Quantcast

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: 2nd generation console discussion(Intellivision, Colecovision, 2600, Odyssey 2)

Raging in the Streets Yharnamresident's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SegataS View Post
    Superman- Atari 2600. My very first time playing a video game. SO when I was a wee lad at Pre-school the lady who ran it had a son who on occasion volunteered there. He was a good artist and put a TMNT mural on one of the walls. He was also really into gaming. So they had a room set up with Atari and NES consoles. At that age I was really into Superman. So when I saw Superman on Atari I had to play it. I had no idea what I was doing but loved every minute of it. I was 3. It introduced me to the world of video games and I never stopped. Funny enough. I have not played it since then. The only thing I remember is no music and he looked like a flying Spiderman.
    This is one of the strangest threads ever. It took several posts until someone mentioned they played the 2600 first. Usually its 80% of the posts say they grew up with a 2600.

Quote Originally Posted by Team Andromeda View Post
    The Intellivision was my 1st ever console, that I had along with the Philips G7000. I loved the Intellivision and still have it and play it to this very day (I had a video output mode so I can use RCA cables). I wasn't the biggest fan of the Philips G7000 and sold mine for 5 and a ton of games (which I now regret) I did love playing Pickaxe Pete on it mind
    I finally found out the Phillips G7000 is the same as the Odyssey 2(which I posted an Adam Koralik video of). So in case anyone else isn't aware thats the situation.

Quote Originally Posted by BonusKun View Post
    Watching this game gives me an eerie feeling of an early Super Mario Run.
    Its one of the earliest platformers ever, it came out a couple years before Super Mario on the Famicom.

So I've been doing research on the Intellivision. It does seem to be the OG Xbox of its era, it has elements of 3rd gen consoles but overall its a 2nd gen console. I think the Colecovision is a 3rd gen console hardware-wise, but its not a generational leap over the Intellivision. These consoles are strange like that. Though its time for me to try the Intellivision on a emulator.
    Certified F-Zero GX fanboy

The Future Is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingRaging in the Streets SegataS's Avatar

1st and 2nd generation of consoles just seems like the equivalent of the silent film era. Most people seem they didn't star until NES or when movies had sound. When it comes to playing games I just can't play games from that era. Too primitive for me. I do think it's still a very interesting era. It was the wild west. Console generations were not yet defined. Everyone had to try to get in. You could play some competitors games on a competing console. People now talk about SNES vs Genesis and all the marketing gunk both of them used. For many, this was the first of fanboy graphics wars. When I believe in television created the graphics fanboy war.

There was so much going on in a short period of time. I'd argue everything happening in the industry of that era was more captivating than the games themselves. Sure we have Esports now but remember Swordquest? Holy shit! List goes on but what a wild era.

Life!? ... What console is that on?

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sik View Post
    It's the same video chip as the SG-1000 and MSX1 (i.e. TMS9918A). That's probably a good starting point.

Supposedly Nintendo was impressed at the Donkey Kong port for Colecovision and influenced the Famicom's design (although to be fair, the Famicom seemed to have been mostly copying the design from early '80s arcades, down to having separate program and graphics ROMs).
    An old website called Tele-Games used to sell a system called Dina, that was compatible with the SG-1000 and the Colecovision.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

1st and 2nd generation of consoles just seems like the equivalent of the silent film era. Most people seem they didn't star until NES or when movies had sound. When it comes to playing games I just can't play games from that era. Too primitive for me. I do think it's still a very interesting era. It was the wild west. Console generations were not yet defined. Everyone had to try to get in. You could play some competitors games on a competing console. People now talk about SNES vs Genesis and all the marketing gunk both of them used. For many, this was the first of fanboy graphics wars. When I believe in television created the graphics fanboy war.

There was so much going on in a short period of time. I'd argue everything happening in the industry of that era was more captivating than the games themselves. Sure we have Esports now but remember Swordquest? Holy shit! List goes on but what a wild era.
    Arcade games from that era still play fine IMO.

Personally, I enjoy stuff like Defender, Gravitar or the early Namco games, despite being before my time.

People now talk about SNES vs Genesis and all the marketing gunk both of them used. For many, this was the first of fanboy graphics wars. When I believe in television created the graphics fanboy war.
    Not sure about the USA, But in the UK the Atari ST VS Amiga or Zx Spectrum Vs C64 was just as heated. Also, I loved Venture (an amazing game) on the CBS and the likes of Time Pilots and before Mario Manic Minner was giving us ZX Spectrum owners pixel-perfect platform perfection, never mind how utterly incredible Elite was. The Mico computers were full of great games in the early 80's
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

1st and 2nd generation of consoles just seems like the equivalent of the silent film era. Most people seem they didn't star until NES or when movies had sound. When it comes to playing games I just can't play games from that era. Too primitive for me.
    I use to think that was the case, but theres actually a couple game genres that started to exist in the 2nd gen that were popular in the 3rd gen.

Like side scrolling shoot-em-ups. I was playing this on the Intellivision:

Well what do I think of the Intellivision. It definitely gives me a lot of 2600 vibes, and it feels like a true 2nd gen console. If theres a good 3rd party controller for it, then I'd prefer it over the 2600.

I've also been doing research on the Atari 5200. This is another console where the hardware is only a bit behind the NES, so its closer to the NES than the 2600/Intellivision/Odyssey 2.

Worth noting that those genres started in arcades and most of those games on 2nd generation consoles were ports of arcade games (or clones of them). NES hardware was basically early '80s arcade hardware, so it inevitably lent itself to those genres as well (except struggling a lot less at it).

Road Rasher

One of the few systems from that generation that i have never owned is the Bally Astrocade. Said to be a beast compared to the Odyssey2 and 2600, which were released a little later than the Astrocade.
    Have never actually played it, but its port of Wizard of Wor looks like one of the most impressive ones from back then.

Death Bringer Raging in the Streets Black_Tiger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Yharnamresident View Post
    I use to think that was the case, but theres actually a couple game genres that started to exist in the 2nd gen that were popular in the 3rd gen.

Like side scrolling shoot-em-ups. I was playing this on the Intellivision:

Well what do I think of the Intellivision. It definitely gives me a lot of 2600 vibes, and it feels like a true 2nd gen console. If theres a good 3rd party controller for it, then I'd prefer it over the 2600.

I've also been doing research on the Atari 5200. This is another console where the hardware is only a bit behind the NES, so its closer to the NES than the 2600/Intellivision/Odyssey 2.
    The problem with people casually looking into the Intellivision in recent years, is that most people blindly fire up random roms in an emulator or stick a cart into a console and just try to figure games out on the fly.

The whole marketing campaign from bitd wasn't just theatrics, the Intellivision library really does have very unique and deep gameplay experiences which have stood the test of time and the original controller is absolutely necessary for game which make good use of it.

But it's also a prerequisite to read the manual for those special games and learn how to actual play beforehand. In many cases the overlay(s) are also required until you have memorized each button on the numberpad. The software was intended to offer the opposite kind of experience than typical 2600 pick up and play games had. Early on Mattel insisted on avoiding arcade ports, which help foster unique and groundbreaking experiences.

In the end it did still wind up with a lot of arcade ports and arcade style games. They usually play better with a custom controller. I have a Genesis pad and a Neo Geo X stick that I use for those types of games. They each have a break out to plug an Intellivision controller into and both operate at the same time. So you can use the number pad to setup a game if necessary and then just stick to the arcade friendly controller.
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

Hero of Algol

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Black_Tiger again.

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sik View Post
    Worth noting that those genres started in arcades and most of those games on 2nd generation consoles were ports of arcade games (or clones of them). NES hardware was basically early '80s arcade hardware, so it inevitably lent itself to those genres as well (except struggling a lot less at it).
    Cosmic Avenger was an arcade game, but I don't think that River Raid or Mountain King were in the arcades.

A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

VA1LT CHIP ENABLED Master of Shinobi OverDrone's Avatar

Only ever saw 2600 growing up, then ended up with some games when I got my 7800. Some of the late 80's releases like Dark Chambers, Desert Falcon and River Raid 2 were pretty impressive for the machine and were certainly a good few degrees more complex, both graphically and in terms of scope than the majority of the early stuff.

I had Activision's Double Dragon at the time, and although the 2600 should have had no business running a port of that game, the outcome was better than one might expect.

Older arcade ports like Gravitar are still pretty good to mess with, I had fun with that one on some Atari compilation for PS2 years ago.

The Future Is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingRaging in the Streets SegataS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Loggo View Post
    Arcade games from that era still play fine IMO.

Personally, I enjoy stuff like Defender, Gravitar or the early Namco games, despite being before my time.
    Some but mainly referring to console games.

Life!? ... What console is that on?

Quote Originally Posted by saturndual32 View Post
    One of the few systems from that generation that i have never owned is the Bally Astrocade. Said to be a beast compared to the Odyssey2 and 2600, which were released a little later than the Astrocade.
    Have never actually played it, but its port of Wizard of Wor looks like one of the most impressive ones from back then.
    "Bally Astrocade" sounds like a British name but that doesn't actually seem to be the case.

Yes it does appear to be a 2600 with much more horsepower. But it was expensive as hell, costing more than the 40 GB PS3.

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Tiger View Post
    The problem with people casually looking into the Intellivision in recent years, is that most people blindly fire up random roms in an emulator or stick a cart into a console and just try to figure games out on the fly.

The whole marketing campaign from bitd wasn't just theatrics, the Intellivision library really does have very unique and deep gameplay experiences which have stood the test of time and the original controller is absolutely necessary for game which make good use of it.

But it's also a prerequisite to read the manual for those special games and learn how to actual play beforehand. In many cases the overlay(s) are also required until you have memorized each button on the numberpad. The software was intended to offer the opposite kind of experience than typical 2600 pick up and play games had. Early on Mattel insisted on avoiding arcade ports, which help foster unique and groundbreaking experiences.
    I feel you are talking about people in general, but that is what I did, put the Super Cobra ROM in an emulator and hope for the best. I did figure out how to play it after a while and found some enjoyment.

Really the problem is, people born in the 90s trying to get used to how people played consoles during the late 70s/early 80s. Its like someone born in 2002 trying to figure out how to use Windows 3.1.

I've also been researching the RCA Studio II. This console appears to have 1st generation console(pong) graphics, which is strange since this console came out in 1977:

Nah, it used a framebuffer and had a CPU, but it was definitely bottom tier for that generation (and I think the only one that didn't color, aside from Vectrex but that one had a good reason).

The main thing separating 1st gen from 2nd gen consoles is that none of the former used a proper CPU in any form.

Thread Information