Quantcast

Thread: Crying Dragon unreleased prototype on eBay

Default Crying Dragon unreleased prototype on eBay

Hey guys and gals.
    Look what I just found on ebay.
    It is an unreleased Mega Drive game I never heard about before: Crying Dragon.
    If anyone is going to collect money to buy this and dump it afterwards I will gladly give some bucks.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CRYING-DR...wLva7J2jUKfAWc

I remember read this name in a random unreleased list... Hope that one that will get this Proto could preserve the game in the Internet and not simply hide this from the World...
    VISUAL SHOCK!
    SPEED SHOCK!
    SOUND SHOCK!
    NOW IS TIME TO THE 68000 HEART ON FIRE!

Shadow of the Beast II - Enhanced Colors:
    http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2275/

Sunset Riders - Enhanced Colors:
    http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2287/

Turrican - Fixed:
    http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2535/

The Cat in the Hat Shining Hero NeoVamp's Avatar

inb4 people trying to buy it to make it a legit release and failing and then we get nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by NeoVamp View Post
    inb4 people trying to buy it to make it a legit release and failing and then we get nothing.
    As soon as I saw the title of the thread I knew there would be someone trying to pick up the proto and attempt a legit release. I know its a dilemma, given the cost of most protos, but I honestly believe that if people want to see a proto dumped then its best to stay silent about it and then quietly dump the game without any prior fanfare. As soon as you announce a 'group-buy' or anything of that nature you're just inviting someone to snap up the game, attempt a legit release, realise that they can't achieve that and then hoard the rom for decades instead.

I've also yet to see a group buy work on a forum (though I'm sure its been achieved somewhere). There's always plenty of people who declare that they will "definitely contribute money to that", but then they all go quiet when it comes time to actually hand over the cash. Suddenly the excuses come thick and fast and everyone will simultaneously have "a whole shitload of unexpected bills this month, sorry dude".

I just realised that this post seems like I'm being a buzzkill, sorry, I'm not doing it deliberately. If a group buy of the rom actually comes to something then I wish you all the best with it, but there's no way I'm getting involved.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Moham View Post
    As soon as I saw the title of the thread I knew there would be someone trying to pick up the proto and attempt a legit release. I know its a dilemma, given the cost of most protos, but I honestly believe that if people want to see a proto dumped then its best to stay silent about it and then quietly dump the game without any prior fanfare. As soon as you announce a 'group-buy' or anything of that nature you're just inviting someone to snap up the game, attempt a legit release, realise that they can't achieve that and then hoard the rom for decades instead.

I've also yet to see a group buy work on a forum (though I'm sure its been achieved somewhere). There's always plenty of people who declare that they will "definitely contribute money to that", but then they all go quiet when it comes time to actually hand over the cash. Suddenly the excuses come thick and fast and everyone will simultaneously have "a whole shitload of unexpected bills this month, sorry dude".

I just realised that this post seems like I'm being a buzzkill, sorry, I'm not doing it deliberately. If a group buy of the rom actually comes to something then I wish you all the best with it, but there's no way I'm getting involved.
    Lots of people have key words notifications for prototypes, and sometimes the community doesn't even get to see something pop up on ebay because it is "sniped" and bought off site. I know at least of a couple of others undumped and unreleased games for Genesis that have been bought like that.

Anyways, this uses Monster World III engine clearly which means that it was developed by Ryuichi Nishizawa or his company. He told me not long ago he sold all the IP to a JP company which licensed everything to a EU company. Although records say it was to be published by Treco, which If my mind doesn't fail me, was bought out by Azure which is owned by Universal Entertainment.

My Jp team has already tried to make contact with Universal to acquire Mr. Doh, and some Treco and Seta properties with no success (too much money on the Pachinko biz, they don't care about their closed down gaming division). So I think this game is safe from someone acquiring the rights and legally releasing it.

Safe for a community dump! Pay away!

Quote Originally Posted by pikointeractive View Post
    Lots of people have key words notifications for prototypes, and sometimes the community doesn't even get to see something pop up on ebay because it is "sniped" and bought off site. I know at least of a couple of others undumped and unreleased games for Genesis that have been bought like that.

Anyways, this uses Monster World III engine clearly which means that it was developed by Ryuichi Nishizawa or his company. He told me not long ago he sold all the IP to a JP company which licensed everything to a EU company. Although records say it was to be published by Treco, which If my mind doesn't fail me, was bought out by Azure which is owned by Universal Entertainment.

My Jp team has already tried to make contact with Universal to acquire Mr. Doh, and some Treco and Seta properties with no success (too much money on the Pachinko biz, they don't care about their closed down gaming division). So I think this game is safe from someone acquiring the rights and legally releasing it.

Safe for a community dump! Pay away!

That changes absolutely nothing about what I said. Regardless of whether or not a game is 'safe for a community dump', getting money out of people for a group-buy rarely happens. Even if you think someone can't acquire the rights to legally release it, that doesn't stop some idiot from trying and then hoarding the rom for years. Maybe you should be the one organising a group-buy on this. Feel free to 'pay away', but I doubt you'll collect a penny from anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Moham View Post
    That changes absolutely nothing about what I said. Regardless of whether or not a game is 'safe for a community dump', getting money out of people for a group-buy rarely happens. Even if you think someone can't acquire the rights to legally release it, that doesn't stop some idiot from trying and then hoarding the rom for years. Maybe you should be the one organising a group-buy on this. Feel free to 'pay away', but I doubt you'll collect a penny from anyone.
    Oh my community dump comment was in sarcasm. Is not that bad when people buy unreleased IP to commercially release it. Specially since the community won't even pay themselves for a community dump.

Two times I contributed money for such things. Once for a group buy without a release (just sharing among the contributers) and one time for a rom release of an early TJ&E which did happen. So it can work (but yeah maybe these are rare exeptions).

Btw. Crying Dragon is already sold.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert MushaAleste's Avatar

Dodgy seller. I bought a Saturn game from him once and got nothing. This proto has been on sale on ebay quite a few times in the past. If i am not mistaken its a ryuji nishizawa game?

Hmm, maybe I was right. Start talking about a group buy and someone goes and snaps it up in a hurry (assuming it really has been sold).

I'll put this here again in case someone missed it:
    If you want to buy a proto for the purpose of dumping it, don't make a fuss. Just buy the proto and dump it without telling anyone your intentions. If rights holders know your plans (usually because you talked about it in an open forum), then they will have a reason to take preventative action against you first (even if some companies don't always bother).

Gromble of pirates...? Outrunner Bramsworth's Avatar

This has been up since last year and was originally priced at $4k. A practically unheard of, totally unreleased game from the golden era, and it's from a popular franchise to boot, and yet no one's picked it up even at $2k less than it was a year back. I'm not sure how it hasn't moved yet, but it's sort of confirmed my suspicions that there's actually no super rich proto guys out there getting anything they can get their hands on. This is more than cheap enough if that were the case. Auction is ended, but I don't think it sold, just ended, right?

I believe one factor for this thing not really getting any interest is because Brock from SMS Power (aka the guy behind the Dragon's Trap remake) apparently has a ROM of it, so it sort of cheapens the value. He mentioned on Twitter its just a collection of loosely connected maps, no sound of any sort, and very incomplete.
    I'm Pro A'can

Thread Information