Quantcast

Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: @Sega: fix the Mega Drive Mini sound delay or riot!

Yep, though it's kind of misleading since if we count that way then it's 56 games (as Game no Kanzume is a collection of games for starters, and Rockman World is three games in one + extra levels).

I actually went check the existing dump of Game no Kanzume Otokuyou and it's actually in there (albeit you need to hold down all buttons, don't make the mistake of pressing all at once and releasing them before the fading ends). Now I wonder if this had been found during its Sega Channel broadcast back in the day (or if Sega ever mentioned it back then).

EDIT: also beware that in most emulators this thing will crash horribly when selecting a game because it expects being able to write back to cartridge (it was made for a cartridge full of RAM, after all). BlastEm handles it properly, but a lot of emulators don't. Also even when it works beware that you'll have to wait several seconds before the game you picked actually loads.

Master of Shinobi

It doesn't even work on Everdrive, at least MD v3. Menu and music works, but it doesn't launch the games.

Nice catch anyway: a new cheat for a hidden game in 2019 ! And we could even call it a retro-cheat, as it works on the original hardware
    Lists of MD games: officially licensed (~925) @ cartridge size milestones @ Top 5 @ Top 250 (controversial) @ Sonic hacks @ best title screens @ Arcade ports (150)

Original Everdrive has Flash. Mega Everdrive has RAM, but by default blocks writes to it (in case some bugged up game tries to write back when it shouldn't, which would be harmless on ROM). You probably would need to hack the header and initialization code to get it use the extended mapper and then unlock RAM writes that way.

EDIT: this is also why 16t lacks music in most emulators, by the way! They forgot to make the music code use RAM instead of ROM. To get music you need to allow writes back to cartridge area.

Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by Sik View Post
    Original Everdrive has Flash. Mega Everdrive has RAM, but by default blocks writes to it (in case some bugged up game tries to write back when it shouldn't, which would be harmless on ROM). You probably would need to hack the header and initialization code to get it use the extended mapper and then unlock RAM writes that way.

EDIT: this is also why 16t lacks music in most emulators, by the way! They forgot to make the music code use RAM instead of ROM. To get music you need to allow writes back to cartridge area.
    I wish I had the skills to do a [f1] version of this rom
    Lists of MD games: officially licensed (~925) @ cartridge size milestones @ Top 5 @ Top 250 (controversial) @ Sonic hacks @ best title screens @ Arcade ports (150)

Well, I just whipped up this patch quickly, but no guarantees that it works:
    https://plutiedev.com/dl/game_no_kan...uyou_patch.ips

Remember, Mega Everdrive only, it won't run on the original Everdrive (which doesn't use RAM).

well now i wanna try this bastard out just to see if there lag or not!

Road Rasher

Quote Originally Posted by Sik View Post
    Well, I just whipped up this patch quickly, but no guarantees that it works:
    https://plutiedev.com/dl/game_no_kan...uyou_patch.ips

Remember, Mega Everdrive only, it won't run on the original Everdrive (which doesn't use RAM).
    I tried it on the Mega Everdrive V2 and it works great. It doesn't seem to work on the jailbroken Mega SG, though.

The hack is specific to Mega Everdrive, not the Mega Sg jailbreak or anything else :​P (though it may work on a Mega SD too since I recall that one implements the same mapper?)

Master of Shinobi

Many thanks, will try this on everdrive MD v3 when I get back home late october... don't have a mega everdrive. It surely does not work on Fusion and is broken on blastem now, which I guess is to be expected.
    Last edited by chilled; 09-22-2019 at 06:45 AM.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert MushaAleste's Avatar

So are we still rioting? I mean do the actual retail mini's still have sound lag? I wonder if its an easy fix via firmware even.

Well, it's apparently because Sega messed up and undeclocked one of the chips in the console.

https://youtu.be/XPBfq9GNBoE?t=180

Mega Driver Hedgehog-in-TrainingWCPO Agent Gryson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MushaAleste View Post
    So are we still rioting? I mean do the actual retail mini's still have sound lag? I wonder if its an easy fix via firmware even.
    Some do, some don't. Seems to be a crapshoot whether you get one that has lag or not.

Quote Originally Posted by chilled View Post
    Many thanks, will try this on everdrive MD v3 when I get back home late october... don't have a mega everdrive. It surely does not work on Fusion and is broken on blastem now, which I guess is to be expected.
    Yeah, I thought BlastEm was looking for the serial but seems to be looking for the checksum instead, so even a single byte change will break it. Oh well, you should use the unpatched ROM in BlastEm's case anyway :​P

Road Rasher

RetroRGB measured the audio delay and its 4ms, which is on par with emulation On raspberry pi, and around 3to 7ms for input lag, which is fairly good for emulation https://youtu.be/TC_mDhY4-3w
    Last edited by PreZZ; 09-22-2019 at 11:49 AM.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingSports Talker Centrale's Avatar

Apparently there's a cool little surprise if you open up the mini Mega CD.

Thread Information