Quantcast

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Re-releases of Mega Man: Wily Wars and Toaplan shmups by Retro-Bit Gaming

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert MushaAleste's Avatar

Holy shit. I was at GamesCom last friday. And i somehow totally missed these. I wonder if retrobit had a booth in hall 10.2? Hopefully MUSHA and SNOW BROS re-releases will follow some time next year.

Raging in the Streets Thunderblaze16's Avatar

Damn, I didn't see that they were bringing Undercover Cops too. That game is fun as fuck, hard as fuck too. Only downside is no 2 player like the arcade.

***Visualshock! Speedshock! Soundshock! Now is time to the 68000 heart on fire!***
    http://ban-game-4.gamewise.co/musha-metallic-uniframe-super-hybrid-armor_banner65-61867-full.jpeg

Raging in the Streets Thunderblaze16's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MushaAleste View Post
    Holy shit. I was at GamesCom last friday. And i somehow totally missed these. I wonder if retrobit had a booth in hall 10.2? Hopefully MUSHA and SNOW BROS re-releases will follow some time next year.
    Give me Alien Soldier, Eliminate Down and Pulseman already!
    ***Visualshock! Speedshock! Soundshock! Now is time to the 68000 heart on fire!***
    http://ban-game-4.gamewise.co/musha-metallic-uniframe-super-hybrid-armor_banner65-61867-full.jpeg

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert Virtua Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by thesegadude View Post
    I agree. Why aren't we seeing the Sega logo on these games? And I don't love the top banner on the covers. I'd prefer these re-releases looked exactly like the originals. If these are officially licenses by Sega there is no reason why they can't be identical. I don't mind if Retro-Bit puts there logo on there somewhere but I don't like it being as prominent as it is.

And the quality needs to be absolutely perfect on everything.

Despite my criticism this is amazing news. The more re-releases the better... but they need to be done right.
    I'll be all in or all out depending on how these turn out.
    totally agree.
    without original logos they aren't too different from any other repros on the market.

Retrobit said that they are officially licensed by Capcom, no mention of Sega license, maybe that's the problem.

Death Bringer Raging in the Streets Black_Tiger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Virtua Hunter View Post
    totally agree.
    without original logos they aren't too different from any other repros on the market.

Retrobit said that they are officially licensed by Capcom, no mention of Sega license, maybe that's the problem.
    Officially licensed and professionally manufactured releases are literally the opposite of "repros".
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

Mega Driver Hedgehog-in-TrainingWCPO Agent Gryson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by thesegadude View Post
    If these are officially licenses by Sega there is no reason why they can't be identical.
    Where does it say these are licensed by Sega? These are 3rd-party games. I assume Retro-Bit has not negotiated with Sega to include Sega trademarks on the game packaging.

Their new controllers, on the other hand, are officially licensed by Sega and the packaging shows it.

Hope if they can improve the game:

Megaman Movements and shot speeds to feel more accurate and even the slowdowns (for example a romhacker fixed the constant slowdowns from the Super Ghouls n Ghosts).
    VISUAL SHOCK!
    SPEED SHOCK!
    SOUND SHOCK!
    NOW IS TIME TO THE 68000 HEART ON FIRE!

Shadow of the Beast II - Enhanced Colors:
    http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2275/

Sunset Riders - Enhanced Colors:
    http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2287/

Turrican - Fixed:
    http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2535/

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Tiger View Post
    Officially licensed and professionally manufactured releases are literally the opposite of "repros".
    I think the comment was regarding looks.

Toejam is a wiener. Master of Shinobi SEGA-Jorge's Avatar

The reason I ask, if these companies get the permission to reprint these games, and the sell them at a reasonable price, why would anyone buy an original Musha for for crazy money, rather than just by an official reprint? I already own Musha, so it's a non-issue for me, but I would never recommend a new collector get an original cart. The prices are outrageous, and if this option exists, it's the most reasonable choice.

Think about the folks looking for a copy of Grindstormer. Why would they pay these random prices for a Tengen cart that they will inevitably have to board swap?

I welcome this. The collector's market is garbage, and allowing these games to breath fresh air into the system is a great idea.

Death Bringer Raging in the Streets Black_Tiger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sik View Post
    I think the comment was regarding looks.
    That's what actually makes them stand out against the bootleg market, which is full of packaging made to look like authentic releases from bitd.

If you want to support proper licensed re-releases, they have to follow the rules/law.

Quote Originally Posted by SEGA-Jorge View Post
    The reason I ask, if these companies get the permission to reprint these games, and the sell them at a reasonable price, why would anyone buy an original Musha for for crazy money, rather than just by an official reprint? I already own Musha, so it's a non-issue for me, but I would never recommend a new collector get an original cart. The prices are outrageous, and if this option exists, it's the most reasonable choice.

Think about the folks looking for a copy of Grindstormer. Why would they pay these random prices for a Tengen cart that they will inevitably have to board swap?

I welcome this. The collector's market is garbage, and allowing these games to breath fresh air into the system is a great idea.
    The actual roms contained within collectivle packaging have no collectible value. Collectors pay a premium for vintage materials and collectards buy those new limited editions of common games.

A game fan should play a game through emulation or a flashcart first, then decide what the technicality of owning a new or old version physical copy is worth to them.

Keep in mind that buying used games contributes nothing to the developers and only lines the pockets of resellers.
    Last edited by Black_Tiger; 08-26-2019 at 10:21 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher Stifu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LinkueiBR View Post
    Hope if they can improve the game:

Megaman Movements and shot speeds to feel more accurate and even the slowdowns (for example a romhacker fixed the constant slowdowns from the Super Ghouls n Ghosts).
    That'd be nice, but I wouldn't count on them changing anything about the game. Maybe just the way the data is saved if that's convenient or cheaper for them.
    The thing that bothered me the most about this game is how Proto Man looks compared to Mega Man. On a side note, I remember viewing some nice video that explained why Mega Man's running animation on the NES was superior to its Mega Drive counterpart despite having fewer frames, but I can't find it back. (Edit: found it)
    Last edited by Stifu; 08-27-2019 at 02:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Tiger View Post
    honestly it doesn't look professional made (even if it is, but you can't see the quality of materials and pcb in a photo), like I said the lack of official Sega logos or the blue cartidge that looks like a chinese bootleg...
    I see repro on ebay that looks more authentic.

The artwork is good though.

There is nothing like the original thing.
    It's good to have reprints, especially if they contribute to lower the prices of original items (never happened until now but one can dream) but they have to be perfect in every parts, I have to feel that I'm buying an official and original product, they should be "collectard proof".

Right now all these new releases feels just like decent repros, I imagine for a real collectard these new releases could be just "licensed garbage", and if they will be released in limited quantities, probably these will only make resellers happy (100 for the Glay Lancer licensed-repro, retrogaming prices are totally out of control...).
    Last edited by Virtua Hunter; 08-27-2019 at 10:41 AM.

Toejam is a wiener. Master of Shinobi SEGA-Jorge's Avatar

What is this "collectard" garbage? Not a big fan of singling out any facet of the game collecting/ retro community. Whatever any individual sees in a hobby is purely subjective, it's kinda weird to see enthusiasts push against interest in their extremely niche hobby.

That being said, I do dislike how hard and expensive collecting for this console has become, but there needs to be some consideration put into the nature of the hobby itself. We're looking for old software for old hardware, ideally in good shape, preferably in original packaging. This is a tall order. I picked up a complete Techno Clash last weekend. That was released in August of 1993. That game is 26 years old. Put that into perspective, very few things last that long, have this kind of demand gained no value. I got it for $25. less than half of what it probably sold for. Most games are going for less than than they sold for, so we are not in a complete retro wasteland yet. We have options.

As far as original software goes, I do agree that this is generally something that the hardware enthusiasts should be more interested in, but again, flash carts, repros are exactly the same software. The hardware is what we are concerned with. It's nice to have original software, but it's at the hardware level where all this breaks down. Having access to options for software, be it in digital form, collectable reproduction, or officially licensed reproduction is not bad, It's good for the hobby as a whole. There will be a time that almost all the existing original software will be too expensive to collect at the local/public level, or will start degrading. Encouraging further development, and testing/creating a new market for rereleases of desirable 4th gen software is in everyone's long-term best interest.

Additionally, none. Read: NONE of the repro stuff should look exactly like the old stuff. It should be in addition to your existing collection. It's reprint stuff. It starts its own cycle of value on the secondary market. It should look better than old stuff, have more fun inserts, and additional content in the packaging. Breath life into a new market. Don't simply add to an existing market. Otherwise, yes, anyone can make better repros. R-Type III is a good example. That is MORE desirable than the original, for collectors and new fans alike. I own a boxed R-Type III, and the re-release had me going crazy. It's a good looking, well-constructed package. Re-releases of these games should be handled like special editions of movies we really love. My only request is that Sega give it the green light, so it's at least an official reprint, rather than a glorified repro.

What is this "collectard" garbage? Not a big fan of singling out any facet of the game collecting/ retro community. Whatever any individual sees in a hobby is purely subjective, it's kinda weird to see enthusiasts push against interest in their extremely niche hobby.
    Somebody some time ago started whining that all homebrew was purely for the sake of "collectards" and not aimed against people who want to play games (or they'd be made exclusively for modern platforms according to them) and for whatever stupid reason other members here decided to pick up the term even when they disagreed.

And yes, that's pathetic if you ask me.

Thread Information