Quantcast

Thread: Trying to remember a potential SEGA CD game...

Sega CD Trying to remember a potential SEGA CD game...

Well, here goes.

Many years ago, back when Toys R Us was carrying SEGA CD games, there was a game I used to see at a local store that to this day, I still can't find any info on. Here's what I have, as best I can remember...

- It looked like a Sci-Fi strategy game.
    - The graphics were pretty basic by Genesis/SEGA CD standards.
    - I think it had something to do with satellites (perhaps in the plot?).
    - I believe the game had Moth, Agoth, Amoth... something like that in the title. The letters "o-t-h" is something I'm pretty sure was part of it.
    - It may not have been an official release. I recall the long blue box not really looking the same as the others (like it was a bit simplified) and it was only ever available on a shelf (not the typical "take a paper slip" method TRU used). I'm seriously questioning if it was some exclusive unofficial thing that TRU was offering.
    - The cover art, if I recall, had kind of tank/tank-like spaceship on it that was just sitting there in a kind of spotlight setup (no real background, etc.) at an angle. It didn't have a lot of color, but it wasn't quite black and white. And no, it wasn't Loadstar's art... I checked
    - There is a chance this could be a game for a different system that had its packaging be similar to the SEGA CD's, but I'm still leaning on it being a SEGA CD game of some kind.
    - The game was in English and the box was similar in size to the big SEGA CD boxes.
    - The ship was presented kind of similarly to the ship on the cover of Zero Wing. Not in design (the ship was kind of bullet-shaped/Robotica-like in terms of design), but in how it was sitting prominently displayed.

I know at least of few of you will think I'm misremembering something, or that it was some strange fever dream... but I know this game exists. It was there for quite a few months and more than once, I thought about getting it when the SEGA CD stuff was being clearanced out. But despite it being cheap, it just didn't appeal to me as I read the back.

So yeah, that's what I can remember. If anyone can help me piece this blasted puzzle together, it would be appreciated
    Last edited by The Coop; 09-25-2019 at 02:26 AM.

Currently Reviewing: Galaxy Force (SMS)
    Coming Up:TF3 Side by Side
    Done:

Death Bringer Raging in the Streets Black_Tiger's Avatar

Third World War?
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

I own that game, so I can promise you that's not it.

Done:

Could it be a RPG instead of strategy game? There were a bunch of RPG games with subpar graphics (they were often ports from computers that could barely cope with any graphics). Also, don't discard that it could have been a PC Engine CD game.

I'm going to guess it's a Japanese game? There don't seem to be any games with "oth" in the title, but "oh" is a common way to romanize the long o vowel.

Quote Originally Posted by Sik View Post
    Could it be a RPG instead of strategy game? There were a bunch of RPG games with subpar graphics (they were often ports from computers that could barely cope with any graphics). Also, don't discard that it could have been a PC Engine CD game.

I'm going to guess it's a Japanese game? There don't seem to be any games with "oth" in the title, but "oh" is a common way to romanize the long o vowel.
    It was in English to the best of my knowledge, as I recall being able to read the back and the title. Also, the box was about the size of the big SEGA CD boxes. That's why I've been thinking SEGA CD or perhaps a PC game (especially since it had a lot of flat blue that was similar to the shade on the SEGA CD boxes).

I also recall that the cover art was pretty colorless. Not true black and white, but a lot of metallic gray on the ship and whatnot.

One more thing. The ship was presented kind of similarly to the ship on the cover of Zero Wing. Not in design (the ship was kind of bullet-shaped/Robotica-like in terms of design), but in how it was sitting prominently displayed.

Done:

It was probably a 3DO game.
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingSports Talker rideordie71's Avatar

Starblade?
    Star Flight?
    Loadstar?
    Last edited by rideordie71; 09-25-2019 at 01:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Tiger View Post
    It was probably a 3DO game.
    Did ToysRus sell 3DO? I dont recall that.

They definately didnt sell import games so it was surely English.

Might it have been Iron Helix?

Raging in the Streets goldenband's Avatar

You can page through all the Sega CD covers here:

http://www.ratigators.com/ui.asp?c=SEGACD

I'd agree that Iron Helix seems like the closest fit in some ways. There's no official Sega CD release with "oth" in the title, but at least Iron Helix has "ON H", so maybe a well-placed sticker could have...?

Iron Helix was the first one I checked, but the description of the graphics is pretty much the opposite.

It wasn't Novastorm ?
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher Jake Armitage's Avatar

Maybe "Heir of Zendor" for the Saturn? Fits a lot of the OP's criteria.

s-l1000.jpg
    Last edited by Jake Armitage; 09-27-2019 at 11:56 AM.

Thread Information