurate as far as Virtua Fighter does (albeit missing the Z axis, of course) but goddamn they really dropped the ball on presentation (aside from the floor, that one looks nice). Backgrounds are repeated as palette swaps and I've spotted large areas where tiles don't align properly at all (see: forest background). Animation looks janky as hell to the point of looking like the bootleg fighting games, the music conversion leaves a lot to be desired (32X Virtua Fighter did it much better, and I'm not sure if they even used the PWM channels for music since most 32X games didn't), and they didn't even include the new fighters so they may have as well called it Virtua Fighter 1.

A good 2D demake is definitely possible, but that one didn't really fare well.
    It's by no means perfect, but unless you put are putting time into multiplayer, and really getting into the gameplay, a vast majority of why the game is fun is lost. It's not VF1 or VF2. It's its own thing, and it can be really fun. A great emphasis is put on medial movement. The 2d gameplay, along with the added movement options (wave/crouch dashing is a major part of Genesis VF) and the use of the block button, makes the game fun as hell. It's super fast, and incredibly enjoyable as a fighting game. I'm of the opinion that it's absolutely in the top 5 fighting games on the console. It's more playable than a vast majority of the fighting games on the console. More competitively sound than MK1, and possible MK2, more playable as a competitive and systematically sound than Eternal Champions etc. It's a solid 2d fighter.

As far as aesthetics go, I really do wish it was a better looking game, but I 'm not going to let visuals muck up a really enjoyable fighter. I like how the whole game looks, aside from in-game, and that is a shame, because larger, stylized sprites over nice backgrounds (I would be fine with simply doing away with the ground, honestly) would have been a really good direction to go. The 2d art for vf2 is so cool, I would have loved to see sprites based off those designs.

Sound, in my opinion, was really good, for what it was. It's a Genesis rendition of the VF2 ost, rather than 32X's VF 1 ost. So I don't really think it's fair to draw comparisons. I think they did good sounding versions of the arcade hardware tracks, (the Saturn versions were remixed) and in that, I really find myself liking them more and more. (I listen to a lot of video game music, and have found myself coming back to this OST often. It has some really nice tracks, and it's enjoyable to play them back to back with the Arcade variations.

I was talking to a pal about this, and I think that a huge part of the way this game is received was the perception of what the game was supposed to be. A straight up 2d VF2 was totally possible, and would have been awesome. But this game, when played for what it is, is crazy fun. The combos are there, the setups are similar, there is staggering and counter hits, and that absolutely crazy movement system.

Additionally, and this is a question for everyone, how do you hold a Genesis controller? I mean that seriously. I play on a 6-button pad, and stick, but I play my 6-button pad like a stick. Meaning, I don't use my thumb on the XYZ|ABC buttons. I use my Index/Middle/Ring. I play ALL games like this. I thought you were supposed to, because I grew up in the arcade, and I assumed the Genesis controller was purposely laid out to be comfortable to hold as a mini-arcade pad. I use my thumb as normal on the D-pad, but I claw the buttons, and all the games that I talk about that have these bad reputations play so different when you play them like this. Oddly enough, all arcade games ported to Genesis. (VF, Pit-Fighter, Altered Beast, Atomic Runner, etc)

VF on a pad or stick played as an arcade fighting game is down right silly. It's really fun, and that's why Sega always puts it on stuff. They made a crazy fun, competitive 2D fighter, and almost no one realizes it. It's not traditional VF/VF2, but it's really playable, enjoyable, and most importantly for a fighting game, competitively sound (for its time).
    Last edited by SEGA-Jorge; 09-13-2019 at 12:50 PM.

Sorry to all purists, but it's been a few years since I've played on real hardware - and even longer since I last did so with use of a CRT television. I mostly play my games with Genesis Plus GX on Wii. How's the lag on that? I wonder if it's something I would notice, also with the Mini.

Quote Originally Posted by GelmiR View Post
    Sorry to all purists, but it's been a few years since I've played on real hardware - and even longer since I last did so with use of a CRT television. I mostly play my games with Genesis Plus GX on Wii. How's the lag on that? I wonder if it's something I would notice, also with the Mini.
    Most people, including the console enthusiasts, will not be able to tell the difference, or the difference will be so minor that it will not be an issue. I really think this is being blown out of proportion by the most vocal minority, the hardware enthusiasts. I love the hardware as much as the next person, but it's getting harder and harder for other players to experience these games in a way that is palatable, easy to access, and hip. These mini-consoles are really popular, and it's good to have a good example that is providing players with a solid library of titles to experience. The emulation will never be perfect. I play stuff on emulators often, and I play actual hardware daily. The difference is minor, but it's there, that's just a reality that needs to be dealt with when emulating 30+ year old hardware and software.

If anything, the quality of the overall package, emulation, and interface, says a lot. It's being incredibly well-received by everyone outside the most die-hard enthusiasts, which says a lot. You'll never really please the Hardware purists. See Mega SG. It's almost perfect. But it's not something people will abandon their actual hardware over.

Death Bringer Raging in the Streets Black_Tiger's Avatar

A soft modded Wii is a much better setup than all of the fake consoles that people love to collect now.
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

You're supposed to say a Raspberry Pi, not a Wii :​P

Again, the modding community and Raspberry pi communities are not the demographic these companies are targeting, and rightfully so. The money is in the quasi high-quality, stand alone, plug and play retro aesthetic. The amount of work that goes into a decent pi set up with a nice UI and a cool case is both more expensive, and takes time and know how.

All this gatekeeping BS is exactly what the key demographic of the plug and play console crowd is actively trying to avoid. The minor differences that exist between the emulation options ultimately are separated by cost, ease of use, and last, and seriously, least importantly, accuracy. If people cared about accuracy, emulation would be accurate. It is what it is because people that can tell the difference, and actually care about the difference, are in the very small minority.

Let them have their cake...

Death Bringer Raging in the Streets Black_Tiger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sik View Post
    You're supposed to say a Raspberry Pi, not a Wii :​P
    I setup a raspberry pi for a friend and put together a bartop arcade with one for myself. Neither connects to a crt and a lone raspberry pi needs to be secured to something larger and heavier to be used as a console.

It's still also much better than stacks of fake consoles, but normies need to buy one fully setup with retropi, roms and proper video settings to be able to make use of it.

A Wii is also still currently cheaper.

Sega-Jorge: mini consoles are also catering to collectors ans misc people, but either way you have to spend $2000+ on minis of random quality and ease of use to approach the consoles covered by something like a raspeberry pi. That's notally ignoring the handful of titles that come with a mini console.

What I was talking about was from the more hardcore perspective you refered to. But all of the potential work involved is for someone who wants to play everything.

For the kinds of people who the mini consoles are theoretically made for, there are so many raspeberry pi based unofficial minis with replica shells out there that I can literally buy them from random little shops everywhere I go, even in my tiny hick town suburb. They of course have all of the mainstream titles that mini buyers care about, including all of the ones missing from official mini consoles. They just don't have all of the obscure stuff that I'd want, like fan translated games.
    Last edited by Black_Tiger; 09-14-2019 at 04:04 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

Thanks for the helpful replies! I pre-ordered the Mini pretty much the moment World of Illusion was announced for it. After it became clear that Sega would do the mini themselves, it started looking better and better, and I want to support them and hope they'll do more like this. Also, it's a way to legally play 42 Mega Drive games I've heard about Raspberry Pi, but don't have a clue where to start - and have actually been very happy with my Wii setup for about 4-5 years now

Thread Information