Quantcast

Thread: Dreamcast emulation

Default Dreamcast emulation

Hi all,
    Been quite awhile since I've been active around here. I have a question about some of the discs I've seen around that run emulators on the DC. I'm not a big emulation guy, so I'm not up to date on this stuff (obviously). I've seen a Colecovision disc on ebay, which I might get, but does anyone know if there is an Intellivision disc? Also, do I need a modded DC? I have a standard American console with no mods.

I know it's probably not even the best way to emulate those consoles at this point, but I have so many games and consoles, I'd like to just get a couple quick easy discs that I can use on the DC which is usually hooked up and ready to go.

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

I believe you can just use a Gameshark Lite disc to play burned games.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Stuck in the Past Shining Hero The Jackal's Avatar

Actually you should be able to just pop the disc in and play it just fine on a retail console; the Dreamcast's copy protection was defeated very early on. Only later consoles blocked the exploit from working.

Most of the games released released now on disc that you can buy from indie companies like GunLord etc use the very same exploit to get their games to run.

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Jackal View Post
    Actually you should be able to just pop the disc in and play it just fine on a retail console; the Dreamcast's copy protection was defeated very early on. Only later consoles blocked the exploit from working.

Most of the games released released now on disc that you can buy from indie companies like GunLord etc use the very same exploit to get their games to run.
    I believe that the makers of Gunlord would have run into problems, if their game didn't work on later consoles. They probably used the same exploit that you could do with a Game Shark Lite.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MIL-CD
    Last edited by gamevet; 09-28-2019 at 02:56 AM.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Thread Information