Quantcast

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best games by franchise

Quote Originally Posted by SegataS View Post
    Dragon Quest- Dragon Quest XI-S
    Tales of- Tales of Vesperia
    You fucking fascist.

Everyone knows Dragon Quest V is the best in the series.
    05/05/15

The Future Is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingRaging in the Streets SegataS's Avatar

Not anymore. DQXI-S is the new king. DQV can gracefully retire. DQV is now walking into the sunset and giving one last wave goodbye as the band plays an emotional farewell song.

Life!? ... What console is that on?

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

W.....T.......Flute?!
    Last edited by gamevet; 11-20-2019 at 01:43 PM.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Hold up. Mario Kart: Double Dash is the pinnacle of the series honestly. The best balanced characters, items, and craziness without being too rubberband a-la SNES or Wii, and without the game aging like complete crap a la Mario Kart 64. (Seriously, go play it, it's not good anymore.)

Virtual Bart is complete trash as a game. Konami Simpsons arcade game is the pinnacle, and really the only playable Simpsons game next to maybe Hit and Run.

And Castlevania: Rondo of Blood is just far, far better than any other game in the franchise, including Super Castlevania IV. Hidden levels, kickass music, great motifs, epic boss fight, more epic sequel that makes the first game even cooler with more lore. Super Castlevania IV barely has character design.

My more controversial picks:

Best Smash Bros game: - Super Smash Bros 64 - Check out the 19XXTE hack of Smash Bros 64 that adds the extra inaccessible levels from the original. Honestly, it's the best Smash Bros game because it's the most balanced. Gameplay feels the tightest. Can't say the same for any of the sequels.
    Best Street Fighter game: Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike - Again, tightest gameplay, even if most people didn't know any of the characters.
    Best Mega Man game: Mega Man V (Game Boy) - The only Mega Man game I've been able to play through the entire way through and not get frustrated and abandon because of difficulty.

Also, can you really call it best game in the franchise if only one game is good? NiGHTS, Strider, Shenmue, these are hardly series as we know them, with either such little variation, or the subsequent games are exactly the same or remakes.

Surprised no one has said in this thread yet that Streets of Rage 1 is better than 2. I'm personally not in that camp, but I know they exist on this forum. 2 is still the best by far though. 1st game's hit detection is seriously off, especially for the Blaze clone twin bosses outside of Mr. X's door.

I would love to see a "Best Platformer, best racing game, best 2D fighting game, best 3D fighting game, etc." thread, that would be even more interesting as far as opinions go.
    Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    The Sega Saturn was God's gift to humanity. This is inarguable fact!
    Quote Originally Posted by llj View Post
    Count me as someone who never liked the Turbo/Hyper Fighting iterations of Street Fighter 2. The speed ups always struck me as too "Benny Hill".

Feedback Thread: http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...ack&highlight=

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    Surprised no one has said in this thread yet that Streets of Rage 1 is better than 2. I'm personally not in that camp, but I know they exist on this forum. 2 is still the best by far though. 1st game's hit detection is seriously off, especially for the Blaze clone twin bosses outside of Mr. X's door.
    I left Streets of Rage off my list because I honestly don't know which one is my favorite. I went through them all last year, and I like them all a lot, although I will admit that I like the first one so much because of nostalgia and that the second one is the best of the series.

Rebel scum Shining Hero MrMatthews's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    Hold up. Mario Kart: Double Dash is the pinnacle of the series honestly.
    I actually agree with this. I usually write off comments like this as “Well... that’s just the first one you played, and therefore the most nostalgic about.” But I played Super Mario Kart and Mario Kart 64 a LOT when each of them was the new hotness, and Double Dash is still my favorite.

The dual-rider mechanic doesn’t add a LOT to the game, but what it does add is a lot more personality. I’d rather stare at a full-bodied animated character on the back of a go kart than just the back of his or her head for 3-5 minutes at a time. Plus their animations are pretty amusing.

But more importantly, I really like the selection of tracks and characters. I don’t think any Mario Kart game has nearly the same amount of memorable, NON-GIMMICKY courses. Mushroom Bridge and Wario Stadium are both two of my favorites in the entire series.

Duck Tales - Duck Tales 1
    "I wanted to create something that the Famicom wouldn’t have been able to do..." (Kotaro Hayashida)
    Wii is dying. Last game Just Dance 2020. Thanks for all!

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodreign View Post
    That's a pretty bold choice, especially with the Konami arcade game existing.
    The arcade game is not good and vastly overrated. Poorly designed and way too difficult.

Best 2D Mario: Super Mario Bros. 3
    Best 2D Sonic: Sonic 3 and Knuckles
    Best 3D Sonic: Generations
    Best Crash Bandicoot: Warped
    Best Castlevania: IV
    Best TMNT: II: The Arcade Game
    Best GTA: Vice City (San Andreas and V come very close)
    Best Medal of Honor: Underground
    Best Mario Kart: Double Dash
    Best Need for Speed: High Stakes
    Best Streets of Rage: 2
    Best Call of Duty: Toss up between Modern Warfare 2 or Black Ops 1
    Best Wolfenstein: 3D (New Order comes very close)
    Best Doom: 1993 original
    Best Fallout: 3
    Best Tiny Toon game: NES original (Hidden Treasure and Busts Loose come very close)
    Best Simpson game: Hit and Run
    Best Dead Rising: 2
    Best South Park: Fractured But Whole
    Best Rayman: Legends
    Best Pac-Man: Ms. Pac-Man (First two World games come close)
    Best Zelda: Link to the Past
    Best Metal Gear: Solid
    Best Madden: 92
    Best NHL: 93 or 94
    Best NBA Jam: Original Jam
    Best NBA Live: 95
    Some people like companies losing jobs.

8 & 16 bit guy Outrunner Bloodreign's Avatar

The Japanese version of Simpson's arcade is a bit better balanced than the US version. Of course Konami loved money back then, as did a lot of other arcade companies,so beat em ups usually sucked you dry of quarters. But the games made by others for the home console for the Simpsons were poorly made. I think if Konami had the license to do Simpsons games for the home consoles back then, we'd have seen better games for the series.

Nothing on the NES, Gameboy, Genesis, nor SNES for the Simpson's were very good at all.

The Future Is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingRaging in the Streets SegataS's Avatar

Double Dash is the 2nd worst Mario Kart right behind MKWii. Y'all are nuts. Best is MK8 and it's not even my fave.

Life!? ... What console is that on?

Switch

Quote Originally Posted by SegataS View Post
    Double Dash is the 2nd worst Mario Kart right behind MKWii. Y'all are nuts. Best is MK8 and it's not even my fave.
    Fascist confirmed.

You're stepping into fighting territory now man!

And Sorry but Dragon Quest V is still superior to XI "S" but I give credit where it's due that XI 'S" is an amazing RPG in it's own right.
    05/05/15

So all users connected in Wiimmfi are crazy.
    "I wanted to create something that the Famicom wouldn’t have been able to do..." (Kotaro Hayashida)
    Wii is dying. Last game Just Dance 2020. Thanks for all!

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

I wasn’t a big fan of either the N64 Mario Kart or Double Dash, though I might like them more now, than I did back then.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    I wasn’t a big fan of either the N64 Mario Kart or Double Dash, though I might like them more now, than I did back then.
    Bitch, I will blue shell your ass into oblivion!
    05/05/15

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodreign View Post
    The Japanese version of Simpson's arcade is a bit better balanced than the US version. Of course Konami loved money back then, as did a lot of other arcade companies,so beat em ups usually sucked you dry of quarters. But the games made by others for the home console for the Simpsons were poorly made. I think if Konami had the license to do Simpsons games for the home consoles back then, we'd have seen better games for the series.

Nothing on the NES, Gameboy, Genesis, nor SNES for the Simpson's were very good at all.
    I'd take Nightmare and Virtual over the arcade game any day. Maybe Space Mutants and Krusty's Fun House as well.
    Some people like companies losing jobs.

Thread Information