Quantcast

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finally took a picture of the more rare titles in my SMD collection

Default Finally took a picture of the more rare titles in my SMD collection

Hey there,
    I have been collecting for a long time, probably 12-15 years and it just hit me that I have never taken a proper picture of my collection or even shared an image with anyone. What good is a collection if you cannot share it with other collectors.
    I personally love looking at other peoples collections, especially if they have some of the titles I like.

But instead of taking a picture of the complete collection (which is around 110 games) I decided to do it a bit different and just make a picture with some of the more rare titles.
    I don't think it's too often you see these titles next to each other, and I thought that would look very cool - all games are complete in perfect condition.

There are still a few games I would like to add to this "rare" collection but wallet and time says no at the moment - but maybe some day I will surrender and get them.

IMG_7209_small.jpg

Nameless One

That is awesome! Congrats mate!

Makes me want to do the same. You have a fair few there I need to track down as well at some point: Mutant League, Aero the Acro-bat 1, Flink, Normy's, Separation Anxiety, Death and Return of Superman, Tintin in Tibet, Virtual Bart and Spider-man.

Need a manual for the European release of Maximum Carnage. Such a pain trying to track down manuals for Sega, no idea why, always find Nintendo manuals, rarely ever any Sega!

I remember not long ago that Adventures of Batman and Robin was going for AUD $40... it's shot up something ridiculous the last year!
    Looking for a PAL disc only of Mega CD Marko's Magic Football if you want to sell me one.

Quote Originally Posted by sashadarko View Post
    Hey, moustache fuck, if you still read this very thread. You're ARE speedy speedy Sonic, right?.

I would love to see them, you can post it in here if you like

Death and return of superman is definitely the most rare title I have. It only pops up on Ebay a few times a year and often in a bad condition without manual or box - So you are in for a long hunt if want to get it

Nameless One

Next time I'm home in front of the collection I'll take some photos of it. Only have an overall one at present.

There's one that's popped up here but at a ridiculous price so figured I'll wait - it'll be found one day! haha

The others I think you're missing are Ecco Jr and Daze before Christmas which I think are Australian exclusives? Sold my spare copies already but will keep an eye out over here for any that pop up for a good price for you if you need.
    Looking for a PAL disc only of Mega CD Marko's Magic Football if you want to sell me one.

Hey, moustache fuck, if you still read this very thread. You're ARE speedy speedy Sonic, right?.

Antiquing Hedgehog Lord QuickSciFi's Avatar

Great collection. I understand rarity can be Region-specific. But after 30 years it's hard not to consider any Genesis/MD game rare; especially mint CIB like those. Great job curating those titles. I hope one day to have a game room worthy of making such additions. Keep up this enthusiasm and hold strong for as long as you can. It's a tough road ahead. Life can be brutal. But your passions keep you moving. Kudos

@shifted - Very nice collection, I definitely see some of the more expensive titles and also a few of titles I am missing. It also looks like you are a big Sonic fan (same here)

It's a very nice offer, but at the moment I have halted my buys... but on the other hand if you stumble upon a nice copy of daze for a good price I could definitely be interested, hehe.
    Although the problem with buying from Australia is the damn Import tax here in Denmark, its insanely expensive to import Sega games - I know from experience :/

@QuickSciFi - Thanks a lot and yes you could definitely argue that many of these titles in CIB are rare, especially when you look at prices on Ebay. I will keep collecting but not at the same speed as earlier, maybe one or two games a year

Nameless One

Quote Originally Posted by Coindrop View Post
    Although the problem with buying from Australia is the damn Import tax here in Denmark, its insanely expensive to import Sega games - I know from experience :/
    I know what you mean, we pretty much have the same now thanks to Harvey Norman's owner.

I've shipped consoles and games all over Europe, US and UK out of AUS for fellow collectors, it's always a juggle between gift and sending insured and what the receiver wants to pay in taxes it seems. If I spot one I'll let you know anyway.

Antiquing Hedgehog Lord QuickSciFi's Avatar

@QuickSciFi - Thanks a lot and yes you could definitely argue that many of these titles in CIB are rare, especially when you look at prices on Ebay. I will keep collecting but not at the same speed as earlier, maybe one or two games a year
    That sounds more than reasonable. Enjoy

Master of Shinobi Mega Drive Bowlsey's Avatar

Hey there,
    I have been collecting for a long time, probably 12-15 years and it just hit me that I have never taken a proper picture of my collection or even shared an image with anyone. What good is a collection if you cannot share it with other collectors.
    I personally love looking at other peoples collections, especially if they have some of the titles I like.

But instead of taking a picture of the complete collection (which is around 110 games) I decided to do it a bit different and just make a picture with some of the more rare titles.
    I don't think it's too often you see these titles next to each other, and I thought that would look very cool - all games are complete in perfect condition.

There are still a few games I would like to add to this "rare" collection but wallet and time says no at the moment - but maybe some day I will surrender and get them.

IMG_7209_small.jpg
    Wow! That is a lot of very rare Mega Drive titles in great condition, congrats! I have just over 150 games in my PAL Mega Drive collection, which includes rare games, but you have a lot of titles there I'd love to get my hands on! I keep meaning to pick up Tintin in Tibet at some point. I was a huge Tintin fan as a boy, so it's a mystery to me why I never got that game, except to say that it's not a very common game at all and I've only seen it like twice in the wild.

As an aside has anyone ever noticed how all the super rare Mega Drive titles all came out fairly late in the console's life? They mostly seem to be blue spine boxes (or red spine in the US) that were released in '94 up until the end of the console's life. I'm guessing that it boils down to the fact that there just wasn't as many copies made of later games as there was for earlier Mega Drive games. Most Konami titles for example, that were released on the console between '93 and '94, seem to command a very high price on Ebay and are considered rare. You only have to look at how much CIB PAL copies of Sunset Riders, TMNT:Hyperstone Heist, Castlevania TNG and Probotector sell for on Ebay to see what I mean.

Raging in the Streets xelement5x's Avatar

Great photo! I'm US based so I never really appreciated the difficultly the collectors in other regions might have until maybe a decade ago when I started looking for a couple region exclusives and the like. The MegaCD also has such a different spread of games that are "rare" compared to the US. I've been looking for a couple of those exclusives for a long time and when they do pop up the price is just astronomical.

Quote Originally Posted by Mega Drive Bowlsey View Post
    As an aside has anyone ever noticed how all the super rare Mega Drive titles all came out fairly late in the console's life? They mostly seem to be blue spine boxes (or red spine in the US) that were released in '94 up until the end of the console's life. I'm guessing that it boils down to the fact that there just wasn't as many copies made of later games as there was for earlier Mega Drive games. Most Konami titles for example, that were released on the console between '93 and '94, seem to command a very high price on Ebay and are considered rare. You only have to look at how much CIB PAL copies of Sunset Riders, TMNT:Hyperstone Heist, Castlevania TNG and Probotector sell for on Ebay to see what I mean.
    This is also odd to me, in the US it seems to be a spread of relatively early and very late games that are high priced and hard to find. I've started looking through my Genesis collection recently to catalog and I'm sometimes amazed by what I already have and don't have.
    Quote Originally Posted by StarMist View Post
    A spine card is the hymen of a new game assuring its first owner that he is truly her one and only, and of a used game assuring its new owner that whilst she has been played with in the past that play has never been too careless or thorough.

Quote Originally Posted by Mega Drive Bowlsey View Post
    That's a good point actually, same for Alien Soldier which was released very late.

What I have also seen is a big jump in price for games that sold for 30-50$ 10 years ago, are now around 100$ today, some even more (TMNT, HAVOC, MCDonald Treasureland, Flink, Mutant league hockey, Bodycount, Aero the acrobat, addams family, Street of rage 3, Virtual bart, castlevania)
    I have registered a lot of auction prices from back in 2010-2012 to now.

I bought my own Streets of rage 3 for 50$ in 2011 and the highest registered action price I saw was in 2018 where it sold for ~300$.
    But some games have also taken a dive in value, like Mutant league hockey.. I bought it at staggering 150$ 3 years ago and earlier this year it was sold for 100$.

I really wanted the World Championship Soccer 2 and I participated in an auction for the game in the beginning of 2019 (first time I have even seen it on ebay CIB in 10 years) but it sold for 2.330$ and that was too much

Nameless One

There are some games that have hit an absolute ridiculous peak, I would attribute that to the influx of collectors trying to complete sets within 6 months. It's almost like it's hit peak "I'm into retro" frenzy, and I would expect it to dive once these buyers thin out and the supply/demand aspect drops back to a normal late. Well over-inflated at the moment.

Noticed it with N64, some games went from $250 CiB to $600 CiB to $1200-1800 depending on mintyness. Some have already dropped back down to $500-$600 1-2 years later as the market as thinned out.

Pirates of Dark Water on MegaDrive I picked up years ago for $80 or so, now in the multiple hundreds. Same with Time Killers and Body Count. Alien Soldier as well, saw someone trying to sell it for $900 yet I swear it was a $150-$250 game not long ago.

I suspect it's a bit of a waiting game til prices settle back down and go back to a "normal" rate of inflation.

Raging in the Streets xelement5x's Avatar

I really think that at least in the US strong economy has helped a lot too. People feel more stable and are a bit more loose with the cash. When another correction does occur, I can imagine many people will be offloading the high value things quickly and that will drop the prices to a degree.
    Quote Originally Posted by StarMist View Post
    A spine card is the hymen of a new game assuring its first owner that he is truly her one and only, and of a used game assuring its new owner that whilst she has been played with in the past that play has never been too careless or thorough.

Quote Originally Posted by shifted View Post

Pirates of Dark Water on MegaDrive I picked up years ago for $80 or so, now in the multiple hundreds.
    Speaking of Pirates dark water, it just sold today for around 500$ in a fairly bad condition - damn.

Attachment 15108

Toejam is a wiener. Master of Shinobi SEGA-Jorge's Avatar

I have so many Genesis games, but they are mostly loose, it bums me out a bit, because complete CIB games are great. Trying to get them complete where I can. These collections are impressive.

Thread Information