Quantcast

Thread: Where's my damn MD/Gen Wheel Sega?

The Cat in the Hat Shining Hero NeoVamp's Avatar

Default Where's my damn MD/Gen Wheel Sega?

Huh, where is that from? I wasn't aware of any official steering wheel for Mega Drive.

The Saturn does have a steering wheel and its shape is very similar to that (in fact the only difference seems to be that they removed the Mode button), so I wouldn't be surprised if that's what happened to it… You can't really use it for existing games, but homebrew and hacks could make use of it using a Saturn to Mega Drive adapter I guess (pinout documentation if somebody wants to make one). The Saturn docs say that the device letter for the ROM header is "S", if anybody cares.

(tangent: kind of wishing they had gone with "W" instead so I could use "S" for the Saturn controller instead :​v but eh)

EDIT: but if you want something ready-made, the Per4mer Wheel exists too (albeit nobody seems to remember how it works, it may be a glorified turbo D-pad).

Toejam is a wiener. Master of Shinobi SEGA-Jorge's Avatar

I was going to say, I really don't really know what we would have used it for on the console, then I thought it would be fun to play Outrun, Virtua Racing, and Super Monaco GP II. There is some pretty fun racing games on the console, Formula 1 by Domark is criminally underrated.
    Last edited by SEGA-Jorge; 09-28-2019 at 11:11 PM.

The Cat in the Hat Shining Hero NeoVamp's Avatar

Maybe the plan was to release it right after Virtua Racing, but then the sales guys were like "People are complaining about Virtua Racing's high pricetag.. we don't think they'd shell out money for a wheel after that."
    so they decided to just change the wiring and release it for the Saturn.

Toejam is a wiener. Master of Shinobi SEGA-Jorge's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NeoVamp View Post
    Maybe the plan was to release it right after Virtua Racing, but then the sales guys were like "People are complaining about Virtua Racing's high pricetag.. we don't think they'd shell out money for a wheel after that."
    so they decided to just change the wiring and release it for the Saturn.
    Race wheels in general were not really big thing at the time. I don't think they were a staple accessory until the 5/6th generation of games, meaning, I don't think a single developer was making design/development choices with that alternative input in mind. Certainly not like it is now, where developers work closely with companies like Logitec/Thrustmaster/Fanatec to ensure compatibility.

It helps that nowadays the norm is analog controls so you can just make a wheel behave like the standard controller. Back then they had to have their own custom protocol and hence games had to be explicitly programmed for them.

Honestly though, I think that what happened is that it probably took a bit too long and so it ended up being pushed to the Saturn instead. The wireless 6-button controller is already there which implies this was late in the console's lifetime already, anything that didn't already come out by then was pretty much doomed if it didn't get repurposed.

EDIT: …and yeah, that's Virtua Racing in the background.

Yeah that steering wheel was initially promoted along with Virtua Racing.
    At least one US magazine showed an image of it along with Virtua Racing, and it's in a Japanese magazine or two, and I think I recall seeing it in a flyer or manual of a Japanese Mega Drive game.
    The subsequent disappearance of the wheel was one of the reasons I didn't purchase Virtua Racing at release, I was so disappointed there wasn't going to be a proper steering wheel with Virtua Racing. (Heavenly Symphony was another disappointment... come to think of it, maybe that's the other game I remember the wheel previewed with.)

Has anyone confirmed that the XE1-AP doesn't work with Virtua Racing?

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher

I'm still hoping for Tectoy to find a warehouse full of the guitars and then to jam it out on Genesis Hero.

Thread Information