Quantcast

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112

Thread: @Sega: fix the Mega Drive Mini sound delay or riot!

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Redifer View Post
    *sound lag.
    Is the lag between when a button is pressed to the sound coming and action coming through to the TV as bad on a CRT TV compared to a LCD, when using a Mini . I really don't use my CRT much these days and play all my old consoles via the Framemister .I know that's got built in lag and that my LG Oled (2018 model) got lag even in game mode , but I really don't notice it enough for it to be an issue
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

Toejam is a wiener. Master of Shinobi SEGA-Jorge's Avatar

I imagine there will be some level of input lag, just due to playing on a LCD/LED/4k tv. Game Mode settings don't tend to eliminate all of that lag. This would mostly be noticeable to people that play on CRT more regularly. I don't really know if that a minority, or majority of players. Personally, I only play on CRT. So my experience my be different than that of someone that plays on a Mega SG, or original hardware via Framemeister, or via emulation. I'm excited to give this mini a shot, and see how it fares. I imagine it won't be enough lag/audio lag to really cause an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by CrossBow View Post
    Darius doesn't seem to have any lag at all but then it was coded for debut on the mini so it doesn't really surprise me there.
    Just to make it clear: it was still debugged on real hardware despite that.

…you know, do we have any consistent measurements across all games? I wonder if there's lag coming from communication with the sound driver (which would be indeed an emulation issue if so). We aren't going to know for sure if some minis have the lag fixed or not unless we're comparing the same games.

Mega Driver Hedgehog-in-TrainingWCPO Agent Gryson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CrossBow View Post
    Well..after playing on my Mini last night what I've found is that there is audio lag. But not in all the games. As an example, Megaman seem to have a tiny bit of audio lag, but the Sonic games and gunstar heroes did not. Castlevania bloodlines only seems to have audio lag on some parts of it. An example is that the whip and explosion sounds for the most part seem to be correct, but there is a noticeable delay when you jump from ledges and land on the ledge below. That thud sound is definitely late to the game. No idea why only that one stands out so much. I also noticed that some of the instrumentation seems wrong or just sounds different in a few places. ToeJam and Earl is one example on the music that stuck out to me. I also think there is a big of controller lag as well but that too seems to vary from game to game so it could be more to do with the games themselves. Darius doesn't seem to have any lag at all but then it was coded for debut on the mini so it doesn't really surprise me there.

It really seems to vary from game to game on the mini in regards to what seems right and what doesn't in the audio lag and some input lag. At least in my case. Now I do have the Mini going into my receiver and then to my TV as all of my HDMI systems are so that might be affecting what I'm experiencing but for the most part, it is an old receiver that is about 10 years old so it doesn't do any other processing and is passthru on HDMI inputs.
    Could you record some video? The only way to really know is to check it frame-by-frame.

In the past day, I've been surprised by how many people are convinced that there is audio lag until you slow things down and clearly show them it's not there. Not saying that's the case with you (I trust your judgment a lot more), but our minds can deceive us.

Mega Driver Hedgehog-in-TrainingWCPO Agent Gryson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sik View Post
    Just to make it clear: it was still debugged on real hardware despite that.

…you know, do we have any consistent measurements across all games? I wonder if there's lag coming from communication with the sound driver (which would be indeed an emulation issue if so). We aren't going to know for sure if some minis have the lag fixed or not unless we're comparing the same games.
    I was using Mega Man's shot sound, which is the one that DF demonstrated. I found at least three Genesis Minis on Youtube where it was fixed, and two where it wasn't.

Honestly, the lag is so obvious on it that you can tell pretty quickly when it's there.

Sega confirmed to me that all of the US units come from the same lot. There have been no new batches. They can't say if Japan made any more or not. All I can say is I can't trust a unit without testing it myself. If I come across any other Genesis Mini units, I'll test them.

And no, it's not from button-press-to-sound. It's from onscreen action to sound. So basically that means if I record a game, the sound is out of sync (late). It has nothing to do with the display.

I know it would be absolutely niche, and they would probably never invest the money, but I assume that patching with a dedicated program (Windows PC -> Micro USB on the Mini) could get rid of some of the issues, and even add improvements like a better CRT filter, more video options, etc. If hackers can tinker with the console through this port, why not use this as a means to officially improve the console after launch? I assume there would be no easy way to communicate this to their customers without investing even more money, and even so, less than 1% of them would even care about it.

Thread Information