Quantcast

Thread: Mega Drive turning off, AC adapter issue?

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert Virtua Hunter's Avatar

Genesis Mega Drive turning off, AC adapter issue?

Hello

Today I had a problem on my Pal Mega Drive II.
    After a long session, the console turned off by itself.

I don't think it's an issue with the console itself since I was able tu turn it ON after a few seconds, but maybe the heat was one of the cause?

My guess is it's either the AC adapter (it's the original one so it's old) or the AC connector / AC input (the connection is pretty weak and sometimes even simply moving the AC cable can cause the console to turn off).

In case do you suggest to change the entire Ac adapter or try to see if this one has some electric issue and try to fix it?
    If I have to change it, do you suggest to get another original Sega adapter (that probably has 25 years old too) or try with a standard compatible ac adapter that you find on ebay?

In case instead it's the AC input on the console, is there a way to fix it?

Thank you in advance for any info and advice.

Probably the DC jack is loose. Just resolder it.

The system shutting off when you move the cable is a dead giveaway that it's a broken joint on the AC socket. Just disassemble and add some fresh solder to the underside of the socket and problem solved.

The AC adapter could also be faulty as it might be putting out excessive power and is what is causing the joints to heat up and likely ended up breaking.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert Virtua Hunter's Avatar

As I feared, I still have to practice more with the solder before attempting a repair on MD. Is there a guide around for this repair in particular?

In case of Ac adapter, is it best to change it with another Sega original, or any standard thid party ac adapter could work?

Yesterday the issue happened a second time.
    This time I noticed that the console was still on (probably was the same the first time but didn't notice because I was in a hurry), only the screen went black.
    Pressed the reset button and the game restarted as normal.

In both case I was using a Super Mega Key adapter, I don't know if this could be also one of the reasons.
    Today I cleaned the Mega Key contacts (they were clean but tww pins had little oxidation) and for now the issue did not reappeared.

Thread Information