Quantcast

Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617 LastLast

Thread: @Sega: fix the Mega Drive Mini sound delay or riot!

That Flashback thing is definitely a lot worse, that much I can tell you. We even had to patch the sound driver in Tanglewood because it turned out it emulates wrong a Z80 instruction >_< (and SSG-EG is broken, of course)

OPN2 in DNA Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher Peeteris's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tor Landeel View Post
    I don't know, a part of me wants to be happy with it and enjoy the moment.
    The other is just wondering how's it different from the Flashback release of 2 years ago.
    It was still pretty good for the casual audience, after all.
    Seriously?
    We ar comparing that pile of flaming shit to official SEGA mini console with good quality materials and only with subtle audio lag? Really?

Death Bringer Raging in the Streets Black_Tiger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Peeteris View Post
    Seriously?
    We ar comparing that pile of flaming shit to official SEGA mini console with good quality materials and only with subtle audio lag? Really?
    The Flashback HD plays real games and supports real controllers and is not limited to a small set of titles.

The hundreds of games not in Sega's mini play infinitely better on the Flashback.
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

Quote Originally Posted by Sik View Post
    How long before people start arguing that AtGames was doing a better job?
    :​P

Outrunner

I just picked up my Jp unit from the Post Office.

- No discernible audio lag whatsoever. Games tested: Sonic 2 (no delay on ring jingle or jump sound), Revenge of Shinobi (no delay when the shurikens hit Joeís katana in the intro), Golden Axe (no delay on Ax Battlerís sword swipe... I think I saw delay with this on a Youtube vid)

- When set to English, all games which had an English release are displayed in English including all the RPGs. I did worry that by buying the Jp version I might miss out on quite a few titles but not so! Obviously all the Jp exclusive titles are still in Japanese.

Not sure if itís a region/batch thing, but I defy anyone to compare a sh*tty AtGames product to the official Mini. This is even better than the SNES Mini.

Quote Originally Posted by Sik View Post
    It turns out that
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Sik again

For great justice! Outrunner Tor Landeel's Avatar

Seriously?
    That was not what I meant.
    Who is the target for the Megadrive Mini?
    If hardcore fans are, then maybe it's not good enough.
    If then it's for casuals, then the AtShit was good enough for them.
    But I guess that after hacking it will become just perfect, but it's disappointing aince M2 had time and budget to make it so.
    ***** トル・ランディール ******
    Cadash Arcade Colors hack:
    https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/3905/
    Out Run Arcade Colors hack:
    https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/3940/

Master of Shinobi

the whole library wont fit on those 512 Mb, though
    Lists of MD games: officially licensed (~925) @ cartridge sizes @ Top 5 @ Top 250 (controversial) @ Sonic hacks @ best title screens @ Arcade ports (150) @ best European

That was not what I meant.
    Who is the target for the Megadrive Mini?
    If hardcore fans are, then maybe it's not good enough.
    If then it's for casuals, then the AtShit was good enough for them.
    But I guess that after hacking it will become just perfect, but it's disappointing aince M2 had time and budget to make it so.
    Atgames somehow made a flashback console of a 30 years and well documented console in 2017 which not only smells like toxic plastic and is flimsy, but also games run on inconsistant 40fps with frame drops, when almost all games should run at 60fps and still pretty bad audio quality, even worse than SNES fanboys describe Genesis audio capabilities.
    It wasn't a commercial success and it was without a doubt not worth the money to even a casuals.

Atgames somehow made a flashback console of a 30 years and well documented console in 2017 which not only smells like toxic plastic and is flimsy, but also games run on inconsistant 40fps with frame drops, when almost all games should run at 60fps and still pretty bad audio quality, even worse than SNES fanboys describe Genesis audio capabilities.
    It wasn't a commercial success and it was without a doubt not worth the money to even a casuals.
    Yes, but regardless I heard a lot of praise from casuals on the 2018 version (the one with volume slider).
    From time to time I sell loose carts on local markets and surprisingly a lot of buyers have the Flashback console and ask if compatible.
    This is not about us, this is about people who have no idea how a real MD/Gen looks and sounds like.
    Of couse the MD Mini beats to death the Flashback in every area, and any casual should be able to tell.
    But this time, about the hardcore fans, I'm disappointed. A guy on facebook posted a video recording of him playing sonic, and the sound delay on rings catch was a bit distracting. Not a deal breaker..but I'd have expected more.
    But hey, for people that will barely turn it on it is great.
    ***** トル・ランディール ******

Yes, but regardless I heard a lot of praise from casuals on the 2018 version (the one with volume slider).
    From time to time I sell loose carts on local markets and surprisingly a lot of buyers have the Flashback console and ask if compatible.
    This is not about us, this is about people who have no idea how a real MD/Gen looks and sounds like.
    Of couse the MD Mini beats to death the Flashback in every area, and any casual should be able to tell.
    But this time, about the hardcore fans, I'm disappointed. A guy on facebook posted a video recording of him playing sonic, and the sound delay on rings catch was a bit distracting. Not a deal breaker..but I'd have expected more.
    Good that we found the common denominator.
    I mostly agree with what you wrote here.

Outrunner

A guy on facebook posted a video recording of him playing sonic, and the sound delay on rings catch was a bit distracting. Not a deal breaker..but I'd have expected more.
    The sound delay must be a manufacturing/batch/QC issue, not a product issue. There is zero audio lag on my Jp unit when collecting rings on Sonic 2. Zero, nada, nilch. I have only ever played on original hardware for the last thirty years and would notice right away if there was the same delay there was on the pre-launch review models.

Before concluding how disappointed in the product you are, might it be an idea to try it first? I for one am absolutely bowled over by the build quality and the emulation is as good as Iíve seen on OG Xbox, Raspberry Pi etc.

Quote Originally Posted by crazyteknohed View Post
    Before concluding how disappointed in the product you are, might it be an idea to try it first? I for one am absolutely bowled over by the build quality and the emulation is as good as Iíve seen on OG Xbox, Raspberry Pi etc.
    Yeah I heard reports of jp units having zero lags and I was waiting for the first tests of the EU batch to come out.
    Unfortunately at the moment 100% of them reported the same lag as the US model, so I have every right to be disappointed, because I'll get the EU version anyway in the near future.
    I'm sure of all its other qualities you mention and hope to try it soon.
    ***** トル・ランディール ******

Tiido's apprentice Road Rasher TulioAdriano's Avatar

So now that I got my hands on the inside of the MD Mini and was able to pull the roms out, I was testing Darius on real hardware (it froze on me once o_O) then I saw the SGDK notice in the options and that made me curious... what exactly from SGDK did they use in Darius? Does anyone know?

These logos have links on them! Click! Click!

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training bootsector's Avatar

TulioAdriano, could you please test going in and out the options screen a few times? You should get a black screen eventually on real hardware too.

Thread Information