Quantcast

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mega CD games with regional differences

Nameless One

Default Mega CD games with regional differences

Now my Mega SD has arrived Iím busy loading images onto an SD card.

I donít have space to put an image from every region on the SD card so I only want duplication if there is an interesting regional variance (so excluding just the language and title screen differences).

I live in the UK so preference order is Europe, NA then Japan.

Only ones I have so far:

Sonic CD (Europe and US version due to different soundtracks)
    Final Fight CD (Marginal censorship differenceís plus Pyronís Colour hack).
    Thatís all I can find up to yet any others ?

Iíve replaced the Game Can versions with the translated patched versions so they are playable and the Fahrenheit no key disc patch from Romhacking.net.

Thank you for any suggestions

Master of Shinobi

Silpheed: Minor censorship and changes in background dialogue in Europe and possibly US version. Japanese version is uncensored.
    Black Hole Assault: The Japanese version's intro is in English but has some different dialogue to the other versions.

VA1LT CHIP ENABLED Master of Shinobi OverDrone's Avatar

Keio Flying Squadron: I've heard they turned the collision detection off on background scenery for the western versions. The stage introduction screens were removed as well.

Popful Mail: Difficulty balance had a hatchet taken to it for the Working Designs version. IIRC there is a patch now that restores the balance back to the JP original.

Quote Originally Posted by OverDrone View Post

Popful Mail: Difficulty balance had a hatchet taken to it for the Working Designs version. IIRC there is a patch now that restores the balance back to the JP original.
    I much prefer the USA version, the voice acting is much better and I like the better scrolling on the clouds. I seem to remember censorship in Lunar II with stuff like nipples being taken out.

BTW Stu if your Mega Drive is set to 60Hz you'll get some issued with the Pal versions of games like Thunder Hawk, Batman Returns, Sensible Soccer having issues (just like on a real Mega CD) so get the USA ISO's
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

Nameless One

[QUOTE=BTW Sut if your Mega Drive is set to 60Hz you'll get some issued with the Pal versions of games like Thunder Hawk, Batman Returns, Sensible Soccer having issues (just like on a real Mega CD) so get the USA ISO's[/QUOTE]

No Iím at good old 50Hz, Iíve always played at this speed so modding to 60Hz has never been a priority. The only time it tends to be a problem is with NTSC exclusive FMV games.

Quote Originally Posted by Sut View Post
    No Iím at good old 50Hz, Iíve always played at this speed so modding to 60Hz has never been a priority. The only time it tends to be a problem is with NTSC exclusive FMV games.
    It's not really modding. If you're Mega Drive is switched to be able select either 60 Hz or 50Hz, some Pal Mega-CD was optimized or games like Sensible Soccer and ThunderHawk check to see what speed the Mega Drive is running compared to the region of the game and won't get past the title screen (unless you switch to 60Hz after the title screen)
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Master of Shinobi

Wyh do you want to stay in 50hz slowdown ? I understand the games are more difficult for us european gamers if you improved your skills in 50hz back then, but still...
    Lists of MD games: officially licensed (~925) @ cartridge sizes @ Top 5 @ Top 250 (controversial) @ Sonic hacks @ best title screens @ Arcade ports (150) @ best European

Nameless One

A big part of retro gaming is nostalgia and a surprising amount of muscle memory for games you played a ton of Ďback in the dayí.
    Playing games I used to play at 50Hz and trying to play them at 60Hz just throws me off.

itís hard to explain, I guess it just feels less Ďauthenticí.

Sol Feace too. JP version has PCM sound FX excised out of the western releases for whatever reason.

Sol Feace too. JP version has PCM sound FX excised out of the western releases for whatever reason.
    There weren't PCM sounds, but extra sound effects recorded directly to the CD and played via CDDA . I agree mind ,why they taken out,makes no sense

I see to remember the Japanese version of Robo Aleste having a extra scailing effect used on the logo on the title screen . I also think the USA version of Switch/Panic is censored
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Yeah, CDDA

JP Robo Aleste has minor censorship relating to the bathing scene with the blue haired chick too I believe?

Other differences in Dennin Aleste are the popcorn (one hit kill) enemies have different sound effects when defeated, and it takes longer to fully power up your standard weapon when compared to the U.S. release.
    Last edited by JFLY; 09-18-2019 at 03:52 PM.

Raging in the Streets xelement5x's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Team Andromeda View Post
    I much prefer the USA version, the voice acting is much better and I like the better scrolling on the clouds. I seem to remember censorship in Lunar II with stuff like nipples being taken out.
    I agree, the translation is what makes the game in Popful. The Unworked versions though keep the translations and just change the enemy balancing changes that WD did. Personally I am fine with the US version, but compared to the JP version the enemies have a lot more health.
    Quote Originally Posted by StarMist View Post
    A spine card is the hymen of a new game assuring its first owner that he is truly her one and only, and of a used game assuring its new owner that whilst she has been played with in the past that play has never been too careless or thorough.

Master of Shinobi

Keio Flying Squadron: I've heard they turned the collision detection off on background scenery for the western versions. The stage introduction screens were removed as well.
    Keio Flying Squadron had extra stage introductions where a racoon comes in and opens a giant scroll with the level title in it, which is then read out loud. Those were removed. But the graphic intros with Rami are intact in the English version. The stage name screen was between the graphic intros and the loading screens (the one with the dragon falling asleep and getting slapped).

Worth noting that the first level has an audio track recorded for a graphic title screen too, despite the first level not getting an intro like that. It is even translated on the English discs.

Other changes are:
    - JP version has every enemy flash in their opposite colour when hit. English versions does not have them flashing. Bosses flash in all white in both versions.
    - JP version has the background objects kill you if you touch them. English versions still have collision detection but they won't kill you, unless you get squashed against the screen as it scrolls. This makes the JP version significantly more difficult.
    - JP version has collision detection on the entire ceiling, on the part where you have to shoot down the train. It stops bullets and kills you if you touch it. It makes that entire part much more difficult; and iirc it is the only place in the game where the English version removes *all* collision detection.
    - JP version has two extra demonstrations before you start the game, they explain some of the enemies. English version only retains the one that has the character profiles.
    - JP version has an extra FMV cutscene at the end of the train level, before the boss fight. The tower you enter at the end of the level is a library, where Rami learns that the Ark she is pursuing is in fact Noah's Ark, that was used to save all the animals from a flood. Then the library gets blasted to bits by the US Navy, and then you get the sprite-based cutscene. English version removes this FMV entirely, most likely because of the religious reference.

There might be other changes I forgot, it's been a while. I can still 1cc the US version on hard, but I'm not sure if I ever managed to do so for the JP version, it's so much more difficult...

Quote Originally Posted by xelement5x View Post
    I agree, the translation is what makes the game in Popful. The Unworked versions though keep the translations and just change the enemy balancing changes that WD did. Personally I am fine with the US version, but compared to the JP version the enemies have a lot more health.
    I don't get why WD always gets called out for that when lots of Mega Drive games from Japan had their difficulty increased. I felt there was a move in SOA, that after a lot of reviewers we saying games like Sonic and Sonic II, Mickey Mouse were too easy to finish, SOA looked to up the difficulty levels . I love Popfulmail and feel WD did the better job, their translation looks better and features much better voice acting IMO.
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Thread Information