Quantcast

Thread: Spanish language games: Genesis + add-ons?

Japanese Sonic CD FTW!!! Master of Shinobi Ecco's Avatar

Question Spanish language games: Genesis + add-ons?

I'm currently playing revisiting Pier Solar completely in Spanish because I've always wanted to get a handle on the language, and I also felt like revisiting Pier Solar. So I figured I'd learn Spanish once and for all, using Pier Solar.

I can understand a portion of the text already, and whatever I don't, I can translate online real quick. (spanishdict.com)

I'm pretty excited (because over the years, I eventually realized that I needed to learn Spanish by actually using it, rather than trying to learn vocab words and word lists etc.).

OK so what other games have Spanish-lang. versions?

I've only noticed a few so far:

--Sega CD DUNE has multiple languages, inclu. Spanish. I need to revisit this game sometime.

--Ecco PC (for PC only) has multiple languages inclu. Spanish.

What other games include Spanish? Mostly interested in Genesis & add-ons. But I guess other games too if u can recommend something.

All or almost all the great RPGs have their corresponding Spanish translation hack. Soleil (Crusader of centy), Light crusader and Story of Thor were translated back in day (not great translations I guess).
    Last edited by Golpezas; 08-26-2019 at 06:35 PM.
    Ju... Ju... Juuunker... You may stop me but it's not over yet!

Mega Drive

· Astérix and the Great Rescue
    · Astérix and the Power of the Gods
    · Bloodshot
    · Body Count
    · Bugs Bunny in Double Trouble
    · Champions World Class Soccer
    · Cheese Cat-Astrophe Starring Speedy Gonzales
    · Comix Zone
    · Cosmic Spacehead
    · Daffy Duck in Hollywood
    · Ecco: The Tides of Time
    · Fever Pitch Soccer
    · Fantastic Dizzy
    · FIFA International Soccer
    · FIFA Soccer 95
    · FIFA Soccer 96
    · FIFA Soccer 97
    · FIFA 98: Road to World Cup
    · Kick Off 3: European Challenge
    · Light Crusader
    · Marko's Magic Football
    · Marsupilami
    · Olympic Gold
    · Power Drive
    · Psycho Pinball
    · Soleil
    · Spirou
    · The Ottifants
    · The Smurfs
    · The Smurfs Travel the World
    · The Story of Thor
    · Theme Park
    · Tintin in Tibet
    · Ultimate Soccer
    · Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego
    · Where in Time is Carmen Sandiego
    · Winter Olympics
    · World Cup USA 94

Mega-CD

· Battlecorps
    · Bloodshot
    · Dune
    · Ecco: The Tides of Time
    · FIFA International Soccer: Championship Edition
    · Jurassic Park
    · Marko's Magic Football
    · The Misadventures of Flink
    · The Smurfs
    · Theme Park
    · Thunderhawk
    · Tomcat Alley
    · World Cup USA 94

Mega Drive 32X

· Darxide
    · FIFA Soccer 96
    Last edited by Wesker; 08-27-2019 at 05:40 PM.
    http://www.sega-16.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=154&dateline=15683853  53

Japanese Sonic CD FTW!!! Master of Shinobi Ecco's Avatar

^Awesome, thanks!

Did you know that from playing those games, or did u find a list somewhere? I thought that the terms were a bit too common to really search it out...

Also do u guys happen to recommend any particular titles (in Spanish)?

I had a list somewhere else, though it was incomplete, so I filled it with additional games I know myself they are translated too. I also added quite a big portion of language information to the Sega Retro database a while ago, so I have some knowledge about this aspect covering most Sega systems. These are all titles oficially licensed by Sega, hence why Pier Solar and the likes of that aren't included in the list.

You may have noticed that several of these games have very little text, which will regard them useless if you are going to use them as a way of learning the language. For example, Astérix and the Great Rescue is pretty much a translated intro and then some options/level stats/whatever. On the other hand, Astérix and the Power of the Gods has some dialogue during the game, so it would be more useful to you. Obviously the hefty amount of footie/sports titles are not very language heavy.

Overall, since you are playing Pier Solar and I suppose you are into RPGs, the best Mega Drive choices would be Soleil, The Story of Thor and Light Crusader, even though they are all ARPGs but still have quite an amount of text (especially Soleil). You may also try some other games which aren't as lenthy in dialogue but there's some script present in the game and relevant to its development, like the aforementioned Astérix and the Power of the Gods, Cosmic Spacehead, Ecco: The Tides of Time and Tintin in Tibet, and also the Carmen Sandiego games and Theme Park if you like those types of games.

As for the Mega-CD titles, you may find some more interesting titles like Dune (you already mentioned it) and The Misadventures of Flink (yeah, the Mega-CD version was translated while the Mega Drive one wasn't), together with some other games also present on the Mega Drive. You may also find interesting some other games like Jurassic Park, Tomcat Alley and Thunderhawk which have quite some dialogue, but watch out: these games were actually dubbed. Darxide for the 32X also has some little dubbed dialogue here and there. Maybe learning the language based on speech is complicated to you at this point, so you may have to decide if they are worth to you or not.
    http://www.sega-16.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=154&dateline=15683853  53

I suppose you should throw in Arkagis Revolution, albeit for now only the trial version is out (but even that has some dialogue, if you want to start with it). Mind, it's Latin American Spanish* rather than Spain Spanish, so bear that into mind.

*Yes, that varies per country and in fact per province, but there's a lot more in common among all those dialects than against any of them versus whatever Spain speaks. Well, it helps that TV and movies trying to use the same localization for the entire continent helped build up a "neutral" dialect…

Thread Information