Quantcast

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Music: Best Places to Download? Also: Do People Still Do This?

Japanese Sonic CD FTW!!! Master of Shinobi Ecco's Avatar

Question Music: Best Places to Download? Also: Do People Still Do This?

Years ago, I was a huge fan of Napster, and then later, Limewire. I downloaded a very healthy library of music. I'd also rip CD's into my digital library, and I even downloaded OTHER PEOPLE'S libraries a few times.

So since Limewire disappeared, I have not been aware of comparable sites.

I think it's fair to say that most people do not download music for free anymore. Please correct me if I'm wrong, lol. I think people are mostly paying a small amount for each song, from some sites, or they're paying a small subscription fee, or whatever.

I've been thinking that I'd like to fill out my Beatles library, for example, so I'm wondering what sites people recommend?

When I search for the topic, a bunch of pay-sites come up, so if I have to pay a subscription somewhere, I'll probably go with Amazon Music (since I'm a fan of Amazon itself).

ALSO do people even bother to amass a personal library of music anymore?

The well-known free sites are obviously long-gone, with a bunch of legal pay-sites now taking their place.

But also, internet and tech has advanced so much that I have a feeling that most people(?) won't even want to bother to have their own digital collection, at all, since they can just stream music from YouTube, or Pandora, etc.

Plus the whole idea of keeping a digital library, went along with the long-gone popularity of the iPod... which has been all but forgotten and replaced by iPhones with streaming internet.

So, does anyone still even bother, or not?

I do quite appreciate having my own digital music that doesn't involve using the internet (like YouTube, with its ads) everytime I want to listen to music lol.

How about u guys?

Master of Shinobi Mega Drive Bowlsey's Avatar

I've been a Spotify customer for the last four years and haven't looked back. No need for CD's or dodgy download sites of the past like Limewire. All my music in one easy place that I can access on my phone, laptop or PS4. Yes you pay for it, but I'm happy to pay for access to my favourite music just for the sheer easy convenience of having everything in one place and only a couple of clicks away. I'm also an Amazon Prime customer and they have a good music service too. Choose the one that best suits your needs. The only issue I sometimes have is when Spotify loses the rights to a certain song, or a certain artist, and then that music is taken down from your library. Still, even when that does happen you can always fall back on possibly the biggest collection of music on the internet, in the form of Youtube. All in all the pros far outweigh the cons I think.

^Thanks but specifically I want to download and own music. I wouldn't mind paying for a subscription service, if necessary.

But I DON'T just want to stream music, only. (which is what I think Spotify is, correct?)

Amazon Music does mention downloading music, but I haven't tried it yet, to see how it is.

If you (or others) legit prefer to stream music online, instead of legit downloading and owning music, that's a personal preference I guess lol.

But I've already had a nice huge digital library for years, and it's awesome to play music without having to mess around with the internet, in any way. I can play / loop a song or an album, right off my hard drive. I can set it up and let it play indefinitely, uninterrupted.

And sure YouTube has almost anything now, but there's also no way to stop breaking up the experience with its ads, plus just all the visual clutter and junk of the site, with all its suggestions, images, glitchiness of the damn site, etc.

I've seen people use Pandora and that's cool for what it is, but I don't think it involves downloading, plus by its nature, Pandora is random.

Anyway I don't know if people really don't care about owning music in any form, anymore lol. I suspect that young folks may have that approach, who have grown up with streaming web.

But even if it's all just personal preference, the idea (of owning a nice personal digital library of music) sure was popular during the iPod years, and I'm still a big fan of the concept. Even if no one else, lol.

Also there's Apple's music service (whatever it's called exactly) but I think it always sells each song for one dollar IIRC.

Which might sound fine for one song, but that would add up, if there was any number of songs wanted.

For example, if I could find 50 Beatles songs that I don't have, I'm not quite sure I'd want to play $50 for that lol. I mean by that point, I might as well be buying the physical albums, and ripping them myself. Then I'd own them physically plus digitally.

So yeah, I think Apple's $1-per-song sounds like nothing at first, but it's actually too expensive IMO.

Like even 15 songs, for $15, seems too much, when I could buy a physical album for that price lol.

Also, do people really not download music for free, anymore, from anywhere online?

I've heard of pirate bay, or something? Is that worth messing around with, or other sites like it?

Apologies if this is too far off-topic, as this is not really about music. But I wanted to respond to having a digital collection. I do have one for most of my tv shows, movies, games and comics. Most of that stuff is backups of stuff I have, not all, I'll be honest there. But as much as has been possible. Also all the games I own on GoG, for example. I just don't like the idea of having to depend on an online service, I like the thought I can play them no matter what.

As for music, I downloaded an album for the first time in years - from PirateBay, yes. It was the newest Sonata Arctica album, really wanted to try that one. I don't feel bad about it, I would have bought it if I had liked it. I didn't. I don't even know why I bothered, most songs are probably already on YouTube.

I can't honestly say I've bothered with music at all in the last few years, but many years ago I had some bad experiences with pirated music and I just found it more convenient to buy it legitimately. Doesn't anyone else find pirated music to be a bit of a minefield? Maybe its just me, but I never had any trouble with Amazon for downloaded music.

Its not my intention to take this thread too far off topic, but does anyone even own anything at all now? Streamed music, streamed video games, streamed movies and all the hardware running it is rented/leased.

Had I been told 20 years ago that people would be so averse to owning things I would never have believed a word of it. At least no one in my generation will end up on an episode of Hoarders, but maybe in 30 years time I'll be the cool one for having a CD collection.

^Yep I'm leaning toward trying Amazon's music service. I think there's a free month and then it's a cheap monthly fee, like $7 or something. Which would be worth it if there's a good amount of downloadable music. (But not, if there's not.)

Yeah I do have a feeling that owning music in any form, has been going extinct, with the loss of Napster & Limewire, the vanishing of the iPod, replaced w/ iPhone with streaming web.

I still love owning a nice digital library though. It's great to play music without the internet being involved.

While I've become pretty familiar with YouTube in recent years, like I said earlier: You can't stop breaking up the experience with its 3-second ads, 2 in a row, in between practically every video.

Plus streaming YT on my phone is cool when there's a web connection, but driving through town, my phone loses its connection, as I drive.

Plus I don't think YouTube even has the option to loop a vid, without having to manually push the restart button, each time lol.

In contrast, my office / apartment has been looping some relaxation music that I do actually own, digitally, and it's so great. I can loop a relaxing song to play all night as I sleep, for example, straight off my HDD. (It's actually been music from Ecco the Dolphin on Sega CD.)

I also might try Google Play, which says that it includes downloading music. Not sure how it works for pricing etc.

Media

Also I still like owning CD's too. Still play CD's in my stereo occasionally, although digitally owning / playing music brings it to the next level of total convenience of use.

If it really becomes completely passe to own music etc. then... It will inevitably make a rebound to own CD's etc. as a "retro" hobby lol.

Also, if people are so content with just streaming all their media (and owning nothing), then it makes me wonder if they have a completely better internet connection, than I've ever had, lol. (I've heard that the US lags behind Europe etc. re: general wireless internet connectivity, plus general cell phone connectivity, etc.)

But like I said, I can't drive through my little city without my iPhone losing its web connection.

Heck I can't even get my iPhone to rock a reliable phone call, while sitting in one spot, lol.

For another illustration of why it's important to own a personal digital library:

Years ago, in 2008 or 2009: My girlfriend of the time, and I, visited the Rocky Mountain National Park in Colorado. And we played our personal music libraries, from our iPods, plugged into the car stereo. The Rockies are beautiful to visit, and I know that there was no option to access the internet in any form, while driving through those mountaintops. No radio.

So in that specific time and place, our iPods were awesome. It was literally the only choice of music, in any form.

If we had been fans of only streaming music from the web, then we'd be out of luck in the Rockies, with no web. We'd be driving in silence.

IDK, maybe other countries just have such better wireless internet everywhere lol.

Master of Shinobi

People still download music, they just moved to using torrents. In fact a torrent tracker software was made specifically to handle the groupings necessary for music (one album can have multiple torrents, one artist can have multiple albums, etc). That happened way back after Oink went down in... 2006 I think. The site that pioneered that has since went down, and another one of comparable size replaced it. Both sites have grown to the size that they are closer to a digital archive of human arts, than a music piracy site... the amount of rare content on them is incomparable to anything.

As for speeds: it is faster to download something from those sites, than it is to pick a CD from my shelf and putting it in my computer for playback. And that's for the FLAC rip, not even a smaller mp3.

To support the artist, I only use legal ways to download music, and I've found these to be the best platforms:

Amazon - Lots of $5 albums, almost all popular music.

Bandcamp - More indie music but has really grown in adoption by a lot of artists selling music files directly. Many artist put music on there for free as well.

Traxsource - Expensive, but a great place to find house and dance music.

CDs - Ripping CDs in 2019 sounds tedious, but CDs have really dropped in value since streaming has become a thing, allowing for lots of thrift stores and music stores really clearing out great stuff for pretty cheap I've noticed.
    Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    The Sega Saturn was God's gift to humanity. This is inarguable fact!

Feedback Thread: http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...ack&highlight=

Quote Originally Posted by zyrobs View Post
    People still download music, they just moved to using torrents. In fact a torrent tracker software was made specifically to handle the groupings necessary for music (one album can have multiple torrents, one artist can have multiple albums, etc). That happened way back after Oink went down in... 2006 I think. The site that pioneered that has since went down, and another one of comparable size replaced it. Both sites have grown to the size that they are closer to a digital archive of human arts, than a music piracy site... the amount of rare content on them is incomparable to anything.

As for speeds: it is faster to download something from those sites, than it is to pick a CD from my shelf and putting it in my computer for playback. And that's for the FLAC rip, not even a smaller mp3.
    thanks, PM sent

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    To support the artist, I only use legal ways to download music, and I've found these to be the best platforms:

Amazon - Lots of $5 albums, almost all popular music.

Bandcamp - More indie music but has really grown in adoption by a lot of artists selling music files directly. Many artist put music on there for free as well.

Traxsource - Expensive, but a great place to find house and dance music.

CDs - Ripping CDs in 2019 sounds tedious, but CDs have really dropped in value since streaming has become a thing, allowing for lots of thrift stores and music stores really clearing out great stuff for pretty cheap I've noticed.
    Thanks

Yep I'll prob try Amazon, I would just be disappointed if I couldn't find stuff, like the Beatles' more obscure songs. Napster & Limewire used to be so wonderful to type in just about ANY song name, and have like 100 choices come up, for any one song lol.

Re: Torrent sites: I'd like to figure out how these work. I've tried downloading stuff a few times but then I wouldn't know what to do with the resulting downloaded file. (Weird file type IIRC.)

re: Ripping CD's: My Mac doesn't have a disc drive, and my Windows PC's are currently dead, but yeah ripping CD's can be great. I used to hit up my college library to take out CD's, and rip them into my digital collection. Got a lot of great world music that way.

I also think it's funny that doing that process, seems to come close to blurring the lines of illegality or "stealing" music, even though it's perfectly legal. Or wait, maybe it's not legal because then you have to return the CD's, so maybe you're not supposed to retain a copy of it? I hadn't really considered it that way, lol.

I mostly just buy an album on CD if I like it well enough. I have a CD collection, of course. Just like a game collection, I want to own it physically. Besides, my car is the best stereo that I have and that's where I do most of my listening. Otherwise, I'll rip it onto iTunes.

Downloading? Nah. Not when every song I'd want to maybe hear is on YouTube.

Quote Originally Posted by WarmSignal View Post
    I mostly just buy an album on CD if I like it well enough. I have a CD collection, of course. Just like a game collection, I want to own it physically. Besides, my car is the best stereo that I have and that's where I do most of my listening. Otherwise, I'll rip it onto iTunes.

Downloading? Nah. Not when every song I'd want to maybe hear is on YouTube.
    ^YouTube is good for playing almost any song / music vid, at my desk, but still:

It's not good for playing music on-the-go, imo. Web can cut out while driving. Or no web available, like my story of visiting the Rocky Mtns.

Plus even if web doesn't cut out, YouTube is plagued with ads. Even though it's only a few seconds... I hardly feel like I'm relaxing and listening to music, when every playback requires a new ad for car insurance, or whatever lol. Or the fact that repeating one song, requires a button push, which is not convenient while driving.

I guess YT can work OK if you've selected an album / playlist, so that it will play a set of songs that you want. But then you're still stuck with web cutting out, and annoying ads for Liberty Mutual car insurance lol.

By the way, I found the website for Pirate Bay -- just google it. But before, I was just trying piratebay.com, which goes to a completely different site, so I wasn't sure what was going on with that.

But now that I'm on piratebay, my 1st impressions are good that it recreates that experience of Napster / Limewire, of typing in a song etc. and getting a ton of choices, instantly. The sight of it alone takes me back to the old Limewire (or Napster) days.

I'll have to try a song and see if I can figure out how to open it, once the torrent is finished, because the file type came out as unable to open, the small handful of times that I've tried torrents before.

Thread Information