Quantcast

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 32X current prices

Nameless One

Quote Originally Posted by needler420 View Post
    To me the completionist is just as much the problem. When people are trying to collect full sets for their OCD reasons others will dangle carrots in front of them.

In the end if they want a complete set even if it means owning shitty games they know are shitty and will never play, they still take the carrot.

At the same time this is what Pat the Nes punk calls storing wealth containers, in which case you're playing a game of hot potato with a intrinsic market that can go up or crash. The way the industry is going I see a lot of hype and artificial inflation so my guess is crash.

To me I can't fathom people who build whole collection sets in just a matter of a few months or years. It's a example of the hobby going mainstream. It's really just disposable income and the fastest way to collecting burnout and regretful purchases. I mean if you're John Hancock that has a good career and probably collecting 30 years to get to where he is.
    I completely agree.

I've been collecting 12 years so far, and for "holy grails" of 32X are well out of my reach as I cannot justify the price. If a collector was to sell-out and offer me their whole collection for the right price and it made sense, sure, but individual purchase - no way, I've settled on reproductions for those three games (T-Mek, Darxide, Primal Rage) because the $3000-$5000 people were asking last I looked just wasn't worth it for me.

It does mean having some shit games, but I try to get the shit games for nil cost, I absolutely loathe paying for sports games so these are last on the list or only where I can pick them up essentially for free (eg. bulk lots).

I'm happy pursuing "completion" because it's not a 5 year project for me, it's a lifelong project, there's other priorities. Maybe I do complete it before I die, or maybe I don't, either way the journey to get there will be fun and interesting and enjoyable. I try make an effort now to play every game I buy before it goes on the shelf.

I'd like ot finish off N64 and MegaCD next. I need 6 titles on N64, and about 20 on MegaCD. MegaCD was possible because a collector sold out and did me a solid deal on a bunch of rare titles as a result, Smurfs, Syndicate etc. If it wasn't for that happening, it would probably be at the back of list. After that will be SMS/DC and GameCube, but that won't happen for many years and I'm happy to wait for something to pop up for the right price.
    Looking for a PAL disc only of Marko's Magic Football if you want to sell me one.

Quote Originally Posted by sashadarko View Post
    Hey, moustache fuck, if you still read this very thread. You're ARE speedy speedy Sonic, right?.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert Virtua Hunter's Avatar

I agree, collecting is a journey.
    The search for the rare game, finding one in perfect condition and at the best deal, and finally playing it.
    Some games required years to get.

I don't understand these obsessive compulsive collectors who complete the sets in just 6 months just to start with another thing.
    And I don't think their collection is something to be proud of on socials, what kind of achievement is to have unlimited money to spend on games and to pay double-triple price to resellers?

Aparts the foolishness of all this, the problem is these people ruin the entire market to everyone.

Nameless One

Spot on, noticed a few people doing that and whilst it's a great acheivement and they've obtained some really rare items, it feels short-lived. Where was the excitement and fulfilment from it, they've raised the prices as a result in most instances and once they're done and over it and haven't acheived the sense of achievement they wanted - they'll sell out and generally cause the market they've raised to crash down a fair bit.

Saw it here with N64 the last few years, so for those of us that are around to collect for a lot longer I guess we just have to be happy with taking the time, and paying what we feel the item is worth regardless of its perceived value in a year or two (whether it goes up or crashes down).

The other issue is insurance!
    Looking for a PAL disc only of Marko's Magic Football if you want to sell me one.

Hey, moustache fuck, if you still read this very thread. You're ARE speedy speedy Sonic, right?.

Raging in the Streets xelement5x's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by shifted View Post
    I'd like ot finish off N64 and MegaCD next. I need 6 titles on N64, and about 20 on MegaCD. MegaCD was possible because a collector sold out and did me a solid deal on a bunch of rare titles as a result, Smurfs, Syndicate etc. If it wasn't for that happening, it would probably be at the back of list. After that will be SMS/DC and GameCube, but that won't happen for many years and I'm happy to wait for something to pop up for the right price.
    Smurfs, Syndicate, and Marko are the ones I'm still looking for as well but same thing, at current prices I'm not sure I'll ever get them. I've got a bootleg of Marko and the other two seem equally unlikely to ever happen, especially since I'm in the US.
    Quote Originally Posted by StarMist View Post
    A spine card is the hymen of a new game assuring its first owner that he is truly her one and only, and of a used game assuring its new owner that whilst she has been played with in the past that play has never been too careless or thorough.

Well I suppose I am a "problem" then. I enjoy collecting for the 32X, snagging anything I can that is 32X related. It's something I enjoy doing. Its a piece of gaming history that I absolutely love. Its not for bragging rights or anything of that nature...the 32X is special to me. I focus on collecting hardware and software for every region. If my personal enjoyment of collecting for something I enjoy is considered a problem, then so be it. I'm not here to ruin collecting or anything for those who enjoy the 32X. If people don't like my collecting everything 32X related and feel it's an issue for rising prices and what not, so be it.
    I am Mr_32X

It depends, if you genuinely enjoy this, there is nothing wrong in collecting (we all do this in the end) especially if you also play games and consoles and not leave them on the shelves only to collect dust.
    Instead collecting just because of OCD, amassing them just as a trophies to show, paying ludicrous price like a fool just because you have money to burn, while losing interest just a week later, surely that's not the way to be a good game collector and it's nothing to be proud of.

I can't deny that I have paid high prices. Such is the way for collecting for the 32X. They are more like treasures to me...wonderful pieces of the 32X history. Each tells their own story. I feel some people collect 32X stuff just to have. It's different for me. I have found items that I never thought existed. It excites me and I feel great joy in acquiring these 32X treasures.

I have seen collectors for other systems that didn't do well. They do so for their love of said system as well. I suppose there is a difference people need to realize between your casual collector, who does so for displaying purposes...bragging purposes...things like that compared to those who collect because of their love for whatever system.
    I am Mr_32X

Nameless One

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher

Sure but that's australian dollars, isn't it after exchange rates like three fiddy

Nameless One

AUD $280, given our dollar is low, would imagine exchange rate from other countries would be favourable.

Thanks for the link

166 EU / 182 USD
    Still pricey judging the general confitions, last year before the rise of prices I found one in similar condition for $80.

The problem is prices of the games continue to rise, at this point even if I found a good deal for the 32X, it would be impossible to get the games (outside the few common ones like Virtua Racing).

Thread Information