Quantcast

Thread: Post 10,000

The Cat in the Hat Shining Hero NeoVamp's Avatar

Default Post 10,000

What better way to celebrate than with a couple videos of games that ended up shaping my love for the Mega Drive.

Altered Beast, the very first Sega Mega Drive game I ever saw (I think).
    It was after I had gone to the beach on a hot summer day in 1990 with friends, and afterwards we went to the friend of a friend's house who wanted to show of his fancy new Mega Drive with Altered Beast.
    I remember not being impressed, and still am not.. poor game imo.

Then at the end of June 1991 came Sonic the Hedgehog, which really made me want to own a Mega Drive. this is when I started saving up money to buy one.
    Ultimately buying it in late November 1991. or was it December?

Third game was Ghostbusters, being a HUGE Ghostbusters fan only 3 years prior as a kid I of course REALLY wanted to have this game.
    My local toy store used to have a Mega Drive displayed in a side window right next to the road that I rode going to High School. sometimes I'd leave home 5 minutes earlier just so I could watch the demo roll.
    I ended up getting a 2nd hand copy for my birthday in 1992. sweet game but pretty hard. (or just long)

No more Mega Drive there now, just soulless Lego ads.

Fourth game was the first Streets of Rage, I had just enrolled in High School for a month or three when one day a kid in my class invited me over to his house to see this sweet new Sega game he bought.
    I remember not being super amazed by the graphics (kid=graphics whore) but the gameplay really drew me in. years later I recorded all the SOR123 samples from real hardware for my friend who made Streets of Rage Remake.
    funny how that might not have ever happened had that kid not invited me that day, so thanks for that! he turned out to be kind of a dick later on but that's how it goes.

At this point I was pretty much hooked, I'd buy gaming magazines (EGM/Gamepro/etc) because I was addicted! I needed to know about the sequel to Sonic, the 2nd Streets of Rage.
    I'd rent video games on Friday after Highschool ended and would play all weekend long, Ecco, Wonderboy, Moonwalker, etc etc.

Ended up meeting this other kid in the third year who had access to this shady warez guy who sold these weird Chinese devices that would let you copy games to 3,5 disks.

we referred to them as a "Copybox" but these days people just call them Copiers. I ended up selling my small collection of MD games and borrowing money from my parents to buy a Super Magic Drive with 24 MEGA POWERS of RAM inside.
    I had a pretty big collection of disks at the end when I went to college and everything faded out for the PSX/N64 generation. which just wasn't as fun. did manage to buy back all the games that I sold though, and about 250 more.

Fun times, and that's my 10,000th post.

Master of Shinobi Mega Drive Bowlsey's Avatar

Congrats, Neo! Nice glimpse into your personal history with the Sega Mega Drive too.

Congrats, interesting story. Everyone's story is different, which is amazing when you consider how many people there really are. Never heard of those copy devices before.

Raging in the Streets Yharnamresident's Avatar

Neo I feel you, after a couple years with my PS1, my mom gave away my entire Genesis/NES/SNES collection because she thought I'd never be interested in them again. I know thats not the same as your situation, but I hate re-buying games I've already owned.
    Certified F-Zero GX fanboy

Thanks guys! was fun writing it all down. really brought back some wonderful memories.
    and yes Blades, those copiers were a pretty big thing back then. well.. as long as you had connections anyway.

I'll never forget picking up my friend in the cold late days of November and riding our bicycles to the warez guy so we could get Donkey Kong Country for the Snes. (friend had a Super Wildcard DX for Snes)
    Nothing like coming back from a 30 minute bicycle trip in a cold winter evening, drinking a cup of hot tea while my friend's brother loaded the game from the disks.

Pirating PSX games with burned cdr discs just didn't compare to the awesomeness of a Chinese console copier.

Stuck in the Past Shining Hero The Jackal's Avatar

Congrats "Vamp on the milestone.

Click image above for my Youtube channel.

Just 3000 more post to go than you posting at the Rusty level

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse813 View Post
    Just 3000 more post to go than you posting at the Rusty level
    I will strife to post more bullshit! I mean.. make excellent high quality posts.

Thread Information