Quantcast

Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: @Sega: fix the Mega Drive Mini sound delay or riot!

Mega Driver Hedgehog-in-TrainingMaster of Shinobi Gryson's Avatar

I just checked that video in Premiere and there are 0 frames of audio lag on Sonic for both the jump and the box hit. The video is only 30 fps, but yeah.

Thread over. Move along.

Toejam is a wiener. Master of Shinobi SEGA-Jorge's Avatar

In the event that all the lag/issues are cleared up, do all the folks that got early previews get replacements?! hahah Joe needs one, so he can make an apology video! I kid, I kid. But if it is fixed, Sega, send Joe another one, he's good people!

Here is slow-motion proof that the audio lag is no more:

I asked Joe Redifer and John Linneman (DF Retro) on Twitter, and they said they're sticking with their initial reviews because that's what Sega sent them.

Edit: And Joe brought up the point that maybe Sega updated it after they had already manufactured a batch, in which case there could be a lot of bad units in the wild.

There's also the possibility that the video had been edited and they accidentally undid any lag… (I mean, if I was a youtuber I sure as heck would like to make sure that anything in the recording process didn't introduce lag). Don't rule that out.

It's also possible it got patched right before shipping… I mean, we already had a story around that the Mega CD had to get its belts replaced at last minute (and by that I mean opening up the existing units and replacing the belts before tossing them into the boxes), so it wouldn't be unheard of.

…too many possibilities here (°_o)

Quote Originally Posted by Sik View Post
    There's also the possibility that the video had been edited and they accidentally undid any lag… (I mean, if I was a youtuber I sure as heck would like to make sure that anything in the recording process didn't introduce lag). Don't rule that out.
    It was from a live stream, and I've checked half a dozen other videos and they're all without audio lag.

But some other guy posted a video of Mega Man on Twitter and it clearly showed audio lag, so I'm guessing there are bad units in the wild along with good ones.

Road Rasher

is there an "about" page that would list board/software revision ?

Watch the first hack being a firmware upgrade rather than a plain old jailbreak :​P

Lots of people still have lag. From what I believe, not all units were manufactured at the time of my review. Once this issue was brought to light, they fixed it. No fixing that first batch though. The second batch seems to be mostly JP Minis.

So it wasn't a "budget issue". LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Redifer View Post
    Lots of people still have lag.
    I would imagine anyone playing on a LCD TV will get lag and depending on the model that will vary greatly. I bet lag is that at a emu level too, but I doubt its enough for most people to notice, much less care about. There's an increabile easter egg in the Tower too, SEGA really gone the extra mile this time and shown how it's done

Up your's SONY & Nintendo ... To Be this Good.. Takes SEGA

Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

*sound lag.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert Virtua Hunter's Avatar

I watched some new videos and I didn't noticed audio lag, maybe they really fixed it?
    In any case I'll wait probably until Xmas to get one from Japan, so I hope I'll get the second batch with the issue fixed.

If that's the case, it means that it was just a software issue, so M2 is responsible.
    They probably should start to focus on less projects at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Redifer View Post
    Lots of people still have lag. From what I believe, not all units were manufactured at the time of my review. Once this issue was brought to light, they fixed it. No fixing that first batch though. The second batch seems to be mostly JP Minis.

So it wasn't a "budget issue". LOL.
    Plenty of Genesis Minis are fixed. The worst thing about it is that Sega knowingly shipped the units that were manufactured before the update. They deserve to be called out on it. People with units that have audio lag should demand replacements.

And none of this precludes a "budget issue." Read the latest Retro Gamer - M2 said that the cheap hardware was difficult to work with but Sega would not let them change to anything better. I wouldn't be surprised if Sega forced pushing the emulator at an unfinished state to make the release deadline (which would also make this a "Sega issue" ).

For what's worth it, somebody already found a diagnostics mode…
    https://twitter.com/bakueikozo/statu...20492231524352

They also found a way to get the kernel to dump its log somewhere that could be extracted.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert Virtua Hunter's Avatar

Project Moon
    Sure the attention to detail and the fanservice is just perfection.

Well..after playing on my Mini last night what I've found is that there is audio lag. But not in all the games. As an example, Megaman seem to have a tiny bit of audio lag, but the Sonic games and gunstar heroes did not. Castlevania bloodlines only seems to have audio lag on some parts of it. An example is that the whip and explosion sounds for the most part seem to be correct, but there is a noticeable delay when you jump from ledges and land on the ledge below. That thud sound is definitely late to the game. No idea why only that one stands out so much. I also noticed that some of the instrumentation seems wrong or just sounds different in a few places. ToeJam and Earl is one example on the music that stuck out to me. I also think there is a big of controller lag as well but that too seems to vary from game to game so it could be more to do with the games themselves. Darius doesn't seem to have any lag at all but then it was coded for debut on the mini so it doesn't really surprise me there.

It really seems to vary from game to game on the mini in regards to what seems right and what doesn't in the audio lag and some input lag. At least in my case. Now I do have the Mini going into my receiver and then to my TV as all of my HDMI systems are so that might be affecting what I'm experiencing but for the most part, it is an old receiver that is about 10 years old so it doesn't do any other processing and is passthru on HDMI inputs.

Thread Information