Quantcast

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: @Sega: fix the Mega Drive Mini sound delay or riot!

HNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNG Raging in the Streets Moirai's Avatar

The turbografx is probably easier to emulate

Tiido's apprentice Road Rasher TulioAdriano's Avatar

Okay, how much of this delay is ACTUALLY produced by the console?

I mean, there are all sorts of delays that happen because of recording equipment and even when plugged directly to a TV it can be doing some processing that introduces out-of-sync picture to sound.

I think once the system hits the market and the embargo imposed by SEGA on in-depth reviews is lifted, people will post videos with better analysis of the product and all of its quirks and shortcomings.

Personally I was semi-shocked that SEGA sent review units to the Modern Vintage Gamer, since he's a known emulator author and has history of hacking source codes (like he posted Diablo for the Nintendo Switch). He might not be doing videos about it but there's a chance that by the time the system hits the market there will be some sort of jailbreaking to side-load more games, and perhaps replace whatever is in there with Retroarch.

Whatever the case, for me, at least, I only got it because it's nice and sleek, and will be a nice decorative item to go along with the other Minis, and especially with the "tower of power" Japanese version that I was able to secure. For real Mega Drive game playing, I use the original hardware on a CRT. No crazy digital effects, all analog, no lag, all running a the speed of light as it was meant to be.

These logos have links on them! Click! Click!

OPN2 in DNA Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher Peeteris's Avatar

If I recall correctly at least somebody compared the lag compared to a real console on the same TV, so that should rule out the TV as the (sole) cause (I imagine modern TVs don't help shit though).

Also I had heard that somebody complained about input lag on Mega Man, but turns out it's like that on the real thing too (・_・)

The Shadow knows Road Rasher Allard's Avatar

1-M2 are overrated (and I think they are, a little)
    After trying their Castlevania Classics collection I can safely say M2 are hella overrated. That collection is garbage.
    Formerly known as -RT

Nameless One

Quote Originally Posted by Allard View Post
    After trying their Castlevania Classics collection I can safely say M2 are hella overrated. That collection is garbage.
    M2 are slightly better than anyone else commercially doing "emulation plus", they benefit from the fact that everyone else are pretty crappy at it. "Rather be the Head of a Fox than the Tail of a Lion" sort of thing.

I didn't expect much from them here. Simply unfeasible to individually tweak every single game in the lineup with its own emulator config. But I didn't expect anything as bad as the sound delay.

I think the collection is great and none of us know, how much time, resources and money SEGA or the likes of Konami gave M2 to get the job done.
    M2 have done more than a decent job here and I loved their work on SEGA Classic collections on the 360
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

I think the collection is great
    Yeah, no. All the display options look ugly as sin, the border graphics options are poor and on launch the controls were unremappable, while the Castlevania 1 ROM was an early previously-unreleased version prone to bugs and crashes. Backbone's Sega Mega Drive collection wipes the floor with it when it comes to... well, everything, really. Screw me sideways and call me Socket the electrick duck, the only way you can quit the PC version is Alt+F4, what kind of a hackjob is this? They couldn't afford a "Quit Game" button?
    If an official collection looks and plays worse than the emulators people make for free, it's a bad collection.
    none of us know, how much time, resources and money SEGA or the likes of Konami gave M2 to get the job done.
    And I don't care. They put their name on it. They are independent, they can refuse a job if they don't get paid enough to make it good.
    Formerly known as -RT

And I don't care. They are independent, they can refuse a job if they don't get paid enough to make it good.
    Yeah they are independent and that's I guess means they need so many contractes/work to pay the bills and be able to pay the staff.
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Quote Originally Posted by Team Andromeda View Post
    Yeah they are independent and that's I guess means they need so many contractes/work to pay the bills and be able to pay the staff.
    So did AtGames.
    Also, dragging your reputation through the mud with sub-par work like that is not a good long-term solution for an independent contractor.
    Formerly known as -RT

So did AtGames.
    Also, dragging your reputation through the mud with sub-par work like that is not a good long-term solution for an independent contractor.
    M2 isn't really going to turn down work and if the Mega Mini games are anything like their work on the Contra and Castlevania collections, I have for the Xbox ,then the work is far from sub bar . It's up to a high standard (better than most) and my main complaint is really the lack of scan line filters.

I quite looking forward to the Mini
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingSports Talker Eazy's Avatar

I really was dissapointed about the sound issues. Was thinking hey this is pretty good no hiccups and totally worth my time. In all honesty it is a heartbreaker, I think alot of us expect this thing to be perfect and it should be. I'm going to keep playing thunderforce 3 on og hardware... every other game I could probably live with.

Quote Originally Posted by Team Andromeda View Post
    M2 isn't really going to turn down work and if the Mega Mini games are anything like their work on the Contra and Castlevania collections, I have for the Xbox ,then the work is far from sub bar . It's up to a high standard (better than most) and my main complaint is really the lack of scan line filters.

I quite looking forward to the Mini
    What's not sub-par about it?
    The lack? Scanline is the only filter included in those collections. And it's the ugliest scanline filter I've had the misfortune to see.
    Formerly known as -RT

What's not sub-par about it?
    The lack? Scanline is the only filter included in those collections. And it's the ugliest scanline filter I've had the misfortune to see.
    We are not talking Digital Eclipse standards here. Have you played the Contra and Castlevania collections? I still have the original hardware and the games and you're really hard-pressed to see and hear any major differences and I'm talking enough to spoil the game experience. The scanline filter is hardly the worse and it does the job, I also really like being able to play both the Japanese and Western versions of Castlevania IV and Bloodlines.

I'll wait to see what's its like on the Mini at the end of next month, but I'm not really going to worry if the emu is like M2 work for Konami myself
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Toejam is a wiener. Master of Shinobi SEGA-Jorge's Avatar

I can both agree with the Notion that M2 is really good at producing high-quality emulation, but also can agree that it's not always, or ever, perfect. I appreciate it for what it is, and am fine playing their stuff. That being said, large collections of games can be hit or miss. Their SOR, Golden Axe, and Monster Boy collections were great, in my opinion, and were very playable, and came with great added extras.

I don't think that being this critical of the emulation is really helpful, and frankly, this stuff is only noticeable to the most ardent enthusiast. What I'd hate, is to have a vocal minority create a disproportionately large fuss about a facet of the Genesis Mini's emulation that will go unnoticed among the majority of the buying public. The Genesis mini is a great thing for people to have access to. It has a great lineup of games, is accessible, and has a great level of attention put into the emulation. Mucking up the reception of the unit, with nitpicking in regards to this sort of rather minor/trivial inconvenience runs against the point of the unit: Providing a larger part of the gaming public access to a collection of games that shows just why we love it as much as we do.

There's a hard reality that the members of places like this need to come to grips with: We are not the target audience for this sort of stuff. We could be, if our goal was to introduce other people into the hobby. But this is for people that didn't have access to, or refuse to participate in the retro gaming market. People that play on real hardware, on CRTs, with s-video/component/RGB, are not going to find this sort of thing ideal. It's not for them. This is in addition to that.

I for one, am on the fence. I don't really feel like I need this console. I have almost all the games on it. Darius will be dumped. There is options for a hardware enthusiast like me. Which is what I, and most of you are. Hardware enthusiasts. The sound, look, feel, speed of the Genesis is particular to this hardware. Hell, not just this hardware, but a specific, small sub-set of a family of hardware. To most of us, non-TMSS HDG model 1's are the way to go, or alternatively, slightly modified long-board model 2's. It's stuff like that, entries within the hardware family are excluded from our range of acceptable hardware options.

This isn't for us, but it's a good thing to have, for the people that want to experience these games. Let them do that, without the hardware enthusiast gate keeping nonsense, nay-saying, and criticism.

This emulation is more than good enough for, seriously 95% + of the people that actually care.
    Last edited by SEGA-Jorge; 08-25-2019 at 12:58 PM.

Thread Information